Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

One week in Austria ... What "must see"??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17th, 2000, 08:31 AM
Roger

In travelling to Europe in July with my wife. It's our first Europe travel, and we have a week free in Austria. <BR>We are intending to stay 3 days in Vienna, 2 days in Salzburg and 2 days in Innsbruck. <BR>We need some help about the best views, places to visit and etc... <BR>Thanks for your help!

Old Apr 17th, 2000, 06:16 PM
steve

2 days in Salzburg is not enough!!! <BR>Besides touring the city (and the Sound of Music tour if you are so inclined - I liked it), go to the ice caves near Werfen and the Salt Mines at Hallein. <BR> <BR>On the way to Innsbruck, take the route that will take you by Krimml Falls

Old Apr 17th, 2000, 07:48 PM
steve

In Vienna definately see Schonbrunn Palace-it was the home of Empress Maria Theresa and quite spectacular. In July the grounds should be very beatiful as well. The State Opera House (Staatsoper) is very beautiful and if there is a performance there while you're in Vienna make an effort to go.

Old Apr 18th, 2000, 10:34 AM
carolyn

See St. Jakob's church in Innsbruck. Eat pastry everywhere.

Old Apr 18th, 2000, 12:40 PM
Christina

My mom is from Vienna, Austria, so I've been in this beautiful country 3 times. In Vienna, you must take a day to go to Schonnbrun Palace. The palace itself is amazing (it was a take-off on Versailles), and the grounds are even more spectacular. Tour the palace and then walk around the grounds. Be sure to walk up to the "Glorietta" to get a beautiful view of the surrounding city. Also in Vienna you should see the Karls Kirche (St. Charle's Church). It's breathtaking. You should definitely do some shopping on the Mariahilfestrasse (more economical) and the Karntner Strasse (more upscale). <BR>As for food, you can't go wrong in Austria. The Austrians pride themselves on great desserts: You must try a Saltzburgerknockerl. This is a delicacy and should be ordered prior to the meal. Also, plum or apricot dumplings are scrumptious!

Old Apr 18th, 2000, 03:07 PM
Deborah

Spend one less day in Salzburg (too "American") and use it either for Salzburg or Vienna. I spent 3 nights in Salzburg and 4 in Vienna and that was just enough time.

Old Apr 19th, 2000, 04:28 AM
tundraa

If inclined to the outdoors then visit the lake region outside salzburg by <BR>cicumventing the group and ending in Traunkirchen (sp?) rent an electric <BR>motorboat by the hour and take in some <BR>beautiful mountain lake scenery.Another wonderful day outing from Salzburg is the berchtesgarden area just past the salt mines over the mountain into Germany. Konigsee is touristy but very scenic. Eagles nest and other attractions as well as scenic driving. <BR> <BR>Toward Innsbruck if you follow the highway Zell am See to Zell am Ziller and avoid the autobahn in this area then you will truly experience what my wife calls Heidi country. <BR> <BR>In summer you can get unbelievable good value on the outskirts of Innsbruck within 30 minutes at quaint ski oriented resort towns and villages.

Old Apr 19th, 2000, 05:29 AM
Jeanie

Sounds like a great trip. I agree with everyone else, definitely see the Schonbrunn Palace and do the self-guided tour with headphones. If you like Gustav Klimt, go to Schloss Belvedere, also beautiful. You can see his most famous work, The Kiss, there. You should also check out a Heuriger out in Grinzing or Nussdorf (really easy to get there by streetcar, I can give you details if you write me). Mariahilferstrasse is lots of fun and is actually where the real Viennese shop. At one end of the street is the Westbahnhof, at the other the Naschmarkt, an open air market which you shouldn't miss. <BR>two days is plenty in Salzburg, it's really touristy and expensive. It is cute, but it's also pretty small. Innsbruck is a pretty town in a gorgeous setting. I think we went for a day and a half or so.