Notices

Opinions On These Rome Hotels

Old Aug 14th, 2001, 12:20 PM
Kate

Opinions On These Rome Hotels

My Husband & I are going to travel to Rome in mid November & are looking for charming, well-located, 3-star hotels. I have narrowed down my search to these 6 (not too narrow!)hotels. Any opinions / experiences would be much appreciated.

Hotel Due Torri
Hotel Santa Chiara
Hotel Venezia
Hotel S. Anselmo
Hotel Adriano
Hotel Navona

Also...I have some unused hotel points (from another life...) and was able to get two nights at the Westin Excelsior, Rome. The only problem is that we arrive on the 7th of November & the Westin only has availability for the 8th & the 9th (for the "free rooms".) That means checking into a hotel for a night...checking out & into the Westin for 2 nights, & then a third hotel for the remaining nights. Seems like a major hassle but if the Westin is amazing...it might we worth the trouble. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for any postings.

Old Aug 14th, 2001, 01:28 PM
elaine

Hi
the Due Torri, S. Chiara and I think the Navona have been discussed often here--try using the search function at the top of your screen to search for each and you will find comments on them, perhaps on the other hotels as well.
The DT and the SC have been much-praised for sure.

Old Aug 14th, 2001, 01:45 PM
Ed

My choice would be the Santa Chiara.

The Excelsior is not amazing. On the other hand two nights there for free is a savings of over $300, perhaps closer to 400. That's not amazing either, but much as I dislike packing/unpacking and checking in/out, I can be had for a price ... in this case around $300!

The Excelsior is a nice property, we've always enjoyed the via Veneto location greatly, and there are a couple or three quite good restaurants up there, among them Girarrosta Toscana, Picolo Mondo and Giovanni. Addresses and brief description at
www.twenj.com/romerests.htm

Old Aug 14th, 2001, 08:49 PM
Holly

Hello Kate - I stayed at the Adriano this past April, and it was fine. Location is perfect for accessibility to everything. It's right around the corner from the Due Torre, but probably about 25% less in price. I would definitely stay there on my next visit to Rome. You will probably find far fewer American guests in this hotel than in the others on your list, if you're looking for that sort of thing.

Old Aug 14th, 2001, 09:15 PM
john

My wife and I just returned from Rome and other sites in Italy.

We stayed at the Santa Chiara and liked it a lot. Great location, one block from the Pantheon in old Rome, walking distance to almost anywhere. On a not too busy street, so the hotel itself is protected from the hussle and bustle of Rome, thus quiet. Nice lobby and interior, though the rooms lack for drawers ( closed, one shelf area; found ourselves living out of suitcases, but that seemed to be true in every room. Staff was not particularly friendly, more reserved than in some other hotels we'd been in--but fine and helpful with the usual ( restaurant reservations, simple directions)

We would definitely stay there again, given value, location, quiet and nice room.

Old Aug 15th, 2001, 07:41 AM
Lee

The Hotel Rex on Via Torino 149 same street as the Rome Opera House is wonderful. Fabulous rooms and outstanding breakfast. Highly recommend it. Well located to all sights, and within easy reach of main train station but far enough away to avoid the riff raff around station. Check it out.