Reload this Page >

One week, Berlin and where else?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14th, 2001, 11:53 AM
lisa

Am considering a sale fare roundtrip to Berlin in late May-early June. If I go, I will have only 7 days, and I would like to split my time between Berlin and one other city. It needs to be someplace that is accessible by train within 4-5 hours from Berlin, and I will also need to train back to Berlin, because this fare will not allow for an open jaw. Any suggestions? Prague? Would Copenhagen be too far? I'm open to considering another smaller city or town in Germany also, as long as they're not too far by train from Berlin (within Germany, I have previously been only to Frankfurt and several towns along the Rhine and Mosel, so haven't explored other regions of Germany). Interests are architecture, food, wine, art, history, etc. I'll most likely be travelling by myself (me and my one semester of high school German). Any ideas?

Old Feb 14th, 2001, 12:03 PM
Patrick

We spent 5 nights in Berlin this past summer and ran out of time to do a lot of the things we wanted to do, although one day was taken up with a trip to the World's Fair at Hannover. We are already planning to include 9 or 10 nights in Berlin next trip. I would actually stay in Berlin and do some full day trips. Liepzig and Dresden each would take a full day, although very little travel time. Hamburg is another interesting city and quite doable as a day trip. If you did each of those three it would only leave you with four days in Berlin, and one of those should be devoted to the castles/palaces at nearby Potsdam.

Old Feb 14th, 2001, 12:16 PM
lisa

Wow, Patrick, that was fast AND helpful! I know from reading some of your other threads that we enjoy a lot of the same kinds of places, so I'll consider adding more time to Berlin. Still, Prague has always sounded so intriguing...but maybe I should consider saving it for another trip...

Old Feb 14th, 2001, 12:29 PM
Rex

Considerably closer than Prague - - and pleasant as can be is Weimar. And you could make a very nice "loop trip" (a bit more than a "day trip - - one or two over nights?) to Leipzig and/or Dresden and/or Jena while you're at it). In fact, this might eat up as much time as you want to give it. <BR> <BR>But I agree with Patrick that Berlin and Potsdam are not going to leave you hungering for tons and tons of other destinations. <BR>

Old Feb 14th, 2001, 12:49 PM
Patrick

Well, Lisa, while you're making that list for future considertion, I'd plan on a trip to the magic three: Vienna, Budapest, and Prague. Their similarities and contrasts make for such an interesting trip taken together.

Old Feb 14th, 2001, 07:04 PM
Linda

Patrick and Rex have given you great advise. Berlin and Prague deserve more time than you have. Another German town to consider is Hamelin (as in Pied Piper fame).

Old Feb 15th, 2001, 02:23 AM
Dave

If you go to Weimar - do not miss Erfurt, a wonderful, very picturesque samll town. What I loved about eastern Germany is that (almost) everything is now almost totally restored and it's just very pretty.

Old Feb 15th, 2001, 06:23 AM
arlene

Lisa-i lived in Berlin for 12 months from may99 to last june.I went to Prague by train in late january, and it was fantastic.You sais you liked architecture, well there's LOADS of amazing stuff in Czech.You may not have enough time to go to another smaller town in Germany, unless you're willing to sacrifice seeing some of the things in Berlin/Prague.When you go make SURE you see the Brandemburg gates/Die Reichstag-they're better by day as you can really appreciate the city's landscape.Go to the Alexanderplatz T.V. tower too.There's a revolving restaurant that serves good food at a reasonable price.Go just before dusk and you'll get one amazing impression of the city!Prague has a few bus tours to offer - so long as you go to the palace you'll be fine, everything in Prague is breathtaking.Just be ware there are 2 train stations considered to be the main ones, make sure you get off at the 2nd as it's closer to the city centre!Have fun!!P.S dont eat in ANY restaurant on the Ku'Damm as it's the most expensive place in the city, but the most popular for tourists.Find a smaller italian or imbiss on a side street (no matter how dodgy they look!) and you'll get much bigger portions for a lot less!

Old Feb 20th, 2001, 01:41 PM
scott

Lisa, This might sound very nasty, BUT take your time in Berlin! There are very many interesting places, things and events going on all of the time. <BR>Depending on your spirit of adventureness, hit the side streets (after you have picked up a good map of Berlin), learn to use the UBahn, SBahn and the bus. <BR>Go wild, food, theater Zoo, Parks in general - there are flea markets, ,TRUNDL (sp?) shops (second hand) where you can go 'FAR OUT'! <BR>One week in Berlin is nothing, you will have just started and it will be time to go home. <BR>Food: Zeugnerkeller (on MotzeStr) was great, zither player and all! IPunckt (tall building with the Mercedes star on it, just across from the Kaiser Whilhem Gedaechtness Kirche)has various cuisines and a great 'jumping off place' for your pleasures (shopping/dining or just walking). <BR>Do not forget to take comfortable walking shoes, (hopefully) you will need them. <BR>Gute Fahrt und viel spass! <BR>PS Do take your camera, Berlin is a CITY well worth seeing. I know, as I had spent several years there! You will not 'see' all of the sights in your short visit, no matter what anyone says! You do need to take your time AND DO NOT ACT LIKE THE TYPICAL AMERICAN! Be friendly, slight reserve, and you will see a REAL BERLIN! As far as your knowing the language, it will be to your loss, many, many Berlin residents speak English, some better than you! <BR>Noch einmal, VIEL SPASS and drink a Berliner WEISSE for me. <BR>TSCHUSS

Old Feb 20th, 2001, 03:53 PM
Paul

Lisa, <BR>I went to Berlin last year for 4 days and took a train to Prague for an overnight stay. I highly recommend going to Prague since I found it to be one of the more beautiful cities in Europe. The Charles Bridge is very romantic and the sheer architecture is so different from rest of western Europe. I didn't particularly like Berlin that much. I think Berlin would have been much more interesting place to visit before the Berlin Wall came down. I have been to all over Germany and I find Munchen a better place to visit than Berlin but this is strictly my own personal opinion. It is funny how Scott mentioned that the Germans speak English very well. I took 4 years of German during high school and when we had exchange students from Germany, they spoke perfect English. However, when I visited Germany both former West and East Germany, I didn't come across a lot of Germans who knew how to speak English. The other thing that amazed me was that so many Czech people in Prague knew how to speak English and German.

Old Feb 22nd, 2001, 07:09 PM
Susanne

Hi Lisa <BR>First check out either "raileurope.com" or" bahn.hafas.de" for rail travel connections& times- you'll be happy to see the quick train times & places you can get to in 4+/- hours. Yes you could spentd the whole week in Berlin & not see it all, BUT- "places to go & people to see!" good idea to try see something else as well!! The architecture & history is everywhere & the scenery varies. Have been to Germany several times & always try somewhere new& always end up saying- "OOOh , I'll have to come back one day!!" Hamburg in the north is a very interesting place, the port tour is great, sightseeing easy & apparently they have more bridges thanany where on the continent!! Hameln(pied Piper fame) is nice but about a day is enough. Munich is awesome!!! Heidelberg great too. <BR>Garmisch & Fussen near alps BEAUTIFUL! <BR>Compare the reg. fares to a 4 day german rail pass & don't forget the train services are excellent & can get you from south germany back to Berlin overnight in time for your return flight!! Biggest suggestion is to try to extend your trip at least 3-4 days as you'll basically lose your first & last days to " travel/airport time". I went 10days last year & the jetlag on such a short trip was terrible. Going again this April for 20 days. & thinking of checking out Berlin just for a day or 2. Bremen is another option. <BR>germany-tourism.de is a great site & will provide you with all you need for info+ an "event guide" that will show you wht's going on & where- There may be a concert or exhibit of some sort you may wish to see & may help decide where you'd like to go; most cities listed on the site also have their own websites to provide even more info. <BR>P.S Your German will help- most younger Germans speak English very well but some of the older folks at markets, stores, etc. don't <BR>Viel Spass!!! <BR>Susanne- feel free to contact me if you like <BR>Hamburg in the north is great

Old Feb 22nd, 2001, 08:10 PM

to the top <BR>