Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Original fettuccine alfredo in Rome - do you know where?

Feb 25th, 2001, 05:25 PM
Marilou

My husband dearly loves fettuccine alfredo. I remember reading someplace about the 'original' restaurant in Rome that made it but now I can't find it - we are going to be in Rome this month and I'm trying to find it! Has anyone been there or know about it?

Feb 25th, 2001, 05:41 PM
Ed

There are at least two "Alfredo Originale", and I believe there's a third to which we've not been. I'm a bit confused on the history and hopefully others can clarify.

One is on via della Scrofa, roughly between the river and via del Corso I believe. We've not found that one very good. (And haven't been back since the headwaiter laid the "mano di morte" on Julie at the last visit.)

The other, just to the east of Augustus' Tomb in a Mussolini-style building, used to be pretty decent at least going back to the 60s, and surely long before our first visit at that time.

The last visit, five years ago, the service was slow, supercilious and forgetful. The food (prosciutto e melone, fettuccine al Alfredo, zucchini fritti) was as good as ever, but at those prices I don't need incompetent waiters who act like they're civil service bureaucrats.

Alas, some things don't get better with time.

Ed

Feb 25th, 2001, 05:42 PM
Rex

From www.buitoni.com/justask.asp

"Alfredo sauce is commonly paired with Fettuccine and was created during the 1920's by Roman restaurateur, Alfredo di Lello. (Movie stars Mary Pickford and Douglas Fairbanks brought Fettuccini Alfredo to the United States.) Butter, grated Parmesan cheese, cream and black pepper make this sauce extra special."

=====================

My own two cents worth: if they brought it to the US in the 20's, it must have lost it's way back home. I have never seen this dish in Italy.

There IS this restaurant in rio de Janeiro which claims the following

"Open exclusively for dinner, the Alfredo di Roma restaurant attracts local food lovers to the Hotel
Inter-Continental Rio. Guests will quickly discover why. The restaurant is a franchise of the legendary Alfredo di Lello, who created the internationally famous Fettucine all' Alfredo."

...and it has a little logo that suggests some historic connection. But I don't know if any such legacy restaurant lives on in Rome or not.

Feb 25th, 2001, 05:58 PM
Rex

This is a hoot! I am ROFLMAO!

Using the lead "Alfredo Originale", I did a search on Yahoo - - and I got EIGHTY hits - - and every single one of them refers to:

"L'Originale Alfredo di Roma Restaurant, one of the busiest restaurants in Epcot Center" at Walt Disney World in Orlando, Florida.

Maybe business wasn't so good with those surly waiters Ed and Julie once encountered, and the heirs of Alfredo got a better deal selling the rights to the mouse and company!

Feb 25th, 2001, 06:33 PM
Ed

Don't know where you've been when the menus were passed out, Rex.

Actually, under that name it's not a particularly common dish. It's, indeed, the creation of a single restauranteur, one with a strong promoter's skill. The dish made famous by his presentation of the dish to Mary Pickford and Doug Fairbanks. Legend has it they gave Alfredo a set of golden spoon/fork with which to mix the dish. This same set (?) is used with (some) guests in the restaurant near the Augusteo.

While "Alfredo sauce" may be rarely found, salsa suprema is a not uncommon pasta dressing and, other than the addition of an egg yolk, is identical to Alfredo's recipe.

Ed

Feb 25th, 2001, 07:42 PM
xxx

Heart attack on a plate, by any name!

Buon appetito

Feb 25th, 2001, 08:01 PM
david

I think the 1st poster got it right. The "other" alfredos is is on via della Scorfa just below Clementino. The one which I assume is the "origianl" is in the neo-mussolini looking building near Augustus' tomb. We went there several years ago strictly for the alfredo (no kidding). in '99 the alfredo was 23,000 lira and was very good. It struck me as very touristy with all the photos of celebrities etc around. The clentele all seemed to be well heeled tourists too. What amazed me was the amount of food people were eating. I realize pasta is only the primo piatti(SP) but people were realing stuffing it down. Alfredo and a glass of wine was plenty for us. Again, we thought it was VERY GOOD; made table side, piping hot etc.
As far as heart attack on a plate...Being in rome is not the time to be concerned with your health habits. If you cant figure out how to eat the other 51 weeks of the year, some indulgence in Rome wont change matters.

Feb 25th, 2001, 10:17 PM
Bob

The original is at "Piazza Augusto Imperatore 30". I haven't eaten there for about 25 years but I assume that it's still there. I remember that the fettuccine was excellent and they made it right in front of me. I've been to Rome numerous times since but I always like to try new restaurants and haven't gone back. I leave for Rome in about 12 hours so maybe I'll try it again now that this message board has reminded me of it.

Feb 25th, 2001, 11:05 PM
kam

As I understand it from Italian relatives, there is no "Alfredo sauce." One drains the egg pasta (fettucine is one of them), swirls it with butter, adds an amazingly generous handful of Parmesan, salt and pepper, and then starts to dilute the whole thing with whipping cream to as you like it! Don't think fat grams, think bliss. But, it's really not a sauce. Think the Alfredo name was a promo from a Rome restaurant.

Feb 26th, 2001, 03:56 AM
Rex

To anyone that says that I am a little too obsessed with this thread, I plead guilty. I am just a so-so fan of Fettucine Alfredo. It cracks me up that Disney's "signature" Italian restaurant is an homage to this dish that I have never seen in Italy.

I am not trying to get the last word on this subject. In fact, I freely admit that I was wrong about this restaurant (about which we still have no recent reports - - though 1999 comes close).

In any event, I went looking through online menus of restaurants in Rome (using www.yahoo.it) late last night - - and I found ONE that featured Fettucine Alfredo (a restaurant in Rome that appears only on the American www.yahoo.com) and NONE with any kind of pasta with salsa suprema.

But my biggest find may be of substantial interest to lots of Fodorites:

www.acena.it/dizionario.html provides five-language translation for literally hundreds of restaurant and kitchen terms, including simple descriptions for what is in many kinds of sauces and common Italian dishes. It's organized by food types, and then alphabetically.

It contains NO entry for fettucine, NO entry for Alfredo, and its description of salsa suprema is "a chicken broth sauce with cream and egg yolk". No parmesan, and no black pepper - - I don't see how this really ressembles "Alfredo" except that they are both creamy.

Fettucine IS indeed found among "pasticcherie", although tagliatelle is the much more common term for a flat noodle of 1 to 2 cm in width.

Marilou - - there's one consoling element with respect to your husband's love of Fettucine Alfredo. If you live in the USA, you are already in the home of this popular Italian-inspired dish.

Best wishes,

Rex

Feb 26th, 2001, 06:12 PM
topper

topping...

Feb 26th, 2001, 06:43 PM
Ed

Rex, rationalize all you may like, but you can not wish away very substantial restaurants in Rome.

I am reminded of the old philosophical conundrum: if a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear it, is there a noise?

Suggest you make a trip to Piazza Augusto Imperatore 30 and check out the menu and the trees.

Ed

Feb 26th, 2001, 06:48 PM
Rex

Thank you, Ed.

Mar 2nd, 2001, 02:35 PM
Mary

In Rome for the Ireland/Italy rugby match last month we ate in Alfreddos... it was on Via de la Scroffa and the food was magnificent. We had fettucine as a second course and I have NEVER tasted anything like it in my life. That restaurant is open since 1929. Incredible.

Mar 27th, 2001, 09:03 PM
Alfredo

AH Mary...you went to the OTHER Alfredos!!!! Thanks for keeping the debate going. I think, in conclusion, it can be said that "Alfredos" serves the best imitation italian food around...whether at the "original or at the "other" restarurant.
Buon Appetit (maybe it's a french dish after all)

Mar 28th, 2001, 12:17 AM
Annie

Geesh guys....while on this subject, i'll be grateful for anybody who can tell me where to eat to-die-for marinara pasta in rome?

Mar 28th, 2001, 08:24 AM
Eduardo

As far as I know, Alfredo sauce as it is known in the US, does not exist in Italy. You can find variations which will be wonderful, to be sure. Careful to find the US alfredo sauce, becuase it will surely be a tratoria which caters to tourists (= $$$ and bad food). You will find some approximates, but authentic Italian cooking wouldn't use the cream for instance in a dish like this.

Enjoy you time

Mar 28th, 2001, 09:50 AM
Andrea

I have to agree with what Rex has been saying. My boyfriend lived in Italy for 20 years. We will be travelling to Italy this summer and since I am such a lover of fettucine alfredo, he had to break the news to me that it is not a 'traditional' Italian dish. He says that there are some similar sauces, but nothing truly 'alfredo'. The only reason that fettucine alfredo might be found in a restaurant in Italy is to cater to North American tourists, but it would be a very rare find.

Apr 2nd, 2001, 07:35 AM
dan

Who cares how "authentic" it is! We ate at Alfredo alla Scrofa last July and the Fettucine Alfredo was awesome, prepared right at the table. The place was touristy and a bit corny and of course they claim that THEY are the inventors of the dish.
But at any rate we had a great experience there.

Dan

Apr 5th, 2002, 03:22 PM
topping

topping for "going to rome"

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO