Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

ONLY FOR AMERICANS !!! LEARN MORE ABOUT EURO : WWW.EURO.ECB.INT

Old Aug 16th, 2001, 06:34 AM
m

I took the liberty, of posting the adress of the european central bank, where anyone can learn something about european currencie. This way, I hope to help all those that came to europe after 1st January 2002.
GOOD VACATIONS !!!

Old Aug 16th, 2001, 07:03 AM
xxx

What, no mates in Australia, New Zealand, Africa, South America or elsewhere are allowed to use or learn about euros? Is the euro a scam to fleece Americans?

Old Aug 16th, 2001, 08:48 AM
m

sorry mate, I didnīt mean to upset you, but from what iīve read here, I feel that some Americans are in a way less prepared to deal with this issue ( note, that we europeans also fell the same, not everybody is yet 100% prepared ), the point here, is that I read someone asking about eurodollars ( whatever that is !!! ).
Thereīs also another important aspect ītill 1st january. There were some scams recently reported in the netherlands that in some bills ( when you use a Visa card )the currencie is deliberately changed to euros, and you end up paying much more.

Old Aug 16th, 2001, 09:59 AM
PB

< < There were some scams recently reported in the netherlands that in some bills ( when you use a Visa card )the currencie is deliberately changed to euros, and you end up paying much more.> >

This doesn't make sense. The various currencies have been "fixed" against the euro for two years now, so even if the bill is shown in euros - the price is the same as it would have been in the local currency. Unless you mean that they're 'rounding' UP instead of using the precise rate.

PB

Old Aug 16th, 2001, 10:08 AM
Mariarosa

Hi M! Thanks for posting the website. It is very useful.

PB - I think the scam that m is referring to is that the merchant will charge you in the local currency and then submit the slip with an E (Euro) in front of the amount. This was reported recently in another thread. So, for example, you buy something for 660 francs and you get a credit card bill for 600 dollars, because the merchant wrote an E in front of the amount.

Old Aug 16th, 2001, 10:12 AM
Clare

PB: I think what [email protected] is trying to convey about the netherlands thing is that for example if you get your bill for a pizza and it may read 5 (it will be written somewhere EUR) which is actually 10 NLG. Because not everyone is used to the conversion yet, some people may assume that the "5" is actually 5NLG instead of being the equilavent to double ie 10NLG.

Old Aug 16th, 2001, 10:51 AM
m

the scam, I referred I heard on the radio and it goes like this.
1 euro is the equivalent to 2,20371 NGL.
so if you buy something that costs 20 NGL, and you use a visa card, when the bill is presented to you, it must have ON THAT BILL... the VALUE IN two currencies. The problem is that they change the currencies, and instead of 20 ngl, they put 20 EUROS, and those 20 euros are in fact 44.06 ngl, so you simply...pay the doble.
So...what might make no sense to you, may end up costing a small fortune, if you donīt check very well what youīre signing.