Orphanages in Russia

Search

Orphanages in Russia

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26th, 2004, 06:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Orphanages in Russia

My husband and I are planning to visit St. Petersburg this summer, as part of a missionary group working with the orphanages. Does anyone have any experiences in the orphanages? I'd like an idea of what to really expect. Are conditions as bad as you read? Is it advisable to purchase things for them once there? thanks.
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 07:01 AM

I'd imagine that "international" items in Russia are far more expensive than they are over in the US. I'd advise buying everything beforehand, especially as these items may not be available once you are over there.

Old Mar 26th, 2004, 07:07 AM

Buckner Baptist Benevolences out of Dallas supports several orphanages in that area. I bet if you contact them they can tell you all you need to know.
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 07:09 AM

I've been to two orphanages in the Moscow and St. Petersburg region, it is not all that bad, at least for younger children.

Basic clothing and other items are not that much different in price at a market (as opposed to a department store) in Russia than in the US or Western Europe. You can bring over items (especially clothes) that are donated, but be careful about weight limitations (as the excess baggage charges can be far higher than the value of these items).

I usually recommend that, if interested in assisting, people make cash donations, as then the director can decide where best the resources can be used.
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 07:09 AM

Please, trust me on this one.
If you bought something - make sure you give it to kids. If it ends up in hands of those who works there - they will take it home to their kids.
You know that International help from US and other countries about 10 y ago were simply sold through privately held stores and made a lot of people rich instead of helping those who were poor.

Just tell that you want to give to children by yourself. Don't be intimidated. Good Luck and Good Trip
Old Mar 27th, 2004, 06:03 AM
P_M

First of all, I think this is a beautiful gesture and I applaud you for it. I must agree with Ziana. I visited Russia a few years ago and our Russian guide in St. Petersburg talked endlessly about all of the corruption in Russia. I do not mean to suggest that all Russians are bad, but if you want to make sure your donations reach the children, then do as Ziana suggested. Besides, what could be more rewarding than seeing the looks on the kid's faces when they receive your gift? Also for these same reasons, I personally would not make a cash donation. I hope it's a great trip.
Old Mar 27th, 2004, 09:46 AM

I'll risk flaming by repeating my suggestion regarding cash. I think that it at least could be perceived as condescending to assume that those who run an orphanage are less able to judge where resources should go than a foreign donor. Although there may be issues regarding the money "directly" reaching the children, I wouldn't make the decision to, say, give out crayons instead of paying for a nurse's uniform. No one in Russia (or America) works in an orphanage for the sole purpose of soliciting bribes--there are far more profitable venues for such activity.

Also, sometimes the best form of gratitude is not directly appreciated. Children need toys, warm clothing, medicine and schoolbooks-their level of thanks may not reflect their own best interest.