Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Only two days before we leave for Scotland and France. Thank you all, Fodorites!

Only two days before we leave for Scotland and France. Thank you all, Fodorites!

Sep 6th, 2005, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

We leave on Thursday for three weeks in Europe. A week of sampling single malts in Scotland, followed by a week on canals and rivers in France, plus a few days in Paris.

I want to thank all of you Fodorites that helped in the planning of this trip. Your advice on cell phones, hotels, restaurants, packing, and general "how to do it" has been invaluable.

In prticular, I need to thank Cocofromdijon, a lovely French lady who lives in Dijon, and rents a vacation flat. Even though we were too many people to use her apartment, she was so much help in recommending hotels, restaurnats, patisseries, and finding bus schedules that she has made that part of our journey worry-free.

We are planning on meeting her in a bakery shop on our first morning in France. She has vounteered to give the four of us an education on the selection and consumption of FRENCH PASTERIES. What a sacrifice on her part, non?!

We may get no further into France than that-- just stay there sampling their flaky confections until time to get back on the plane.

Thank you all, again. I will do a trip report as soon as I can after we return and lose enough weight to reach the keyboard.

Dick
Sep 6th, 2005, 08:02 AM

><

and you've got the right phone number!
Sep 6th, 2005, 08:21 AM

Have a good trip. Enjoy what seems to be a well-planned vacation. I am looking forward to your trip report. I am especially looking forward to that French pastry education. Thatís something I have not found in any guidebook.
Sep 6th, 2005, 08:28 AM

Have a Laphroaig, or two, for me! Enjoy your trip and pastry meeting w/the lovely CoCo. Fortunately I will be in France next weekend and will be able to further my own research on lemon and chocolate tarts.
Sep 6th, 2005, 08:36 AM

mvor, next week end? you mean the 17th? if so come and join us, it will be THE day!
Sep 6th, 2005, 09:01 AM

Bonne Anniversaire! Yes, we'll be in Vence on the 17th enjoying Matisse, the market, the people, ah...I can't wait.

I will be sure to raise a glass of champagne to salute you on your special day. Enjoy!
Sep 6th, 2005, 09:05 AM

actually it is not a real birthday (though an important date..) but there is no proper cake without candles on the smiley list!
Sep 6th, 2005, 09:09 AM
tod

Bon Voyage to you all. It sounds like a marvellous trip and I look forward to hearing how it all went!
Sep 6th, 2005, 11:59 AM

Hello all,
I will be staying at the flat cocofromdijon rents out during this time period. Would you all mind if my husband Justin and I joined you for the French pastry lesson? Coco has been wonderfully helpful to us as well!!!

Rachael
Sep 6th, 2005, 12:10 PM

I've seen posts from Coco, but this is the first I've heard about her flat. Is it in Paris or Dijon? Coco, would you mind sending me more info about it? My email is my username @gmail.com. Thanks!
Sep 6th, 2005, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

rmremain,

I think that would be a lot of fun, having a group pastry gorge in the name of intercultural education. (Who do we think we are kidding?)

We will have to check with Corinne (Coco) of course. She said she could only come (riding her motorcycle) if it did not rain.

I will email you with more information, but briefly, we will only arrive in Dijon late in the evening of Friday the 16th. We had planned to meet Corinne the next morning at a bakery on Rue Darcy, I think it is, and then we have to catch a bus about noon.

Looking forward to it.

Sep 7th, 2005, 01:54 AM

Hi all!
I'm so glad we are going to meet altogether with Rachael and Justin!
I will come even if it rains (maybe not by bike though..)
The 17th will be the first day of the Days of Patrimony, it should be quite busy in town...Dick that's a pity really you can't go to Pontailler on the next day.

Hi g33kgr, my flat is in the historic part of Dijon, I'm sending you all the info about myhomeindinjon.

almost time for you to wake up! and lunchtime for me!
after the rain yesterday it is a bright sunny day!

Dick can I go to Scotland with you, PLEASE!!
Sep 7th, 2005, 02:31 AM

Happy times in France and yummy eating to all of you. And how wonderful you will meet Cocofromdijon, I can only imagine what a delight she is from her post here on Fodors. Salute!!
Sep 7th, 2005, 10:55 AM

oh la la! loveitaly you made me blush! quot;>
and you haven't seen me yet! ;-) >-)
Sep 7th, 2005, 02:53 PM
Original Poster

Loveitaly,

Cocofromdijon is, indeed, a lovely person. She finally sent me a picture so we can recognize her when we meet, and I can say that she is drop dead gorgeous! She is slim and trim, with short black hair, and appears a very poised and sophisticate young Frenchwoman who is always ready to smile or even giggle.

After showing the picture to my wife, I'm not so sure I will be allowed to meet Coco, after all.

Sep 7th, 2005, 06:07 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Sep 7th, 2005, 06:23 PM

nukesafe, LOL!! You tell your dear wife for me I don't think anyone can compete with the French women!!

Dear cocofromdigon, I hope at some point I do get the pleasure of meeting you. But in the meantime the beauty of your soul and heart shines through on all the post you have written.

Nukesafe, seriously, have a beautiful and wonderful trip!! Enjoy every moment. Best wishes!
Sep 8th, 2005, 12:44 AM

naughty Dick!!! > you were not supposed to tell everybody here!!! and I don't have black hair!
LoveItaly when are you coming to Dijon?

Dick as I've just said in my email..
HAVE A GREAT TRIP!!!
Sep 8th, 2005, 12:54 AM

Dick the video about Europe and Italians was so funny , I'd like to share it with LoveItaly (and everybody else of course). Actually you could change Italy into France. We are the same! (latin cousins yes!)
http://www.infonegocio.com/xeron/bruno/italy.html
Sep 8th, 2005, 11:22 AM

Scotland and France--my two favorite European destinations! I've read that the Scottish and the French have a natural affinity--(could it have anything to do with the British?)--but I hope that you have a lovely time. I too have enjoyed coco's kindly, fun postings.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO