Reload this Page >

Only 8 hours in Paris--what can we see?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30th, 2002, 09:34 PM
scaltreto

Traveling to Paris with British Shrinkers on Saturday, 4/20/02. Will have approximately a 2 hour tour and then left on our own. Any suggestions for must see and do. Would like to see Notre Dame, Eiffel Tower, etc. How do we get there; taxi, walk, distance between sites? Where to eat--would like to relax and have a really nice lunch and enjoy the sights. What little shops and/or stores should we visit and where? None of us speak French. Any and all suggestions would REALLY be appreciated!!

Old Mar 30th, 2002, 09:41 PM
meredith

see Notre Dame and wander through Latin Quarter, then have a picnic lunch in Jardin de Luxembourg.. Take a picture of the Eiffel Tower on your riverboat cruise along the Seine (save seeing it up close for the next trip) Hit Musee d'Orsay and Louvre. Walk down Rue de Rivoli and have chocolat chaud at Angelina's. Is that 8 hours? hang on, I'll keep thinking and will get back to you-

Old Mar 30th, 2002, 09:47 PM
Rex

A little confused about the eight hours, and where fatigue fits in. When is the tour done? Where does it leave you? Do you have a place to sleep in Paris that night? or a night train to catch? Where are your bags during this eight hours? and does it end at midnight? 10 pm? 4 am?<BR><BR>Silly as it may sound, a person (or group) can pack a whole lot of living into eight hours in Paris. Are you many? with someone you love?<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Mar 31st, 2002, 01:07 AM

don't forget to go to the top<BR><BR>of the Eiffel Tower, that is...<BR>

Old Mar 31st, 2002, 08:34 AM
Trudy

Is Paris like New York? I mean, "half a million things to do at a quarter to three"? What nightlife would be recommended to thirty somethings that don't mind letting their hair down a little bit, but don't want some rave, dominated by 19 year olds?<BR><BR>And will such a place always be terribly smoke-filled? <BR><BR>Alternatively, are there late-night coffeehouse type places, where it is quiet enough to talk and drink wine?<BR>

Old Mar 31st, 2002, 10:51 AM
Trudy

Anyone?<BR>

Old Mar 31st, 2002, 12:42 PM
Timeout

www.timeout.com/paris<BR>

Old Mar 31st, 2002, 08:15 PM
scaltreto

Leaving London on Saturday at 6:30 a.m. (Eurostar) and arriving in Paris at 10:30 (one hour ahead of England). No jet lag having been in London for five days before our Paris tour. Two hour tour with British Shrinkers. I think we are dropped off at the Opera House and on our own from there. We (3 adults) arrive back in London at 9:30 p.m. so we will be leaving Paris at 7:30 p.m. Really need suggestions regarding cafes, sights, etc. Meredith's ideas sound very good. However, need to know distance between sites (really want to see view from the Eiffel Tower, tour Notre Dame, etc.). Will we be able to walk or should we take a taxi. How far to the Louvre What suggestions for shops for gifts for home in that area, etc. As you all can tell, I am really a novice at this; my first time to Europe. I guess we just want to do the usual "touristy" things. All suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 01:49 AM
Helper

Take a cab or walk (less than 30 minutes) straight to Musee d'Orsay. I don't know what time they stop serving lunch in the wonderful main dining room there, but since you'll still be on London "body time" (maybe carry a snack?), use an hour seeing some of the museum. Then sit down there to an excellent lunch. Affordable, good food, good service, in a room as pertty as any of the art there. Unles you are not interested in the greatest art of the Western hemisphere, spend another hour after your lunch there. You can't possibly see even all of the highlights in two one-hour periods, but that will saturate you. Now walk off your lunch. The Eiffel tower and Notre Dame are in opposite directions. Choose one. Walk there. If its Notre Dame, go see Sainte Chapelle while you are nearby. Take a taxi to the other. I can see advantages to either order.<BR><BR>You'll get more ideas from other people now that we know that it's day time hours and not night time. And you'll be on your feet all day, with no hotel room to take a break.<BR><BR>This is not how I would travel to Paris. But that's another question.<BR>

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 11:10 AM
ttt

ttt

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 12:10 PM
beware

Does the eight hours include allowing for traffic, getting to train station,checking in etc?<BR>I would start off at the Arc de Triomphe,continue down the Champs Elysees,shop a little,take a peek at the Place de la Concorde,Opera,keep walking past the Louvre(don't even think of getting in).Take a breather at Centre Pompidou,always something going on there.Cross over to the Notre Dame,go inside,don't climb the stairs,conserve energy.From this point I would take the metro,easy to use,go over to the left bank, to the Musee d'Orsay.If you like the Impressionists you stand a better chance of getting in here than the Louvre,then Les Invalides.Metro again to the Eiffel tower.Don't try to go up unless there's no line or you have the strength left.I don't think you will have time to get to Monmartre and my favorite church,Sacre Coeur but if you can then take a taxi and relax..........<BR>If you pass by Galeries Lafayette,Samaritaine,Printemps,try to resist going in-all your time will whiz by shopping inside.........<BR>Paris is a walkeable city,just do according to your stamina and the weather!

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 02:07 PM
Debbie

Getting to the top of the Eiffer Tower is a two elevator process--although the first is actually a gondola-type car. Even if the lines to enter initially are not long, there is a good chance that the lines for the elevator to the top will be very long--a long wait to go up and a long wait to come down. Consider the compromise of skipping the top and looking from the second floor. You will save quite a bit of time (and some money) and the view is still great.

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 09:50 PM
Rex

The plan from beware seems to ignore that this 8 hour day begins at 12:30 after a two hour tour. Time for lunch. not the Arc de Triomphe. Where to lunch from there? McDonalds?<BR><BR>Thumbs up for the Musee d'Orsay plan.<BR>

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 11:42 PM
chris

I'm interested in suggestions too, since I'll be taking my Niece to Paris on a daytrip from London in July. We arrive at CDG at 8am and our flight back is at 9:30pm so after taking the RER B into the center we'll actually have about 10 hours in Paris. Does anyone have any walking tour suggestions or experince with the hop on/off boat? I've been before and I am guessing that just using the Metro may be our best bet as all the major sites seem to pretty much be on the same lines.<BR><BR>I was thinking we might go directly to Louvre then walk through Tuileries to Concorde, metro to Arch d'Triomphe, then metro to the Tour Eiffel, metro to d'Orsay, metro to Notre Dame/Luxembourg for a stroll around Jardin Luxembourg and Latin Quarter back to Notre Dame finishing up the day at Notre Dame area before heading back to the airport on RER B. Yes, I know this will be a full whirlwind day but this is meant to just give my Niece an "introduction" to Paris and Europe traveling in general.

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 02:41 AM
tpping

to the top<BR>

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 12:23 AM
up again

for Chris<BR>