Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

opera, symphony, and ballet in Budapest and Prague

Dec 23rd, 2000, 06:47 AM
leslie

What is the acceptable dress code for attending these functions? Is a sportcoat required? May women wear slacks? Are blue jeans frowned upon?

How difficult is it to get tickets in early May? Should we buy them in advance while still in the states? Are there discount opportunities comparable to Times Square in New York or Leicester in London?

Dec 23rd, 2000, 07:45 AM
Linda

We went in November to symphony performances in both Budapest and Prague. We did wear nice slacks outfits and did not feel out of place. However, in Budapest, we sat up in the upper balcony because we did not feel dressed enough. The combination symphony/opera/ballet performance in Prague is a touristy thing so they were less concerned. If I went to a normal performance, I would dress nicer or sit higher up. In Budapest, the tickets were between $1.50-$13. In Prague, we paid $16 for balcony box. You can buy the tickets at the performance hall the day of the event or, in Prague, from costumed players in the main squares. In May, I don't know.

Dec 23rd, 2000, 07:47 AM
Dave

We went to the opera and symphony in Budapest in October. We got good seats 2 days in advance from our hotel concierge (Intercontinental). There was a small surcharge. You will be surprised as to how cheap they are - I think one was $6, the other $20, which is a lot for the people there.

The dress code was nice- jackets for men, slacks just OK for women. The people there dress nicely, and you will feel better doing the same, as the halls were beautiful, especially the opera.

The symphony was as good as any in US. The violinist got vigorous applause, and did an encore. The symphony got more vigorous applause, and did 2 encores. The applause and encores were themselves memorable. Also remarkable was the number of young people in the orchestra.

In Prague, we went to the Magic Lantern, which we did not like.

You can look for my trip reports for each city. If you go to these activities, I am sure that your evaluation would be interesting.

Dec 23rd, 2000, 01:27 PM
Gordon R

A visit to the Opera in Prague (Narodni Divadlo) is an experience not to be missed. Buy your tickets from the box office, or any tourist information office in town. We had seats in the front row of the stalls for USD15 each a couple of years back. Compared with London prices, it's a terrific bargain. I would certainly recommend dressing up a bit. We weren't sure, and although I wore a tie, I'd have felt more comfortable in a lounge suit. Most of the clientele are very smartly dresed indeed.

Dec 23rd, 2000, 04:44 PM
becky

We went to Prague and Budapest last November. We attended the Symphony in Budapest and we were surprised that the ticket cost only five dollars for seates on the fourth row. People dressed nicely, therefore I recomend for the gentlemen a tie and suit.
In Prague we attended to the Opera, "La Traviata" and people were also nicely dressed. You will love both cities. We did.

Feb 3rd, 2001, 05:32 PM
Marc David Miller

I just came back from three weeks in Mitteleuropa, and was surprised at the formality of dress at the opera in Budapest--a percentage of the men wore dinner jackets, and all but maybe three men wore at least a tie and jacket. Most all women wore at least dresses, and I don't think I saw one in jeans.

I saw three wonderful parts of Wagner's Ring Cycle. Tickets are available in advance through Interticket by phone(+36-1) 266 00 00 Open 09:00 - 20:00. Closed Sun.
Accepts ticket orders by telephone only

I have not been able to locate the web site for the opera house, but you can see the schedule at

http://www.operabase.com/mkhouse.cgi...en&house=ehbus.

You should be able to purchase the tickes for May after April 1. Better known performances do sell out quickly, so I strongly recommend you buy them in advance for good seats.