Search

One week in Italy

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19th, 2006, 01:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One week in Italy

Hi everyone-

I am going to Italy for two weeks this June. Flying from San Antonio to Milan through Chicago. My sister is joining me from Chicago. Our trip dates are June 10-23. From June 11-June17 we will be in Lake Como, I will be attending a conference there from June 12-16. We are planning on flying in/out from Milan. That leaves us one week to explore before we have to get back to our careers. Same careers that prevent us from taking a longer trip.

My sis has seen many places in Italy, except Venice. I have seen Venice and some of northern Italy's towns. We are trying to plan the week. I do not want to spend each day on a train, and think that two places is all we can see, in order to get us back to Milan June 21 eve for shopping in Milan on June 22 before we head back.

The trouble is which two places? We are pretty flexible and waver between Venice and the Amalfi coast or other coastal area to another city.

Suggestions? Not only where to go, where to stay, help understanding the train system-everything is welcomed.

Thanks.

Old Mar 19th, 2006, 02:13 PM

Why not spend 3 days in Venice then come back to Cinque Terre for 3 days? You would be very close to Milan for your last night. Cinque Terre is similar to the Amalfi Coast, and you two could have great fun exploring the villages.
Go to www.trenitalia.com and click on "English" at the top. You can then type in Milan to Venice and will will show you train departures, length of trip, type of trains,etc. Once you're within 60 days of your train trip, it will show you prices.
[email protected]
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 07:16 AM
ira

Hi A,

My bias would be to spend the time in Venice.

You can daytrip to Padua, or Verona, or Bologna, or even Florence if you wish.

Old Apr 4th, 2006, 12:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your suggestions. I still have not totally figured out which is better: to purchase tix through trenitalia or get a eurail pass.

After going back and forth, my sis and I decided to go for pure relaxation. Our new plan is to leave Lake Como after the conference, and head straight down to Capri for a 4 night stay. From there we plan to visit Positano and the Blue Grotto. We are decideing on the hotel. And I would like to travel both to/from Milan by train. My sis favors travelling to Naples by train, but return by plane. Any thoughts?

Also, any thoughts on where to stay in Capri- we are leaning towards splurging on the hotel?

a
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 12:46 PM

In general, for so short a period of time and so few trips, a railpass is not cost effective in Italy. You can usse the calcualotr at railsaver.com--remeber to click *only if it saves me money.*