Only 4 Days

Old Nov 28th, 2005, 12:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Only 4 Days

Any recommendations? I've only got 4 days and am attempting to decide whether to spend in Paris, Amsterdam or Madrid. I've done all the research on all the cities and they all seem equally fantastic. Should be a mix of great food and art which all the cities have, and I'll be traveling solo. I'll be going in less than a week! Look forward to hearing the input. Thanks
Old Nov 28th, 2005, 12:57 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Have you been to any previously?
Where else will you be?
Old Nov 28th, 2005, 12:59 PM
Original Poster

Sadly, I've not been to any of the three destinations. I've traveled frequently to London for business but have not had the chance to extend any of my trips or spend much time outside of that city. Now, I've got another trip and have the opportunity to jump out for 4 days and am having a hard time selecting a destination to dedicate the time. Mostly, it should be interesting and easy for a solo traveler to get around and spend some time. Thanks for any tips.
Old Nov 28th, 2005, 01:08 PM

We just recently came back from 4 days in Paris and had a wonderful time. Of course, one could spend many more days in Paris and not see everything, but it gave us a great taste of the city. I haven't been to Madrid and was only in Amsterdam for a short time, but my vote would be Paris.

Tracy
Old Nov 28th, 2005, 01:14 PM
rex

I'll say Paris. With winter approaching, you'll find it a bit more comfortable and convenient to travel by Metro and/or cab. Amsterdam seems quite a bit more compact, and more a place to enjoy just walking everywhere - - better saved for more pleasant weather (and more daylight hours).

I have never been to Madrid.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Nov 28th, 2005, 01:16 PM

I've never been to Madrid, but I would not recommend it for a solo traveler. It is supposedly very unsafe. I've known many people who have been there who have been pick-pocketed.

I would personally recommend Paris for a solo trip. Amsterdam is also great, but really fun with friends! Paris is just great because of all the outdoor cafes and museums, so you would never really feel like you were alone.

Old Nov 28th, 2005, 01:21 PM

If your starting point is London, it seems like Paris is the easiest. But there're probably low-cost flights to Madrid and Amsterdam (certainly to the latter, via BMI).

It looks like you've not made arrangements, and I think that I'd first check and see what the transportation fares are like in the three cases (you're leaving in less than a week, you wrote).

In other words, my concerns would be practical first. I'm not much of a fan of Amsterdam myself. Of course everyone will say Paris, but all three are fine for a 4-day trip. I'd even consider splitting the time between Paris and Amsterdam given 4 days (I'm that sort of traveler).

Old Nov 28th, 2005, 01:24 PM

At the risk of inciting contrary opinions I'll state that of the three you mention, A. is the most unique, with the strongest flavor all its own. Sure, Paris is all we love her for, but in certain parts you could be in Vienna or Berlin or Brussels and look at traffic and shops and for a moment be fooled when told that it's Paris. Never so with A.

That said, A. and P. have equally rich choices of all kinds of museums, not just art (history, ethnography, military, science and space exploration, and so on). M. is not quite as abundant.

A. is probably the most rewarding for someone who can walk all day. It's also the coldest if there's a cold snap - those winds gathering speed coming down the canals can bite you.

But what a great quandary you're in! Why not draw straws and go with lady luck - she won't fail you in this instance no matter the outcome!

WK
Old Nov 28th, 2005, 01:32 PM

Do you have a language advantage in Paris as opposed to Madrid?

I have not been to Madrid, so I cannot comment much beyond what has been said by others.

Paris has some fascination for me, but it is qualified.

I often felt that if I spoke a little more French, I would be ahead of the game.
Old Nov 28th, 2005, 02:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all for the reponses, this has been very helpful. Don't want to spread too thinly so Paris it is!
Old Nov 28th, 2005, 02:51 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I did A'dam solo for 5 days and that was just right for me. I was in Paris 5 days and that was not nearly long enough. Point being, I think it is easier to do Amsterdam justice solo and in a short period of time, than it is Paris.
Old Dec 1st, 2005, 05:20 AM

I agree with Suze, Amsterdam is much easier with only 4 days.
Old Dec 1st, 2005, 06:45 AM
ira

Hi B,

Definitely Paris.

That way if you die and go to Heaven, you won't be disappointed that you never got to Paris.