Search

Oveido

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 1999, 01:31 PM
Les

Oveido

I am looking for information on a villa in Oveido, Spain. My grandfather, Jose (Pepe) Diaz, had told me tales of our family home there and I understand that it now serves as a Hotel or Villa for Rent. <BR> <BR>Any information would be appreciated. <BR> <BR>Les

Old May 5th, 1999, 07:51 PM
Al

The capital of Asturias is spelled: Oviedo. Have you checked for a web site?

Old May 5th, 1999, 10:46 PM
covadonga

Hi, Les. <BR>Oviedo is not a big city by american standards, but it is big enough and quite nice a place. You have plenty of things to do and visit there, like the cathedral of San Salvador, or the preromanic churches in the mountain of El Naranco. They really deserve a visit. Then you can go up to the mountains, visit Cangas de Onis, Covadonga, Picos de Europa, or go to the coast and have a brilliant fish dinner. <BR> <BR>Pepe Diaz is quite a common surname in Spain. Could you ask your grandfather to be more specific about their place? Is it located in Oviedo, or in one of the "concellos" in Asturias (east or west, coast or mountain)? Right now there are many old houses reconverted into small hotels or kind of bed and breakfasts, and many of them are really nice to visit. <BR> <BR>You could begin with these these two web addresses. The first one belongs to the "España Verde" of "Green Spain", an association of the spanish atlantic regions, not exactly what you would think typical spanish. <BR>http://www.spaintour.com/verde.htm <BR> <BR>The second one is an Asturias URL. I am afraid it´s only in Spanish, you could begin with Turismo. <BR>http://www.asturnet.es/ <BR> <BR>Good luck.

Old May 19th, 1999, 10:16 AM
Les

Thank you for the responses. I have been doing my homework and now find out that the town I am looking for is not Oviedo itself, but a smaller town just outside of Oviedo. It is Pravia. any Info would be appreciated. <BR> <BR>Les

Old Jul 25th, 1999, 03:35 AM
Maira

Pravia is a small town in the province of Asturias (Northern Spain). Roman origins. Population less than 10,000 people. The phone number of the city hall is (98)582 0015. Strongly recommend that if calling, try to get somebody that speaks Galician (gallego) or Spanish. You may also want to write City Hall where a lot of records are kept. The name of the Mayor is Don Juan Carlos Guerrero Arias, and his address is Plaza Marquesa de Casa Valdés, 1. 33120 Pravia.