Overnight in London

Apr 11th, 2017, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

Overnight in London

Hello! If you had 24 hours (less actually) in London (arr LHR 2pm, then 3pm flight to US the following day), would you spend the night in the LHR vicinity or go to the city?. We just can't make up our minds.
If we stay in (Central) London, it'll probably be 4-ish by the time we get checked in. That leaves just enough time for dinner (and catch a show perhaps)? We'd like to do/see something, we just don't know what with the time we have. We've seen the 'main attractions' on a previous trip. Suggestions? We'd appreciate it very much!
Apr 11th, 2017, 09:55 AM

With those hours I'd stay in London somewhere along the Piccadilly tube line.

(If I had an early morning flight out I'd stay near the airport)
Apr 11th, 2017, 11:23 AM

Ditto on the Piccadilly Line.

The Piccadilly Line (which goes to Heathrow) has two stops convenient to the theater district: Piccadilly Circus and Leicester Square. If you get a hotel within walking distance of that area, you can easily catch a play. Not sure what your taste is, but when we have been in London, we tend toward the more "British" fare rather than the local versions of Broadway staples.

Not sure what you mean by "we've seen the main attractions". Have you been to the Churchill War Rooms? Your problem is that you'll have to back at Heathrow by 1 pm the next day, and a lot of attractions don't open till 10 a.m. The War Room, however, opens at 9:30, can be seen in an hour or so, and is only 10 minutes or so from the the theatre district by bus or tube.

Another morning option is a self-guided walk from Trafalgar to Westminster -- if you're not into museums.

A completely different transport possibility is the Heathrow Express—15 to 20 min. to Paddington—and get a hotel near there. I'm not that familiar with the area, but other Fodorites can steer you toward things to do close by in the evening and morning.

ssander
Apr 11th, 2017, 12:07 PM

>>The Piccadilly Line (which goes to Heathrow) has two stops convenient to the theater district: Piccadilly Circus and Leicester Square.<<

More details. There are more than 2 stations (and more than one 'theatre district' for that matter) -- Covent Garden and Holborn are also very convenient to many West End theatres. There are also theatres in other parts of town.
Apr 11th, 2017, 01:24 PM
Original Poster

Thank you janisj and ssander! I'm going to start looking for a place to stay along the Piccadilly Line. Any hotel recs under $200?
ssander - yes, we have been to the Churchill War Rooms. By main attractions, I meant the British Museum, Westminster Abbey, St. Paul's Cathedral, National Gallery, V & A, Tower of London, etc). I'll look into the self-guided tour if it doesn't take too long. We'd like to be at LHR 3-hrs before our flight. We like the small productions, we thoroughly enjoyed 39 Steps last time we were there.

Search this Thread