Search

Orkneys

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20th, 2011, 08:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Orkneys

Hoping to go to the Orkneys to get away from the Royal Wedding. We'll probably stay three nights. Can someone please recommend somewhere to stay?
Before I'm jumped on- I'm not including a price range because I can't see that there is a large number of B&Bs/ hotels to choose from.
We'll have a car.
Thank you.
Old Feb 20th, 2011, 11:26 PM
Original Poster

TTT
Old Feb 21st, 2011, 06:38 AM

It's Orkney or Orkney Islands. You don't mention a town or area where you would like to stay. So can I assume the location is less important than finding a place that meets your requirements or one that has been recommended? There really are a number of choices and they do vary in price. I imagine you can get a room in a B&B for less than 25 GBPs or a room in a hotel or very nice B&B for well over 100 GBPs. It's been over four years since I've been there, and I'm always reluctant to make suggestions after several years as places do change, but I would certainly be willing to give some guidance with more information.
Old Feb 22nd, 2011, 02:02 AM

I always find it a difficult place to recommend; nothing ever seems to live up to the location.

Other people here have suggested Mill of Eyreland, and it looks lovely on its web site.

I've stayed in the Ferry Inn in Stromness, which was OK but not wonderful. I think the Ayre Hotel in Kirkwall is good.
Old Feb 22nd, 2011, 02:20 AM

And it's not unusual for people to refer to "the Orkneys"
Old Feb 22nd, 2011, 08:01 AM

Shelia, you're certainly correct in saying that it's not uncommon for people to use the term " the Orkneys". I hope I wasn't sounding too pedantic in making the distinction but, on my first trip to Orkney, I was informed by locals that the word Orkney comes form the Old Norse and means "seal islands'. So when one says "the Orkneys" they are actually saying, 'seal islands islands'. It's probably a niggling point to most people, unless you're from Orkney.

If the OP is still around, I can say that the Mill of Eyreland might be a good choice.
Old Feb 23rd, 2011, 02:05 PM
Original Poster

Strangely enough the comment "nothing ever seems to live up to the location" is really helpful. I say strangely enough because you say it almost apologetically.
To know that the islands(note how I avoid "the Orkneys"-once bitten...) are not brimming with fantastic places is fine and we'll just take somewhere which suits the location where we want to stay.
Otherwise if we hit upon somewhere average we may be left wondering if there was somewhere better if we'd looked further.
Thanks
Old Feb 24th, 2011, 08:01 AM

Frances, in correcting the usage of Orkney/Orkneys, I had intended it to be a chance to inform and not a personal assault.

I am mentioning several possibilities for your stay on Orkney. These are not personal recommendations, but they are on my short list of places to stay for my next trip. I hope it helps.

near Evie...Woodwick House www.woodwickhouse.co.uk

Kirkwall... Ayre Hotel www.ayrehotel.co.uk and nearby The Foveran Hotel www.foveranhotel.co.uk

Margaret's Hope... The Creel This is an excellent restaurant and they also have a few nice rooms. www.thecreel.co.uk

Stenness... Mill of Eyreland www.orknet.co.uk/mill

Stromness...The Stromness Hotel www.stromnesshotel.com
Old Feb 24th, 2011, 08:12 AM

I just reread my post ( should have done so before submitting), and I still sound a bit pompous. I certainly don't mean to be. That's just not me. Was actually trying to be helpful.
Old Feb 25th, 2011, 02:57 AM

Old Feb 25th, 2011, 04:27 AM

Hi Frances. We stayed at the Ayre Hotel in Kirkwall last year for 6 nights, during the St Magnus Festival. I booked a room with a sea view on the top floor and it was very large and quite comfortable - very slightly tired decor-wise, but pleasant enough and the view was nice. There seems to be a more modern wing where it looked as though the rooms would probably be smaller but maybe more freshly decorated. Location is very good, minutes' walk from everywhere in Kirkwall that you are likely to go and on the sea front (although there is a road and a car park between the hotel & the water). It has a free car park which was useful. Breakfasts were reasonably good although the atmosphere at that time of year was a bit coach-party-ish. One selling point for us was it has a bar with real ale, which does bar meals, but the atmosphere wasn't great - but there are plenty of other pubs.

I think the Albert Hotel rooms might be funkier and the bar was better - might try that if we were ever going again (which I wouldn't but DH would).

We ate at the Creel one night, the meal was excellent and their rooms look lovely but it's quite off the beaten track in a very small village (2 streets). (We got the bus there & back so DH could drink.) It's partly just us, but I preferred being in the main town and able to walk to pubs, cafes, chip shops, shops etc, plus a number of the concerts etc.

As well as going to the concerts etc we drove around as far as we could via the Churchill Barriers, visited the half dozen or so main archaeological sites, the cathedral & palaces in Kirkwall plus of course the Italian chapel, which I found extremely moving. The Pier Arts Centre in Stromness is lovely as a building and has contemporary art exhibitions.

Hope this helps.
Old Feb 25th, 2011, 04:30 AM

P.S. Perhaps I should have said I know there's lots to enjoy on the other islands which you can't drive to, but I'm assuming that if we couldn't fit any into 6 days you won't fit any into 3 days !
Old Feb 25th, 2011, 04:47 AM

Would highly recommend to you Lav'rockha Guest House (http://www.lavrockha.co.uk/index.htm)where we stayed in Kirkwall. Wonderful comfortable accommodation, excellent food and they now apparently have added dinners as well. You would need a car as it is a little outside the town, but very close to this Highland Distillery. An excellent meal at Stables in the Albert Hotel and another at The Creel. Worth the drive!
Old Mar 1st, 2011, 12:16 PM
Original Poster

Well I went to Rome for the weekend and not only did we win the rugby but I come back to lots of interesting suggestions which are well worth investigating!
I know there are other islands but having wanted to venture further north than Skye for the four years my daughter was in uni in Edinburgh, I think I am doing well to manage three days in the Orkneys! My husband is convinced that it will be as cold and wet as at home- he's probably right!
Old Mar 2nd, 2011, 04:33 AM

WE
Old Mar 2nd, 2011, 04:39 AM

Not sure what I did there.

Sorry Frances, I meant there's plenty to see on the other *Orkney* islands - but in 6 days we only managed the ones you can drive to from the 'mainland' (i.e. the main island).

Re weather, we went at misdummer and I have to say it was appalling - the car thermometer said 10 degrees C but that didn't take into account the gale force north wind, and intermittent rain ! And we'd left Edinburgh in 23 degrees which it *never* is !! But I'm told it *can* be pleasant-ish, sometimes Take a coat, hat, gloves & wellies.
Old Mar 2nd, 2011, 07:23 AM

I've been there when it was sunny and almost warm, but was also at Skara Brae once when hit by pellets of ice coming off the sea. As caroline has said, just be prepared for any thing and if you can find a place with a warm welcoming fire and some Highland Park, you'll be fine.
Old Mar 20th, 2011, 07:42 AM

Another suggestion would be the Merkister Hotel - good reviews on T.A. Enjoyed lunch there in July on a HOT day.

We have stayed a few times at the Lynnfield Hotel and always enjoy it there. Evening meals are excellent.

I would take a hooded coat but not wellies.
Old Mar 21st, 2011, 04:33 AM

We went and looked at the Lynnfield Hotel's restaurant after being told it was one of the few places we could eat North Ronaldsay lamb (although in the event we didn't eat there, we brought NRL home instead). It looked very nice but would be too far out of town (uphill) for me - I would not be able to walk back there. The menu looked good but very expensive.

Why would you not take wellies, auldyins ? We were very glad of them in June when some of the neolithic sites and access tracks to them were very muddy.
Old Mar 27th, 2011, 05:21 AM

The Lynnfield Hotel usually has North Ronaldsay mutton on the menu and it costs about £17. It was always delicious. Once a month, on a Friday, they have a Lux night which is a bit more expensive but wine is included with every course.

I would think stout walking shoes would be all you would need.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -