Opera Bastille in Paris

Old Aug 23rd, 2000, 07:37 AM
Clea

Opera Bastille in Paris

Has anyone attended an opera at the Opera Bastille in Paris? I just bought tickets to see a production of Don Quixote there, and I would greatly appreciate any information regarding the opera house or company. <BR> <BR>Thanks!

Old Aug 23rd, 2000, 11:03 AM
Bob Brown

I attended a preformance of Turandot last September at the Opera Bastille. <BR>The production was well sung, and the orchestra played very well under the direction of James Conlon. But, the stage management was bizarre. The production manager obviously loved metal ladders and cat walks. The 3 characters Ping, Pang, and Pong were clambering around on ladders that rolled on wheels. At the opening, the mandarin reading the imperial decree was standing at the end of a long suspended cat walk that jounced up and down. I think I would have refused to get out there on that precarious perch. I thought it silly. <BR>The house is scrumptious and must hold upwards of 2,500 people. I suggest you get there a little early so you can look around. We had seats "on the floor" close to the orchestra pit, so I could look up at all the various tiers of seats. I saw a few people in formal dress, but the guy sitting next to my wife was clad in a very formal T-shirt -- solid black. <BR>I am not familiar with the opera you will be seeing.

Old Aug 23rd, 2000, 12:44 PM
clea

Thank you Bob, that is exactly the kind of information I was looking for. I had read somewhere that productions in the Opera Bastille, while based on traditional operas, used "unconventional interpretations", so I wasn't sure what to expect. From your response, it sounds like it will be an interesting experience! <BR> <BR>Regarding your comment about the guy in the t-shirt - at the risk of sounding like my mother (I'm only 27!) I used to live in New York City and it never ceased to amaze me what some people wore for a night out to the theater or the opera or the symphony, or any other kind of performance. Personally, I think dressing up is half the fun of an evening in attending a cultural event. I hated seeing people in jeans even at B'way shows, almost as much as I hated listening to them yelling "Whoo hoo!" after every song. But that is another topic altogether. <BR> <BR>Thanks again for the information. I'll be sure to let you know after my trip if they have any of those precarious catwalks!

Old Aug 23rd, 2000, 03:15 PM
Bob Brown

I hope you enjoy the performance. <BR>My guess is that it will be well sung. <BR>In Turandot, we heard Jane Eaglen, Franco Farina, Patricia Racette, and Dimitri Kavrakos in the leaing roles. Jane Eaglen was Turandot; Farina was Calaf. <BR>Lordy they could all sing. Eaglen is not an actress, but she is a glorious singer. And Farina is a fine dramatic tenor. His Nussun Dorma was wonderfully presented, and Pat Racette was a meltingly lovely Liu, whose physical beauty made you wonder why the heck Calaf had such bad judgement! The chorus was absolutely fabulous as was the dancing. <BR>The only quirky aspect was all those darn ladders! I will say one thing, Ping, Pang, and Pong were not only good singers, but they were also fine athletes to have the staminas needed to sing while running up and down those contraptions. (I am glad one of them did not roll into the orchestra pit!!) Maybe P, P and P developed breath control by playing the French horn in a marching band!! Lets hope not!! That is one instrument that belongs in the sit down section~! Trying to march with one can chip your front teeth.) <BR>Let me suggest that you not focus too much on the quirky stuff because it might well detract from the other aspects of the performance. <BR>I haven't checked the schedule, but I hope Conlon is conducting. He is good. <BR>

Old Aug 23rd, 2000, 06:38 PM
Paul

We have attended two performances at the Opera Bastille; Merry Widow (1998) and Figaro (1999). The house was great and you should get there a bit early and look around. There are good sight lines and we thought the acoustics were fine. Both performances were excellent and non-traditional but not too far out. The dress of the audience was ran the gamut with everything from formal wear to jeans but it general it was conservative attire but I would not be surprised at anything people might turn up in. I assume you are familiar with Don Quixote (Massenet) which I like very much. I suspect Bastille will give it a nice production. If I am not mistaken it was in the 1999 reportory also. Enjoy.

Old Aug 23rd, 2000, 07:01 PM
elvira

I'm planning to see an opera at the Bastille while I'm in Paris; thanks to all for answering Clea. Now I'm *really* excited about seeing it!

Old Aug 28th, 2000, 06:26 PM
Sheryl

My husband and I are going to be in Paris in September and I could not find a website to order tickets to the opera. How did you order the tickets? Through a travel agent or on line and what is the price for the tickets. I live in NYC and have never been to opera here but want to see it in Paris. <BR>Thanks in advance for the reply

Old Aug 28th, 2000, 07:29 PM
Bob Brown

I got a friend of mine who speaks decent French to call and reserve the tickets on my credit card. He said I could have it done in English. The top level seats run about $90 - $100 a seat, depending on the rate of exchange. <BR>We had seats a little less expensive. <BR>About $80 as I recall without digging out my charge account statement. <BR>There is a web site that you can consult. I don't know if the procedure has changed since last year or not.

Old Aug 28th, 2000, 07:46 PM
Bobbi

I just ordered tickets from this website a couple days ago. We're going to see "Tosca" in October. Can't wait! <BR>www.opera-de-paris.fr

Old Aug 29th, 2000, 01:31 AM
francesca

The web site is not 100% reliable in that it oftens says dates or ticket categories are sold out when they aren't. If you can't find what you want on the web site, try calling (what I always do) or the FNAC site (large store with ticket agency) at fnac.com (in French).

Old Aug 29th, 2000, 07:10 AM
Bob Brown

Hi Bobbi I am not familiar with the other singers in Tosca, but Franco Farina will be singing the role of Mario Cavaradossi. I think he has the vocal skills to handle it. He is a dramatic tenor more than a lyric spinto type, so his interpretation of the role should be quite vigorous. When we heard him in Turnadot, he was a strong Calaf, very dramatic and full voiced. <BR>I think a big voice is needed for Cavaradossi in that house because it is quite large actually. Farina is actually from Connecticut! But he has sung major tenor roles all over, including Rodolfo, Alfredo, and Don Jose in addition to Calaf and Mario Cavaradossi. Good to know that an American can sing with the best of them. <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Aug 29th, 2000, 02:48 PM
Christina

there are several other web sites that sell Paris opera tickets (they claim, I haven't used them as I buy on-site): www.ticketavenue.com and www.globaltickets.com. <BR>I have also had experience that the Paris Opera web site can be erratic in what it shows available or lets you buy. I saw a ballet at the Bastille last year and even though I had only seen ballet at the Garnier (which is, of course, more beautiful architecurally) and I was skeptical, I will admit that the Bastille is a very nice venue for performances (visually and aurally) and I liked it very much.

Old Aug 30th, 2000, 04:38 AM
Sheryl

Dear Christina & Bob, thank you for you information on obtaining opera tickets. I went to a few web sites and found exactly what I wanted on Paris ticketavenue.com. We are seeing Verdi's Nabucco and I am quite excited about my trip and the opera. This web site is wonderful I have been on the internet for days trying to find this information and after a few minutes reading this site and I received so much valueable information.

Old Aug 30th, 2000, 05:53 AM
Clea

I used www.ticketavenue.com. They purchase blocks of tickets in advance of the shows and then sell those to the public. However, they do not purchase tickets for every performance of each show. For example, when I initially ordered the tickets, I received an email saying that they did not have any tickets for the night I wanted to attend. However, they purchased tickets for me directly from the Opera Bastille at no extra charge. I paid around $90USD for each ticket. I was very happy with the service. <BR> <BR>

Old Dec 10th, 2001, 11:57 AM
Fred

Why do you ask? You already have tickets to go. What difference would it make if someone else liked it or not? Why go with preconceived ideas? I'm not a fan of opera - just curious why you would do that. P.S. - Hope you enjoy.