Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Only 1 lunch & 1 dinner in Amsterdam, recommended Dutch & Indonesian restaurants?

Only 1 lunch & 1 dinner in Amsterdam, recommended Dutch & Indonesian restaurants?

Aug 7th, 2005, 03:05 PM
Original Poster

DH & I have a 1-day layover in Amsterdam in November on our way to Tanzania, so will only be there long enough for one lunch and one dinner. We would like to have one Dutch meal and one Indonesian (cuisines not found in great abundance where we live). We are planning to see the Anne Frank House, Van Gogh Museum, and take a canal boat tour or walk, so would like restaurants fitting roughly into those geographic areas (especially since the weather may not be great). We'd like to keep lunch under about $40 USD total, & dinner under about $85 USD total. Ideas? Thanks in advance for helping us make the most of our very limited time in Amsterdam.
Aug 7th, 2005, 03:39 PM

Some years ago, I lived in Amsterdam for a
year where I worked for an international organization. I actually lived only two
blocks from the Anne Frank house on the
same street (Prinsengracht) and it was very
emotional to re-read the diary and hear the
same hourly bells at the Westerkerk (a block away) that Anne heard. But, I digress, back to your meal question. I am convinced that you must have one Indonesian meal, which will be very authentic. At the time Iived there, one of the most authentic ristaffels was at a restaurant called Sama Sebo, which is near the museum district (Van Gogh museum). I am told that there are now
several others in the Jordaan (a very historic and picturesque district) near the Anne Frank House itself. Perhaps some other posters who have been in Amsterdam recently can help. In any event, if time is short do not miss the Anne Frank House. It is very low key and left almost exactly as it
was when the family was deported. Very moving.
Aug 7th, 2005, 05:32 PM

Sama Sebo -
http://www.10best.com/Amsterdam/Rest...sinessID=56975

Puri Mas -
http://www.purimas.nl/
Aug 7th, 2005, 08:19 PM

Hi Lisa, here is advice on an Indonesian restaurant in Amsterdam from an Australian!! We were there a few weeks ago and on the advice of our landord (stayed in a fantastic B&B called Boogards) we took a group of Australians to Kantjil which was excellent! 17 of us ate and drank for 676 euro. It was absolutely delicious and located on the Spui. I've not visited the website but just found it on my receipt! www.kantjil.nl
Good luck!
Aug 7th, 2005, 09:06 PM

Sama Sebo is very close to the Van Gough Museum. Ate there most recently in 2002--third time. A fellow from our town, who has family in AMS, always eats there with relatives when visiting each year. It is not a fancy restaurant, but you can get a variety plate choice for lunch. The Sea Palace is a large, floating restaurant where many tours stop. Lots of variety, if you are with a group.
We have had a "typical" Dutch meal at Hadje Classe (sp??). It was first suggested by our B&B operator, and then I found a mention in either Fodor's or Froemmer's book. Quite popular, it has seemed--gone there 4 times. Don't know the address but it has entrances on two streets and one might be Spui. mhm
Aug 8th, 2005, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for these ideas! Also I've heard Dutch pancakes are good -- any recommendations there?
Aug 8th, 2005, 11:46 AM

This is the link for the restaurant mentioned just above:

http://www.haesjeclaes.nl/