Nov 19th, 2004, 09:12 AM
Original Poster
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 314

Given the current political situation in the USA, and the fact that my dear dog just died, and some other considerations, I am thinking of moving to England to work for a couple of years. There are clearly positions in my field (fundraising for charities), and my father is English by birth. Does anyone have any clues about how to start the process of moving? Do I need to get a job first, or get the permits first?

Thanks for your help!
fairfax is offline  
Nov 19th, 2004, 09:19 AM
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 7,899
Buy a one-way ticket!
tomboy is offline  
Nov 19th, 2004, 09:21 AM
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 3,323
Of course you don't need a job if you don't need to work, speak to British consulate/embassies. Where in England do you wish to work? I'm quite sure your father was British by birth.
m_kingdom2 is offline  
Nov 19th, 2004, 09:26 AM
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 219
atlcity is offline  
Nov 19th, 2004, 09:32 AM
Original Poster
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 314
I do need to work, if only to keep my sanity. I've applied for a couple of postions in London, since that looks like where most of the upper level positions in fundraising are located.

I think what I meant about my father being English, was does that have any bearing on work permits? I know it does on the passport issue.

It's actually not just the political situation, it's the fact that a bunch of other things are aligning so that I can realistically think about doing this move.
fairfax is offline  
Nov 19th, 2004, 09:32 AM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 92,748
Generally speaking for Europe- If you are hired for a position, that company will provide your working legal documents. That is easier than obtaining them on your own.

I'll guess that the government website is the place to start to find out the different types of permits allowing you to stay in the UK longer than as a tourist visit for pleasure.
suze is online now  
Nov 19th, 2004, 09:42 AM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,766
I worked legally in London after receiving a work permit before I left the US. I was then able to apply for any job in the UK. I ended up working at a restaurant with all the proper paper work and no problems.
jor is offline  
Nov 19th, 2004, 09:43 AM
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 298
The Foriegn and Commonwealth Office administers visas.

Check out http://www.fco.gov.uk/servlet/Front?...=1006977149953

HogtownJim is offline  
Nov 19th, 2004, 09:48 AM
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 17,211
What permits?

If your father is British, the likelihood is that you are able to claim British nationality. In which case, you just get your passport, wave it at the Heathrow passport officer and do what you want to do. When you've found a job, your employer will explain the trivial bureaucracy around registering for tax and national insurance: your local doctor's receptionist will explain about medical registration. Otherwise, what permitting wouod you expect there to be?

Moving to the UK would then be about as complicated as moving to another US city. You might go via the IND website (http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/ind/en/home.html), or you might phone your nearest British consulate. But be aware that nothing in British citizenship law is necessarily what you might expect.

If you turn out not to be British, or don't want to claim British citizenship,it gets a lot messier. If you qualify for the Highly Skilled Migrant Programme, you wait the decade or two it takes the system to process your application, then turn up. If you don't, then ultimately you have to find a potential employer to sponsor you before you settle here.

That might be tricky.
flanneruk is offline  
Nov 19th, 2004, 10:29 AM
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 364

And if Britain doesn't work out, try France.

Infotrack is offline  
Nov 19th, 2004, 10:37 AM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 11,449
While your father may be English by birth, I think you need to check with the nearest UK Consulate office for your status and the required documentation.

My wife is Irish. But my children still needed to file the proper documentation with the Irish Consulate in NY in order to be granted passports and citizenship by the Irish government.

I would make sure you have your documents in order before seeking a job as laws vary from country to country about their ability to offer employment to non-residents.
Ryan is offline  
Nov 19th, 2004, 10:38 AM
Posts: n/a
So sorry about your dear dog. It's an enormous grief, I know from experience. At least Engalnd is a very dog-firendly place. And part of me agrees re: wanting to leave but the nasties here remind me that maybe we need people like you to stay and deal with them. They do wear one out, though.

If you get the job first, the rest will be much easier -- big corps. tend to have relo advisers who know the ropes. Suggestion -- although I don't know your field: contact Brit. companies with US offices or affiliates (e.g., Glaxo). If you land a job there, you might be able to come back later with continuity in employment.
Nov 19th, 2004, 10:46 AM
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 19,419
And if you encounter similar problems in England, which country is next on your list, I wonder.
FainaAgain is offline  
Nov 19th, 2004, 10:49 AM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 74,414
Dear ff,

Have you considered asking the local British Consulate or the British Embassy?

ira is offline  
Nov 19th, 2004, 11:04 AM
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 22,798
1. I am very sorry about your dog, I know how hard that is.

2. I don't blame you for wanting to live in England for a couple of years. I would love to do the same just to really experience life in the UK. Also it would be great to be able to take off to Paris, Spain, etc. for the weekend.


3. Every country has it's problems, and you cannot run from those. If you want to make a difference, it's better to stay here and help change things. While the UK might not have the exact same issues we have, there will still be something you don't like. I'm not saying one country is any better than the other, but running away from America's problems is not the way to solve them.
P_M is online now  
Nov 19th, 2004, 11:17 AM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 9,642
Just because one's father is British by birth doesn't automatically entitle one to a British passport. Maybe yes, maybe no, there are a lot of rules. My husband's mother is British, but had he been born in the U.S., he wouldn't have automatically been eligible for a British passport. Fortunately, he was born in Canada, so he *does* have the Right of Abode, giving him the unrestricted right to work and live in the UK. And as his wife, I too have that right--I've got a big Settlement Wife visa in my U.S. passport. But even though the British consulate in NYC told me I was "automatically" entitled to that visa, there was still a LOT of paperwork and palaver. Also expenses.
At any rate, yes, you need the residency or work permits before moving. I work in a high demand field with a high demand (medical writing) and get calls and emails from headhunters regularly, even they say they wouldn't go through the work permit process for me.
Don't forget that salaries in the UK are lower than salaries for similar jobs in the U.S. yet the cost of living can be higher.
Good luck!
BTilke is offline  
Nov 19th, 2004, 11:22 AM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 367

Good for you for taking the high road and ignoring the naysayers. Here's wishing you much luck....hopefully you will consider coming back and I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your dog.
Renee is offline  
Nov 19th, 2004, 11:27 AM
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 3,605
If you're not already familiar with it, this site will allow you to search the Register of Charities for England and Wales:


The extracts show contact information, trustees, budgets, etc. which should be helpful for your job search.

If you're a CFRE, you might contact them to get advice about making a career in England. Lastly, try posting your question on idealist.org; I'm sure you'll get good first-hand advice.

Good luck.

mvor is offline  
Nov 19th, 2004, 11:55 AM
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 353
I wish you well and hope your exit is quick and painless.

Recommend you get a good dental exam and correct any serious problems before you go as well as taking care of any elective minor operations.

hansikday is offline  
Nov 19th, 2004, 12:10 PM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 3,491
Waiting time in US for elective surgery is approaching 4 months in some places. Dental work is at least paid for in UK as needed -- or were you just making the same tired joke about bad British teeth? Have to wonder whether the naysayers here believe you shouldn't come back if you leave because only those who love the government should stay, or whether you should come back but grovel and vote their way thereafter.

Any international sections/classifieds in the Chronicle of Philanthropy?

soccr is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:37 PM.