Orange Prepaid SIM Card Question

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2022, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We just got an Orange prepaid SIM card to use when we land in Madrid. On the page that the SIM card is attached to it says:

Votre numero Orange 07 xx xx xx xx

Since Orange is located in France, would our number, including France's 33 country code, be:

3307 xx xx xx xx

As you can see, the resulting number would be a total of 12 digits and I thought the maximum for Europe, including the coutnry code is 11 digits.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jul 10th, 2022, 09:41 AM

My mistake, post removed
Old Jul 10th, 2022, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by mishe52
We just got an Orange prepaid SIM card to use when we land in Madrid. On the page that the SIM card is attached to it says:

Since Orange is located in France, would our number, including France's 33 country code, be:

3307 xx xx xx xx

As you can see, the resulting number would be a total of 12 digits and I thought the maximum for Europe, including the coutnry code is 11 digits.

Drop the zero when using the country code.
Old Jul 10th, 2022, 02:54 PM

Tell people when dialling from abroad to use the code for overseas phone calls before the 33. On mobile phones the default is the plus sign (it dials the access code automatically), but in Australia for instance you have to ring 0011 before the number if you are using a landline. Is it zero for the US?

Lavandula

Old Jul 11th, 2022, 05:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your responses. Lavandula, the exit code for the US is 011.
Old Jul 11th, 2022, 06:37 AM

3307 xx xx xx xx

If you purchase a SIM in Spain you will have a Spanish number. As per this example https://www.simcardaeropuertomadrid.com/en/home
Where the comapny has it's base is irrelevant. Another example is the Spanish service Vodaphone. They are UK based. That does not alter the SIM card phone number. It will be Spanish too, if you have purchased in in Spain.
However, if you purchase the travel SIM that is part of this offer then you will get a French number. https://travel.orange.com/en/all-inc.../orhldeur20gb/ Have you done that?

International codes for those calling you is 0034******
If you are phoning France then you have to add 0033 to any number.

Old Jul 11th, 2022, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by VANAARLE
International codes for those calling you is 0034******
If you are phoning France then you have to add 0033 to any number.
What you add for international dialing is a function of from where you are dialing.

For mobile phones, dialing +33 or +34 or +1, plus the local number (omitting leading zeros) is all you need to dial France, Spain, North American respectively, no matter from where you dial, even from within France, Spain, or North America.

Without the + sign, international calls from France/Spain start with 00, country code, local number. International calls from North America start with 01, country code, local number.
Old Jul 11th, 2022, 08:38 AM

I'll complicate the issue:

I use a cell phone only as an emergency device and to call home once I arrived safely at another destination. In that regard I am completely innocent of any sophisticated usage of my flip phone which is 4G compatible. I was hoping to be able to use it Europe while traveling there, as both the software provider (KaiOS) and the local provider (Tello using T-Mobile) claimed that I could use WiFi to make phone calls from Europe. Accordingly I entered all my European contacts' number on the phone. In Europe I discovered that I could call if I was in a friend's house using their passworded WiFi connection. But when I was on the train which had free WiFi (no password required) or in a hotel where a password was required and duly entered, I could not connect, getting the message that the account was not found or was invalid; I don't quite remember the exact wording.

Back in the U.S. I called the KaiOS support line, and they told me that the problem was fixed (so there was a problem). I can't test it in the U.S. because when I call using WiFi (T-Mobile is weak on my street) the system obviously recognizes my local account with Tello as valid. But what I can now do is call Europe without entering 011, and the connection is faster than when I enter 011 on my landline.

I am now waiting to give my phone to a local friend who would happen to take a short trip abroad to test my phone.
Old Jul 12th, 2022, 05:32 AM
Original Poster

I bought the Orange prepaid SIM form Amazon and received them the other day. So it sounds like I should just drop the zero, resulting in our number being 337 xx xx xx xx when we land Europe and put the SIMs in our cellphones. We'll use the + prefix to avoid having to use exit codes.

Thanks for all of the helpful info
Old Jul 12th, 2022, 10:19 AM

I bought the Orange prepaid SIM form Amazon and received them the other day. So it sounds like I should just drop the zero, resulting in our number being 337 xx xx xx xx when we land Europe and put the SIMs in our cellphones. We'll use the + prefix to avoid having to use exit codes.

Thank you for clearing up of the question about where you purchased the Sim.
Enjoy your vacations
Old Jul 12th, 2022, 11:14 AM

This isn’t an e-sim, isn’t it? We’ll be in Paris in 3 weeks time and will need a local sim. Am wondering whether to get an e-sim or just pick one up at CDG. Pre-Covid I would get it at the Relay store in the arrivals area.
Old Jul 12th, 2022, 12:59 PM
twk

Originally Posted by geetika
This isn’t an e-sim, isn’t it? We’ll be in Paris in 3 weeks time and will need a local sim. Am wondering whether to get an e-sim or just pick one up at CDG. Pre-Covid I would get it at the Relay store in the arrivals area.
I used an e-SIM from Orange for my trip to France last May and enjoyed the convenience. If your phone can do e-SIMs, I think that's the way to go (I have an iPhone 12 Pro).
Old Jul 12th, 2022, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by twk
I used an e-SIM from Orange for my trip to France last May and enjoyed the convenience. If your phone can do e-SIMs, I think that's the way to go (I have an iPhone 12 Pro).
twk, I believe you gave me the link for the Orange e-sim in your post, I will probably go with it as I also have the same phone as you. Saves me having to carry two phones.

Haven’t used an e-sim previously, does it let you use the original number too, as do dual sim Androids? Thanks again for coming to my rescue!
Old Jul 12th, 2022, 06:20 PM
twk

Originally Posted by geetika
twk, I believe you gave me the link for the Orange e-sim in your post, I will probably go with it as I also have the same phone as you. Saves me having to carry two phones.

Haven’t used an e-sim previously, does it let you use the original number too, as do dual sim Androids? Thanks again for coming to my rescue!
Yes, you can use the original number and have dual SIMs running at the same time. No technical problem there. However, beware the international roaming charges you will incur if you have your domestic SIM active while abroad. Dual SIMs worked for me financially because T-Mobile does not charge for international roaming in Europe, only for calls and texts (and those charges are reasonable). Some plans will charge you $10 a day once they detect their SIM is roaming on an international network. So, while duals SIMs are technically feasible, don't forget about the cost. Check out what your plan will charge you when in Europe before going the dual SIM route.
Old Jul 13th, 2022, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by twk
Yes, you can use the original number and have dual SIMs running at the same time. No technical problem there. However, beware the international roaming charges you will incur if you have your domestic SIM active while abroad. Dual SIMs worked for me financially because T-Mobile does not charge for international roaming in Europe, only for calls and texts (and those charges are reasonable). Some plans will charge you $10 a day once they detect their SIM is roaming on an international network. So, while duals SIMs are technically feasible, don't forget about the cost. Check out what your plan will charge you when in Europe before going the dual SIM route.
Thanks again twk, my plan charges $10 per day, so I always keep it off when I travel internationally. My question was more theoretical as I have no experience of using an e-sim.