Overnight in/ near Glasgow

Old Dec 5th, 2007, 02:38 AM
Original Poster

Overnight in/ near Glasgow

Hello, can anyone help?

We'll be driving from London to Kennacraig where we'll be catching a ferry to Islay. We reckon if we set off fairly early morning we can get as far as Glasgow on the first day and overnight there. That leaves us a few more hours drive before a 1pm ferry crossing from Kennacraig.

Does anyone have any suggestions for hotels/ B&Bs that might suit?

Would it be better to find something in the heart of Glasgow or to avoid the traffic and stay on the outskirts? If the latter, where would be best to stay in terms of roads/ routes?

We'd probably stay in same place on way home as well.

Thanks for your help!
Old Dec 5th, 2007, 07:52 AM

Hi Kavey, can't help but thought I would say hello. Roger.
Old Dec 5th, 2007, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

Howdy!
Old Dec 6th, 2007, 03:35 AM
Original Poster

Topping, anyone?
Old Dec 6th, 2007, 08:45 AM

I'll top again with a wave - sorry I can't help much

I did some research into the area when I was looking to find a place there myself, but decided to stay in the area between (and north!) of Edinburgh/Glasgow. Here are the ones I came up with, for what it's worth:

Adelaides GH (city centre)
Highland House B&B (Callander)
Riverview Guest House B&B (Callander)
The Inn & Bistro at Strathyre B&B (Strathyre)
Craigbuie House (Killin)
All are under £30 per person per night.
Old Dec 6th, 2007, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

Nice to see you! Thanks for the list.

I'm hoping someone who knows the city / area will chime in too as I'm still not sure whether we should go right into centre or bypass and stay on outskirts?
Old Dec 6th, 2007, 09:03 AM

Can't help specifically since I usually rent cottages for a week at a time when in that area. But I personally would not go into the center of Glasgow just for an overnight pit stop. Just too much traffic and hassle.

I'd probably either stay short of Glasgow like around Moffat and get an early start the next morning, or press on to just beyond Glasgow and stay on/near Loch Lomond (Balloch, Luss, etc.)
Old Dec 7th, 2007, 03:01 AM
Original Poster

I looked at Moffat as the location would be good for a stop. But I didn't know anything about whether it would be a good/ bad place to stop. I wouldn't be first in line for an overnighter in East Kilbride, for example, so wanted some input on outskirt locations that would be suitable for an alternative stop!
Old Dec 7th, 2007, 09:35 AM

Moffat is fine and there are lots of accomodations in all types/price ranges
Old Dec 7th, 2007, 09:49 AM

Either stay in the city or west of the centre - there are plenty of small hotels along Sauchiehall Street from where its easy to get to Great Western Road which takes you all the way to Loch Lomond without making a turn.
Google "hotel Sauchiehall Street" for choices.
Take a stroll to Kelvingrove park/University in the evening.
(pronounced Suckyhall)
Old Dec 7th, 2007, 06:02 PM

Kavey,

I'm from Glasgow & I'm with janisj on this one - I wouldn't come into the city unless you wanted to spend some time here, which I gather isn't the case.

I don't want to sound discouraging but you're giving yourself a lot of driving to do on both days, even before you catch the ferry.

My first reaction was to suggest stopping somewhere South of the city since you'll have had a long drive from London behind you (Moffat would have worked).

However, you've also got a fair drive ahead of you the next day. I must confess I've never actually been to Kennacraig but I'd imagine it's probably a good 3 hour drive from Glasgow? Maybe even more as the roads in that part of the country don't always allow for fast driving.

I suppose what I'm really saying is that if you have to be at Kennacraig for 1.00 then you should probably get as far up the road as you possibily can on the drive up from London.

Balloch is a small tourist town at the foot of Loch Lomond, just off the A82 & about half an hour's drive North West from Glasgow. Although I can't offer any personal recommendations, there are plenty of small hotels & B&Bs in the area which would allow you a good start on your drive to Kennacraig the next day.

If you can drive as far as Arrochar or Inveraray that would be even better, but I suspect that might be just too far to aim for.

Jim
Old Dec 7th, 2007, 08:26 PM

JJBhoy is right that Moffat does leave you quite a long drive day 2. If you can get an early start, that's OK. But if you have trouble getting going really early a.m., then pressing on to at least Balloch would be best.

But I just had another thought - are you driving a personal car, or a rental?

If a rental, have you considered taking the train to Glasgow or flying to GLA and hiring a car from there. That would make your drive totally doable/reasonable.

(Of course - if you are using your own car that isn't practical)
Old Dec 9th, 2007, 08:38 AM

We've used the Black Bull in Moffat as a pit stop a couple of times.
Old Dec 10th, 2007, 02:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone!
The main reason for the looong drives is that we really can't justify taking an extra day/ additional overnight and making the holiday even longer.
We have 8 additional weeks of holiday booked in 2008 (we're self employed) and that's more than is financially wise. I just don't want to extend it any further.
We can share the driving so it should be OK I'm hoping.
We have no problem getting up early but will have a real think about the options you've provided in terms of where to overnight.

Anyone driven London to Glasgow and know how long it takes? I've used google maps and theaa to get time estimates and then padded them but still not sure how accurate they are.
Old Dec 10th, 2007, 04:01 AM

Hi Kavey. In the days when I sometimes did it in a friend's car, it used to take c. 8 hours from London to Edinburgh, so Glasgow won't be much less. (It surprised me initially that the fastest Lon-Edi route is via the west coast ! So it's the same journey as far as J13 of the M74.)

I usually look at AA timings and add 1/4-1/3 on.

Flying to Glasgow & hiring a car would indeed be much easier, but a lot more expensive.
Old Dec 10th, 2007, 04:32 AM
Original Poster

My estimates were coming out at about 8 hours so that sounds OK...

That's doable for us.

We'll make sure we set of extra early the next day to ensure we get to Kennacraig in time for the 12.30 check in!
Old Dec 10th, 2007, 06:39 AM

Every time I've driven to Glasgow or Edinburgh in one day it has been from west of the city (LHR, Windsor, or Oxford)

Actual car time has averaged about 7+ hours. Adding rest/meal stops I usually plan about 9 hours.
Old Jan 15th, 2008, 01:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Janis
We'll be starting from North London, we live about 10 minutes drive from Junction 2 of the M1.
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 01:07 PM
Original Poster

Opted for the Abbotsford Hotel in Dumbarton in the end...

It'll be a LONG day on the first day, about 7-8 hours driving PLUS breaks but we'll share the driving plus we'll set off early so should still get to the hotel in plenty of time to enjoy a nice meal in the hotel restaurant.

It looks quite nice and scores well on tripadvisor.

And that leaves us a reasonable drive the next day to get to Kennacraig by 12.30 for the ferry crossing at 1.00

Old Jan 17th, 2008, 01:17 PM

Ha! we'll beat you! We're on the first ferry.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO