Open-Jaw flights

Search

Open-Jaw flights

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9th, 2005, 12:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Open-Jaw flights

We'll be flying from Atlanta, and could use advice on open-jaw flights to Italy. This could be a flight into Rome, then back to Atlanta out of Milan or Venice, for example. Thanks.
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 12:27 PM

What cities are you planning to visit in Italy? Just those three, or more? That info will help us give you better advice.
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 12:42 PM

glu54

To understand the process, go to a site such as(in fact go specifically) Expedia. Under other flight options, click; it will take you to a page where one of the choices is multiple destinations. Click in the circle. When the next page comes up:
You will be prompted to enter the cities you are going from and to. This is a method of planning open jaw.
For example, if you want to fly into Rome from NY, NY is your initial departure city, "leaving from," and Rome the destination, "going to."
If you then want, let's say, to take a train to Milan and fly out of there, your next departure city is Milan and destination would be NY. You can add more destinations in between if you want to fly to all of them. Try it. You'll get flight schedules and prices- and then you can try different cities to get examples of other costs and schedules. After one try, you'll have it down. It's not difficult at all.
The American Airlines site, for example, provides a similar possibility with just one airline- just click on "Multiple cities" from the reservations page to begin, and then enter the departure and destination city of each leg.
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 07:25 AM
pg

GLU54,
We flew into Milan and flew out of Rome on Delta. During our stay we used trains and car rental to hit many towns in Tuscany, Umbria and the Amalfi Coast.
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 07:59 AM

Do what zola recommends and then decide if the extra cost is worth the aggravation of returning to the starting point of your trip. If you go in and out of Rome you must arrange to get back to Rome after your trip to Venice, Milan, etc. Open Jaw seems to be a better way to go.
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 08:35 AM

2 years ago we flew PHL to Rome and out of Venice. We flew BA and there was no extra cost.
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 08:36 AM
ira

Hi GL,

Open jaw flights usually cost about the same as RT.

I use http://airtravelcenter.com/onetrav.htm

Click "multi city"

Old Mar 10th, 2005, 09:28 AM

Agree with Ira. We are flying into Milan and out of Rome in May. We paid $577 per ticket, which was about what the regular flight (non open-jaw) cost.
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 09:51 AM

On my vacations to Europe and even my last trip to Japan - I have ALWAYS done open-jaws. Try www.onetravel.com or any of the big three. You will see that the price is not usually not any more than the RT. The one diffence might be if you fly from a small airport.

IE. a RT from ORD - CDG(paris) might be 600 dollars but and open jaw from ORD-CDG then NICE to ORD (connecting in London) might be a little more - because the RT from ORD-nice would be more. If the RT from ORD-Nice is 800, you would probably pay around 700 for the open jaw. Airlines don't charge "Extra" for open jaws unless the distance between the open jaw cities is greater than the flying distance( even then some might not)
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 10:07 AM

Hello fellow atlantan! - I'm thinking you're looking at flying Delta - you can do open jaw on the Delta website - just go into travel/multicity options. I have done several trips from Atlanta - into Rome and out elsewhere. There are direct flights to Rome and Milan - for Venice you would have to change - Paris works good for a connection. The only problem is you have to play around on the website quite a bit to check on getting the cheapest price. I usually look on Orbitz then try to find the low cost flight option on the Delta website.