Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

one week!! then vroom off to Amsterdam and parts of Germany!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6th, 2002, 11:30 AM
flygirl

Look for a trip report at the end of the month... if I may field any questions, shoot!! <BR><BR>Friday the 13th I fly to Amsterdam (via Copenhagen, on SAS - anyone know what first class on SAS is like and how tough it is to get an upgrade? is it as nice as on BA?), will be in Amsterdam for a few days (hint, when there is a huge conference going on, it pays to email the biggies for cancellations - I got into the Spaander which looks lovely - 265 for two nights).<BR><BR>Then off to Den Haag for a lunch with a friend, after which - Cologne, where I pick up a Beemer from Sixt (look for a report on that, who knows, might end up buying one when I get back, hey, once before ended up with a new car upon a return from a trip after seeing how lovely the rental was...)...<BR><BR>then off to visit a few friends in K-town... then visit my boyfriend's parents near Heidelberg... THEN visit a business contact in Mainz... (are ya getting tired yet?)<BR><BR>then off to Munich to visit a few friends, including a few I met in Monte Carlo earlier this year... and from there, who knows. Maybe Salzburg, definitely heaps of hiking. and museums. and beer drinking (Oktoberfest, here I come...)<BR><BR>sigh. traveling, it's such bliss.<BR><BR>(one small annoyance, my stupid Leica digicam has been cranky on me, so we'll see if the recent repair makes a difference - a testing of sorts. might have to come home with a new camera... but do look for pics from this trip, next month, as well...)

Old Sep 6th, 2002, 11:34 AM
Kate

Wow. I am exhausted just reading this! Can't wait to hear all about it.<BR>Have a great time, enjoy the car ~<BR>Boyfriends parents, huh? Must be serious <BR>Hope the camera works!<BR>

Old Sep 9th, 2002, 09:41 AM
flygirl

I found out more info for those looking for a room in Cologne.<BR><BR>[email protected]<BR><BR>is the email address for the tourist office there. It's right next to the train station and it's open 800-2230. They can help with last minute requests for lodging. I plan to roll into town and get a room when I get there. <BR><BR>more as I get situated. just days away now...

Old Sep 9th, 2002, 05:51 PM
Larry

Isn't the Spaander in Volendam about 10 miles from Amsterdam? There's good bus transportation on the 110 line though.

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 04:02 AM
flygirl

yup, it's about 10-12 miles out. there is a HUGE conference going on, all hotels in the city are booked and if you believe the Amsterdam tourist board, all B&Bs too. I didn't feel like going to the effort of looking really hard for that "one room" still open in town, so I'm paying a teeny bit more and staying out of town. the hotel looks beautiful though.<BR><BR>check out the site:<BR><BR>http://www.bestwestern.nl/spaander/

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 08:43 AM
annette

Looking forward to your report, flygirl. Good tip to email hotels for cancellations. (I was shooting for a trip to Amsterdam at this time last year and the annual media convention left no rooms in A'dam.) Have a blast!<BR><BR>Will you be visiting Ludwig's castle? I haven't been, but have read there is a good day hike taking you through hilly woods and leading to paths near the castle. Perhaps your friends in Munich know about that hike. <BR><BR>

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 12:23 PM
flygirl

just found out Elvis Costello is playing in Cologne the night I am there.<BR><BR>the Music Gods are smiling on me, as usual.<BR><BR>YEAH!