Orvieto visit

Apr 15th, 2005, 06:18 AM
Original Poster

Orvieto visit

Just wanted to post this seperately as well for all of you in the planning stages.

THERE IS NO LUGGAGE STORAGE AT THE TRAIN STATION IN ORVIETO.

We heard that this is true now for most of the hill towns. Please check this carefully.

We were very frustrated when we arrived because we read in Rick Steve's book and were told on the phone by one of his staff that we COULD store our luggage there. NO ONE in that station spoke English and it took us about 20 minutes to find someone to help.

We finally ended up going to the hotel across the street and paying them to keep our luggage for the day. It was money well spent because you would have a difficult time doing much dragging your bags behind you. And Orvieto is a GREAT town. Definately eat at Il Sette Consoli, one of the best meals of our trip.

Hope this helps everyone else avoid some frustration!
Jun 12th, 2005, 10:04 AM

Thanks for the info.
We plan to stop in Orvieto for a few hours on the way to Rome, and were wondering if the train station had luggage storage.
What is the name of the hotel were you stored your luggage?

Thanks,
Greg
Jun 12th, 2005, 06:38 PM

Volgreg,

Be sure to get to Orvieto early enough to take the underground tour. Facinating!

Buon viaggio!
Jun 12th, 2005, 06:43 PM

This must be a fairly new thing, because my friends and I stored luggage there on a trip 4 years ago. (We badly planned everything else about our stop in Orvieto, having bought our train tickets before we found out the car rental place (where we were to return our car before taking the train to Rome) was closed for two hours for lunch, so by the time we'd gotten to the top of the funicular we had to eat lunch immediately and get back down to return our car and make the train. Typical vacation blunder!)
Jun 13th, 2005, 04:22 AM
Original Poster

The hotel was Europa. It is across the street from the train station (to the left).
Jun 13th, 2005, 05:56 PM

motor_city_girl - thanks for the info.

Dayle - What time does the underground tour start?

Doriana - "This must be a fairly new thing, because my friends and I stored luggage there on a trip 4 years ago." Stored where - the train terminal or the hotel?

Again Thanks
Greg

Jun 13th, 2005, 07:36 PM

We stored luggage at the train terminal 4 years ago.
Jun 14th, 2005, 06:12 AM

Volgreg,

It was 5 years ago, but I believe they offered an English speaking tour 2 x daily. I think one at 10 am and one in the afternoon. I would contact the Orvieto visitor's office to be sure and also to make sure you get tickets in advance. Groups are limited.

Buon viaggio!
Jun 14th, 2005, 07:08 AM

What is the big draw to Orvieto? It sounds like a nice and easy day trip from Rome?
Jun 14th, 2005, 07:16 AM

It is an easy daytrip from Rome. As mentioned above, don't miss the underground tour of the Etruscan caves.
Jun 14th, 2005, 07:20 AM
ira

Hi 333,

See http://www.italyheaven.co.uk/orvieto.html
Jun 14th, 2005, 12:56 PM
Original Poster

The underground tours are offered in Enlgish at 12 PM and 5 PM. It was very interesting.

The big draw for Orvieto is that it offers beautiful views (it is literally a cliff), it has great food (I Sette Consoli), famous wine (Classico), amazing Duomo, good shopping, and friendly people. It is also very easy to get to.
Jun 14th, 2005, 01:15 PM

And may I also say, it is a charming town to stroll around, there are LOTS of good restaurants, and some of the very best gelato in Italy (to the left of the duomo).
Jun 14th, 2005, 02:47 PM

Again Thanks to all. Saved this thread to apply on my itenarary

ira great link, thanks

motor city girl our Italy Daytrips book say tours at 10:00am and noon. We plan to arrive early from Florence to enjoy one of those tours, and thanks for the wine & food recommendations.

Greg
Jun 14th, 2005, 04:20 PM

Ira, I want the numbers for saturdays lottery. Remember Johnny Carsons bit with the turbin;was the characters name Kornac? Again I tip my hat to you...
Jun 14th, 2005, 05:38 PM
Original Poster

VolGreg...it is always possible times change. We were just there in April, but better to be safe than sorry. I will say that we went at 11 AM on the Italian tour because of our lunch reservations. We lucked out because there was only one other family on the tour that spoke a little Enlish. They had two kids who kept having meltdowns (NOT a trip for kids!) and the guide spoke to us in English while they distracted their kids with cookies! LOL, but actually the tour is so pretty I am not sure you have to have the spoken part. Enjoy!

Marilyn is right about there being LOTS of great restaurants but if you are looking for an EXPERIENCE not just a good meal, you should try I Sette Consoli. Ask ira if you don't believe me!
Jun 14th, 2005, 07:41 PM

The draw of Orvieto? Many! If you are lucky enough to drive to Orvieto and see the mosaic fasade of the Duomo glowing in the sunlight at the top of the tufa- you'll know!

My favorite impression of Orvieto was the contrast of a very hip, modern city inside an ancient covering. You have the narrow, cobblestone streets lined with modern art galleries and wine shops. Excellent restaurants and interesting shops. You find an internet cafe or a totally amazing, up to the minute Italian design, home furnishings shop inside an ancient stone building.

We stayed for 3 nights in Orvieto and did day trips from there. Great town to stay overnight in and to enjoy the passagiatta with the residents. At night, we felt like the only tourists.

Besides the underground tour, there is a very interesting Etruscan tomb archeological site, the historic well, very nice people.

Civita di Bagnoreggio is also a short drive from Orvieto and well worth a 1/2 day visit.

Buon viaggio!
Jun 15th, 2005, 05:00 AM
ira

Hi Lil,

Thanks for the kind words.

Carnac The Magnificent.

Jul 24th, 2005, 12:44 PM

I am trying to get a little more informantion on Orvieto. We are thinking about an overnight trip. We will be arriving from Rome by train. Does anyone have any advice on where to stay? (Hotel Duomo?) We will be walking so would like a hotel convenient to the shops and restaurants. Thank you .
Jul 24th, 2005, 01:27 PM

Hotel Duomo will try charge you in US DOLLARS if you're not on your toes, this is called Dynamic Currency Conversion and definitely does not benefit you, the consumer. Either verify before they swipe your credit card or pay in cash in EURO. If you haven't been following the threads on this, type <dynamic currency> (without the carets) into the search box at the top of the page to ensure you understand it before you go to Italy. In my three-week trip this spring, the Hotel Duomo was the only place I encountered this despicable (and probably illegal) practice. Otherwise the hotel was fine and I'd stay there again, but I wouldn't tolerate being charged in USD.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO