Reload this Page >

Orvieto hotels - Hotels Maitani, Virgilio or Palazzo Piccolomini

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7th, 2001, 06:48 PM
JJ

<BR>Hi everyone, <BR> <BR>We've got a couple of days planned in Orvieto but most of the popular suggestions on this board, such as La Badia, are already booked for the summer. Has anyone stayed recently at Hotel Maitani, Hotel Hotel Virgilio or Palazzo Piccolomini? I've tried to do all of my research but very little has turned up on these. Any experiences to share? <BR> <BR>I appreciate all of your suggestions. I'll post when I return and, hopefully, be of some help to others! <BR> <BR>Thanks. <BR>

Old Jun 7th, 2001, 07:15 PM
Sally

We stayed at Virgilio once and thought the rooms were small, and the walls were thin- a little too noisy, but a good location across from the cathedral. We prefer Hotel Duomo, a 2* very Italian hotel half a block away. It was listed in Rick Steves. The rooms are large and comfortable. You don't have to have breakfast there.It is not especially fancy, but we liked it.

Old Jun 7th, 2001, 07:27 PM
Betsy

Stayed at the Virgilio two years ago--not much ambience, but ask for a room at the front so you can hang out your window and overlook the piazza. Take along earplugs because the piazza is noisy until the wee hours. We're staying there again in October just for the location. We skipped their breakfast.

Old Jun 8th, 2001, 04:21 AM
Elsa

I've read that Plz.Pic. is really nice. Someone e-mailed me that she and her husband stayed there and they loved it - so I made resv. to stay there the end of Sept. If you will be there after that I will e-mail you my opinion when we get home.

Old Jun 8th, 2001, 04:29 AM
Patti

HI--Stayed at the Maitani in March. It was surprisingly quiet for a hotel so close to the duomo. Room was small but comfortable, nothing special. <BR>Patti <BR> <BR>

Old Jun 8th, 2001, 06:19 AM
marj

we stayed at piccolomini for 1 night in march. It was very nice and comfortable. It also has a very nice breakfast and the staff is helpful. Orvieto is small so nothing is too far from anything if you're staying within the town (Badia is outside of town). The underground cave tour is interesting.

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 10:58 AM
Graziella

I would stay eyes closed at the <BR>Palazzo Piccolomini, or at <BR> AquilaBianca both 4 stars hotels. <BR>Good luck. <BR>Aquila Bianca phone is <BR>0763 341246 <BR>Piccolominini, 0763 341743 <BR>if you go in Summer and rather stay out of town there are very good agriturismo around Orvieto. I for one prefer staying in town, but in Summer I guess it is nice to be able to dip in a pool under the olive trees....bon voyage.

Old Jun 13th, 2001, 03:07 PM
Dayle

My friends & I stayed at the Palazzo Piccolomini 3 nights May 2000. We thought it was wonderful. Great location. They will pick you up at the parking garage, or if you're traveling light, you can take the multiple escalators up to the town from the parking garage. The Piccolomini is just a very short block from the "Acenciori". Fantastic city and a great base for a 1/2 day trip to Civita di Bagnoreggio - NOT to be missed!

Old Jun 14th, 2001, 05:12 AM
Henry

Dayle:I will be staying at P.Piccolomini in Sept.We will be arriving in Orvieto by train.Your post mentioned elevators to get to the hotel.Do you know how far the hotel is from the train station?Can we take a cab from the train station to the hotel?Thanks

Old Nov 5th, 2001, 07:15 AM
Topping

Topping for more input on hotels in the historic center of Orvieto.

Old Nov 5th, 2001, 11:36 AM
Barb

I recently stayed in Orvieto (10/7)and we stayed at the Hotel Posta. We arrived in town late and did not have reservations. The travel info lady found us a room there. The owner was wonderful, even tho she did not speak any English. The hotel at one time was very elegant. It is not so elegant anymore, but the rooms are very charming and old and clean. The owner said the building was 500 yrs. At least I think that's what she said. The bathroom was a good size with a tub and a handheld shower and a bright light. There was a small lift, only one of 2 on our whole trip! For just a short stay it's perfect. Our main reason for staying in Orvieto was to see Civita di Bagnoreggio, which was wonderful, but loved Orvieto too. We met a couple who were staying at a agritourisma (sp) close to Orvieto. Can't remember the name, but it's in Rick Steves book. They raved about it. Hope this helps.

Old Nov 5th, 2001, 05:42 PM
Elsa

We just got back about 1 month ago from Italy and our stay at Plz. Piccolomini in Orvieto. We really enjoyed Orvieto, but we were disappointed in the hotel. The bedroom was VERY small, as was the bathroom. Also, the people on the desk (with the exception of 1 young man) were the least friendly of all the hotel staff we met on our trip. Can't quite figure out why it is a 4*.