Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

One night -Villefranche-sur-mer or Menton?

May 24th, 2002, 06:53 AM
Robert

We are landing in Nice on our way to Italy. We want to stay overnight before driving to Italy. Which one would you suggest for the one night - Villefranche or Menton? Hotel recommendations would be appreciated also.

May 24th, 2002, 07:16 AM
Wayne

Either place is very nice. Villefranche-sur-mer is practically right at Nice, so I would suggest you go at least as far as Menton. If your objective is to stay overnight within France, you probably know Menton is just about the last place you can do that. But if your plane arrives in the morning, I would suggest you drive farther to the little village of Cervo on the coast in Italy; a really neat place. But if you want to say you spent a night in France, stay in Menton.

May 24th, 2002, 09:01 AM
Julie

Contrary to the advice above, I recommend staying in Villefranche. If you'll be spending the rest of your time in Italy, Villefranche is "more French" than Menton which is so close to the Italian border it share as much if not more history with Italy than with France. I think Villefranche will provide more diversity than Menton.

May 24th, 2002, 10:07 AM
Robert

Thanks for your thoughts on the two places.

Does anyone have hotel suggestions for both? I have found info on hotels in Menton, but can't seem to find as many choices in Villefanche.

May 24th, 2002, 10:25 AM
carol

Hi Robert,

Villefranche-sur-mer is a really charming tiny little town right on the water. Try the Hotel Welcome--although it's in the lower part of the town, right on the beach and I don't know if that will present a problem for parking the car.

May 24th, 2002, 01:08 PM
Joe

I spent the longest month of my life during the two days I stayed in MENTON.
Nuff said.

May 24th, 2002, 01:22 PM
amy

Hi Robert: We stayed in neither, visited both. Villefranche would win hands down. It's postcard pretty. Hotel Welcome would be darn convenient.

That said, stop at the Jean Cocteau musee in Menton on your way to Italy. Park in the middle of town and walk along the beach area to the little castle. He wasn't the greatest artist, this isn't the world's best museum, but as art "gourmands" we voted this the best marriage of contents and space on our whole Riviera trip (don't worry, art fiends--we loooovvved the Maeght in St. Paul de Vence). Walk back to your car via the Old Town section.

Ta-duh...best of both towns.

May 24th, 2002, 05:13 PM
Villefranche

Here's another vote for Hotel Welcome in Villefranche. Do splurge for a corner suite with balcony overlooking water and sleep with doors open so you can enjoy sound of water. Tehre is parking in the civic lot right across from the hotel, which also has, I think, 2 spots that can be reserved.