Our plans....Venice to Tuscany..suggestions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12th, 2008, 01:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are flying into Venice late April, taking a 7 day Mediterranean cruise out of Venice. Upon return, we plan to rent a car and drive to Cell Sul Rigo near Chiusi, where we will spend a week at an agriturismo known as Il Poggio. We want to visit charming Tuscan and Umbrian Towns. We've already been to Siena, Florence, San Gimignano,and Orvieto. After the week, we will drive to Rome, drop off the car at FCO, and fly home. Any suggestions from the experts on the board. Did invest in a GPS with maps of Europe. Are we making a mistake driving from Venice and back to Rome instead of the train?? Think the car for the week will be about $500 US. Thanks so much.
Old Jan 12th, 2008, 02:23 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi linda,

why should you think what you are doing is a mistake? it looks a lot of fun to me.

i like of the agroturismo for a week and U$500 for a week's car hire doesn't look expensive. without the car, you'd be quite limited in getting around in an agroturismo, defeating the object of staying there.

the drive from Venice to Tuscany is quite pleasant, - you can take in Verona and the south of lake garda.

regards, ann
Old Jan 12th, 2008, 09:11 PM

I agree with Ann: the drive from Venice to Tuscany is quite pleasant; and, as you will use GPS, even you should try to avoid highways the most you can.

Ciao.

Vincenzo
Old Jan 12th, 2008, 10:23 PM

Linda74,
If you are looking for suggestions for day trips send me an e-mail. I have a large file that is too long to post.

Henry
Old Jan 13th, 2008, 05:46 AM
Original Poster

OK, I was just wondering if we would be better off to train from Venice and back to Rome and rent the car in Chiusi. But it sounds like our plan so far will work well.
Old Jan 13th, 2008, 07:42 AM

Last August, we flew into Venice for three days picked up a rental car and took 10 days driving through the countryside to get to Rome for 3 days before flying home to the States. I could list all the lovely places we visited along the way but my chief suggestion would be not to miss the opportunity to drive through Le Marche. And, if time allows, see the castle in Gradara, the Furlo Gorge, visit Urbino - or just enjoy the mountain scenery (it's so different from Tuscany).

On the way to Rome, you might consider a side trip to Narni, small but a wonderful setting, and the Cascata d. Marmore near Terni, if you don't mind getting a little wet.
The ride back towards Rome along the small road going south out of Narni has some breathtaking views - when I was willing to open my eyes! There were a couple of sheer drops along the way.
Old Jan 13th, 2008, 11:24 AM

We are doing a similar trip in September, but will see Rome for 4-5 days before our cruise out of Venice. We were going to take the train from Rome to Venice, but now I think it might be better(more fun)to drive, that way we can see the towns along the way. I have been to Italy before but my DH has not, would it be worth it for us to try to see Florence on our way to Venice? I think David is just too spectacular to miss and I don't know when we might get back...

Sorry didn't mean to go on so long!
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 10:45 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi ivillinois,

well you can certainly drive from Rome to Vencie in 4-5 days, but you won't get mcuh time in Florence. if you were content with just 1-2 nights there, depending on where else you want to see/stop, you would be fine.

you can now book a time slot at the uffizi and the accademia galleries on their official web-site, for just the same extra 3e that you pay when booking by phone. no need to use expensive booking agents.

the website is

www.polomuseale.firenze.it. if you scroll right down to the bottom, you'll see the button for the english version.

good luck,

regards, ann
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 11:16 AM

Several years ago, we took a similar trip (except for the cruise part) - including flying into Venice and staying at Il Poggio.

We picked up our rental car as we left Venice, but spent two nights in Ferrera on the way (also visited Verona, Bologna and Ravenna). We left Ravenna at about 2 pm and arrived at Il Poggio in the early evening. I don't know exactly when, but we had time to sit on the lovely terrace, drinks in hand.

Enjoy!
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 12:32 PM

We did similar in November 07. Cruised round trip from Venice and upon return picked up rental car and drove to Florence and the Chianti region. Very easy drive to Florence from Venice. We did have lots of rain and foggy conditions in mountains but not major delay. We drove from Tuscany via Pisa and Cinque Terre to Malpensa and turned in car at airport and flew home from there.

Your plan is fine. Just be ready to spend lots of Euros on petro. It is expensive as I am sure you know.

Old Jan 14th, 2008, 04:33 PM

I really hope you don't miss Verona. Really charming.
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 07:30 PM

thanks for the reply, ann...really don't know what we're going to do now! I'm leaning towards most of our time in Rome, then up to Venice the day before our cruise and save Florence for another time. I think those 3 cities in 5-6 days shortchanges them all.