Reload this Page >

Our dream honeymoon - Italian style

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27th, 2002, 06:12 AM
Sara

My fiancees parents have presented us with the best gift of all, a fully booked honeymoon. I wanted to see what people think of this itinerary, and the hotels, because we are free to make changes.<BR><BR>Day 1, 2, 3, 4 - Arrive in Rome, limo to Positano- stay 3 nights at the Le Sirenuse, explore Positano, Capri, Sorrento, Naples.<BR><BR>Day 4, 5, 6- Stay in villa outside of Montalcino. Explore Southern Tuscan towns and Siena. we will be driving in rental car that we will drop off in Florence on day 6.<BR><BR>Day 6, 7, 8- Check into Villa Michelle in Florence in the evening. Spend 2 days in Florence. Take train to venice.<BR><BR>Day 8, 9 , 10- Gritti Palace in Venice<BR><BR>Mid-afternoon on the 10th, catch place to Sardinia. Stay at cala di Volpe for 2 nights.<BR><BR>Evening of the 12th day- fly to Rome and stay at the Hassler for 2 nights, and fly back to US on day 14.<BR><BR>We have been to rome before, so we were actually considering deleting that segment, although we will only really be there for one full day. Is this too rushed??? Would you change anything?

Old Sep 27th, 2002, 06:22 AM
Sarabeth

Gosh, sounds perfect to me...we stayed at Le Sirenuse....heaven..don't forget to go to Pompeii. Also along the Amalfi Coast there is Ravello, Amalfi and Vietri sul Mari (pottery heaven).<BR>When are you going? I can give you some great restaurants if you like...oh, also take a day trip to Capri.<BR>You might want one more day in Florence and I'm not sure that going to Sardinia might be too much..maybe cut that and spend one more day on the Amalfi Coast and one more day in Florence...to go through the airport thing might not be the thing you want to do after relaxing and just for 2 nights...<BR>just my opinion....

Old Sep 27th, 2002, 07:04 AM
a

It sounds wonderful. However, it is busy and the trip to Sardinia may be just a little too much. It depends on your travel style and how you desire to spend your honeymoon.

Old Sep 27th, 2002, 07:36 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Wow--that is a fantasy trip. Sure glad I am not paying fo it.

Old Sep 27th, 2002, 08:04 AM
CLCFLORIDA

I too am planning my honeymoon: We are doing: <BR>4 nights Santa Caterina in Amalfi<BR>4 nights Palzaa Ravizza in Siena<BR>3 nights Florence...still working on picking a hotel.<BR><BR>How does this sound?<BR><BR>We are going to spend 1 day in Rome on the way from Naples to Siena. I would love any other suggestions also.

Old Sep 27th, 2002, 09:16 AM
Patrick

Since we're spending someone else's money (and isn't that fun?) I'd personally cut the flight and two nights in Sardinia. Instead I'd opt for two nights at Villa d'Este, on Lake Como. Have several friends who started their honeymoons there and it remains their favorite memory.<BR><BR>In fact, if possible I'd fly into Milan and start the trip at Villa d'Este, then do Venice, Florence, and Tuscany, ending with the time in Positano, and then flying home from Rome.<BR><BR>

Old Sep 27th, 2002, 09:55 AM
Need

"Day 4, 5, 6- Stay in villa outside of Montalcino."<BR><BR>What is the name of the villa? I am having a hard time finding villas that can be rented for less than 1 week.

Old Sep 27th, 2002, 11:27 AM
Nycer

I just got back from 16 days in Italy, only three places: Positano, Rome, and Tuscany, and it wasn't enough time in any of those places. <BR><BR>My rec's would be:<BR>1) Extend your stay on the Amalfi Coast (I stayed at Le Sirenuse, it is wonderful), maybe split time between Le Sirenuse and Hotel Palumbo in Ravello. <BR>2) Cut out Sardinia and go another time<BR>3) Definitely stay in Rome longer, but stay at Hotel De Russie, the new cool luxury hotel.

Old Sep 29th, 2002, 08:41 AM
Dona

Sungoddess -<BR><BR>What a wonderful wedding gift!<BR><BR>I agree with Patrick. I'd bag Sardegna and stay at Villa D'Este instead. I thought it was an incredible place - and not a bad "last memory" for this wonderful trip [although each place will be memorable]. It's certainly easier to get to than Sardegna, and you could fly directly out of Milan [and skip Rome]. <BR><BR>I'd also keep the order of your cities exactly the same - unless Patrick has a reason for reversing them...<BR><BR>Enjoy this fabulous trip.

Old Sep 29th, 2002, 09:25 AM
Patrick

Not a real major reason, but assuming you can do a Milan/Rome open jaw flight, rather that have that long ride from Rome to Positano on arrival, I'd opt for the first night at Villa d'Este -- the real "honeymoon" palace hotel of the lot. Nothing to do there, but relax and enjoy the exquisite pampering. Also I believe you have a greater appreciation for Rome at the end of a stay in Italy, rather than the beginning. A better place to end than to start.

Old Sep 29th, 2002, 02:59 PM
rich

consider going to splendido hotel in portofino, beyond romantic. if you go to villa d'este, just outside the gates on the road that you take to get to the hotel is a really fun, casual restaurant that has great pizza and pasta. if your going to the hotel it's on your left, if walking from the hotel it's the first place on your right, i'm sorry i can't remember the name but you can't miss it. the hotel food is stuffy and expensive. take the 5 mionute walk into town.

Old Sep 29th, 2002, 07:01 PM
Dona

Sara -<BR><BR>If you do decide on Villa D'Este, I agree with Rich - give the restaurants in Cernobbio a chance. We ate at a lovely spot, Harry's Bar [no relation to Harry's Bar in the big cities - thank goodness...]. Ate at a table on the small piazza. A very nice change...<BR><BR>Dona

Old Sep 30th, 2002, 01:50 AM
wayne

Wow what a dream honeymoon. Your parents must really love you alot to spend on the best hotels. I'd skip Sardinia. Go to Capri since you are in the amalfi area. Can I ask how much the whole trip will cost? I may want to do a similar one if I strike the lottery. *envy*

Old Sep 30th, 2002, 05:35 AM
reread

Wayne.... I believe she said HIS parents were paying for it.

Old Sep 30th, 2002, 06:58 PM
wayne

Oops. No wonder I cant be a lawyer. OK his parents must love both of you alot...