Other Swiss towns for hiking

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8th, 2017, 06:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are Americans and have been to Switzerland several times. We can't find any other country that is as beautiful. (The south island of NZ is a close runner up to Switzerland - we went there last year). We are planning a trip in Sept. 2017 and are looking for recommendations for a different beautiful destination to go hiking (as in easy to moderate). We are in our 60's and can't do what we used to, but still can hike as much 5 or 6 miles, as long as there is not a lot of elevation gain. Is there another area that is comparable to the Lauterbrunnen area, besides St. Moritz and Zermatt or should we just go back to the Berner Oberland? We have spent 11 days in Wengen (our favorite place on earth), a week in Pontresina (near St. Moritz) and 4 days in Zermatt on 3 different trips. We also went to Chamonix, the French Alps. We have also been to the Italian Alps, the Dolomites, and are considering going back to that area. We only spent 4 days there and I feel like there is probably a lot more to see. Where do you recommend?
Old Jul 8th, 2017, 07:05 PM
kja

You might want to consider the glorious Lower Engadine (Guarda, Scuol, etc.).
Old Jul 8th, 2017, 07:36 PM

Hi ellenofthelake,

Yes, I agree with kja above -- you may want to try Scuol and that area. I spent 4 or 5 nights there a few years ago, and I thought the hiking was fabulous. I loved seeing so many hikers -- folks and families geared up to spend the day outside on the mountains, rather than folks standing around in town with cameras. The entire feel of the place was different.

Another area you may want to consider is the area around Gstaad, which lies between Montreux (Lake Geneva) and the Jungfrau region. The area is not nearly as dramatic as the Jungfrau area or the Engadin because instead of dramatic peaks and valleys, it has soft, green, rolling hills. I personally think it's prettier, and it attracts me more. The mountains there are around 2,000m rather than the 3000+m of the other areas. You can walk between towns (Saanen to Gstaad, Rougemont to Gstaad, Schönreid to Gstaad) or around the mountains of Wispile & Eggli, among others. The folks you'll see here are neither gawker-type tourists nor serious hikers; the area was "discovered" by the rich 'n famous in the 1960s (Richard Burton, Elizabeth Taylor, David Niven), and you can see that legacy in the many gourmet restaurants, upscale shops, and the English-language school in Saanen. You'll see folks who may not have been born there but who are residents or semi-permanent residents and who are not standing around in awe.

Some photos of my experience in the area:

Saanen
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...wiss_Alps.html

Gstaad
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...wiss_Alps.html

Gstaad to Saanen
https://swandav.shutterfly.com/434

Wispile Walk
https://swandav.shutterfly.com/333

Hope you find a good place, and have fun as you plan!

s
Old Jul 9th, 2017, 07:02 AM

Another vote for Scuol and the Lower Engadine. September is probably a bit too early for foliage (the larch trees turn an incredible yellow/gold in the Engadine!), unfortunately.
Old Jul 10th, 2017, 10:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
>Wengen our favourite place on earth<

Mine, too!

If I had terminal cancer, I would go there to die just so I could look down at the Lauterbrunnen Valley from Wengen.

Thin