One Peach Pit for Fodors

Nov 11th, 2001, 05:48 PM
Bob Brown

One Peach Pit for Fodors

Fodors is not doing us much good by instituting an editor that takes all of the foreign letters, such as the French and German letters with accent marks, graves, and umlauts by replacing them with a ?.
Given the ability of modern computers to make about any kind of symbol or mark you want, this is decidely a step backwards toward the dark ages graphically speaking.
Must be a new economy wave or something!
But at any rate, it is not my idea of progress. What say you to my not so humble opinion??

Nov 11th, 2001, 06:13 PM
Rex

I agree with you Bob, but I suspect that it came with the recent changes (perhaps a limitation of something from an outside vendor), and they didn't realize it prospectively.

Write to them, and I suspect that they will see what they can do to fix it - - or insist that their vendor fix it.

Best wishes,

Rex

Nov 11th, 2001, 07:21 PM
testing

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?

Nov 11th, 2001, 07:22 PM
sigh

Aint progress grand?

I guess they figured if they can't make it better they'd keep busy by changing it.

Nov 11th, 2001, 09:28 PM
P. Glott

Maybe they get paid a bonus every time they make a change, but no one cares whether it's a change for the better or worse.

Nov 12th, 2001, 04:55 AM
Joanne

What a ridiculous pain in the neck! It's rather difficult to hold a conversation about prices when one can't even use the pound-sign for British currency. The weird thing is that it DOES appear when I type my reply, but then the gremilins convert it to question marks before posting!

?????

Nov 12th, 2001, 11:23 AM
Christina

What kind of computer do you guys have? I have a Compaq PC and I've noticed a lot of funny little boxes in the place of various foreign diacritical marks, not ?s. J'ai soup?onn? qu'il ?tait la m?me probl?me -- ? bient?t...

Nov 12th, 2001, 11:24 AM
Christina

ahah!!!

Nov 12th, 2001, 11:42 AM
elaine

Christina
I saw those funny little boxes when I
printed out elvira's recent Paris and London reports, but for me they were appearing in place of English punctuation
like apostrophes and quote marks

Nov 12th, 2001, 12:10 PM
xxx

I get either boxes and question marks. Running Netscape on a Mac.

Nov 12th, 2001, 02:35 PM
fran

I agree we should send polite notes to our hosts. In the mean time will avoid using. ? ? (can't resist trying!).

Nov 12th, 2001, 02:56 PM
xxx

Just curious to see what happens with various European punctuation:

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?