Reload this Page >

Open for Suggestions: Tuscany, Umbria

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 11:06 AM
Paul

My first time on this message board; lots of great stuff here, great people, so thought I'd try to get some suggestions. My wife and I are returning to Italy in November for a couple of weeks, spending the first four or five days in Rome. Then we plan to drive around Tuscany for the rest of the time, staying at perhaps two places (we haven't decided where) and making day drives from them. This is all basically a repeat of our honeymoon two years ago, which was spectacular, but we want to try some new towns. We've already seen: Siena, San Gimigniano, Volterra, Lucca, Pisa, Florence, most of which we loved. Looking now for suggestions on other great hill towns, great agriturismo places, and anything else worth doing in this amazing part of the world. Thanks in advance!

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 01:26 PM
Betsy

Hi Paul <BR> <BR>Welcome to the board; there's a wealth of travel info here. I suggest you use the search function to find information about Tuscany and Umbria. If you look at the top of the page you'll see a box entitled "Text Search." Type in Tuscany. Then go to the box to the right, scroll down, and highlight Italy. Press "Find" and wait (sometimes you wait for a long time) for all the previous posts on the subject to come up. Then type in Umbria and go through the same process again. <BR> <BR>Another helpful website is www.slowtrav.com <BR> <BR>Buon Viaggio

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 01:41 PM
Mary

I am an American art historian who has lived in Umbria( but who knows Tuscany very well) for 30 years. Tell me more about your interests and I'll try to help you.

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 02:15 PM
Paul

Thanks Betsy, Mary. Betsy I'll definitely try your suggestions. Mary: We like to drive, take in the view, eat well but not too expensively, drink wine, and look at art. Whenever I travel I like to try to focus on an artist. I was thinking of going to San Sepolcro to see Piero Della Francesca. I'm guessing you've been there. Do you know what the town is like? Would it be worth an overnight stay? Any other suggestions for Umbria? Thanks! Any help appreciated.

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 04:21 PM
Susan

If you like driving and Tuscany you might want to look at: <BR> <BR>www.zephyrus.it <BR> <BR>You can rent a classic Alfa Romeo convertible and they give you loads of info for touring. I haven't done this but I want to! <BR> <BR>And a hill town to add to your list would be Monteriggioni. And wine tasting thru Chianti, we really liked the town of Greve. <BR> <BR>There's loads more info here if you do some searches. Good luck!

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 05:19 PM
Henry

Try an agriturismo in southern Tuscany (e.g. La Crociona 3km south of Montalcino) and tour places like Pienza, Montepulciano, Monte Oliveto Maggiore, Sant’Antimo, Bagno Vignoni, San Quirico, Murlo, and Buonconvento all within a half-hour of Montalcino.

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 10:35 PM
Leslie

Recommend Assisi highly! You can focus on the frescoes of Giotto in the Bascilica di San Francesco. Also, loved Orvieto which is a nice first stop on your drive north from Rome. Other great Umbrian towns: Spoleto, Perugia, Todi, Gubbio, Arezzo.