Reload this Page >

One more backpack question...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11th, 2001, 06:48 AM
question

In the past my husband has carried the backpack with stuff like sunscreen, camera, hats and any purchases inside. I don't particularly want to carry all that "stuff" in a bag over my shoulder hanging in front. He's happy to carry it but seems backpacks are "out"...what do men do when they're the packhorse for the women?

Old Jun 11th, 2001, 06:57 AM
Ed

What do men do ... ? <BR> <BR>Carry a backpack. <BR> <BR>I don't know that I agree that they're "out". I don't particularly care if they're out. If they're convenient and work for us, that's what we use. <BR> <BR>twenj

Old Jun 11th, 2001, 07:00 AM
Diane

I know we decided that was something we wanted for our next trip...daytime backpacks. Like Ed, who cares if they are in or out. We saw plenty in Italy!

Old Jun 11th, 2001, 07:07 AM
Donna

I just ordered a daytime backpack today. <BR> <BR>Figured instead of me dealing with a purse alone- at least with a backpack we can take turns carrying it - with a purse it's all my responsibility. <BR> <BR>In or out - I think it is what will work best. <BR> <BR>I did also get a small purse just in case. <BR> <BR>Donna

Old Jun 11th, 2001, 07:15 AM
steph

What's a "daytime" backpack...I have a heavy fabric type backpack (not leather) that I take on all our trips. One suggestion is to zip it down - ie. don't have the zippers meet at the top - too easy to pull down and reach in. Having the zips meet at the bottom makes unzipping it apply pressure that you can feel.

Old Jun 11th, 2001, 07:19 AM
Donna

Daytime pack - at least the one I just ordered is a mini version of a full size pack. <BR> <BR>If I recall correctly its about 11 x 10 instead of 17 x 15 or so. <BR> <BR>It will be large enough for the little we need to carry and easier and lighter than a full size pack. <BR> <BR>Donna

Old Jun 11th, 2001, 07:21 AM
J T Kirk

Add me to the chorus who says "who cares if other people say it's out" of fashion. then again, I don't like backpacks. they're too inconvenient. I use a Domke camera bag. It's big enough to hold my cameras, lenses, film and a lot of other stuff (within reason.) I sling this over my shoulder. I find this more convenient. I can keep my hand on it (for security) when I'm in very crowded situations. plus, I can easily get hings in and out of it in a hurry. I also think it's a little less "obvious" as a tourist signal.

Old Jun 11th, 2001, 07:39 AM
wherecan

Donna..where did your order your "daytime" backpack??

Old Jun 11th, 2001, 07:49 AM
shopper

Just buy a school backpack.

Old Jun 11th, 2001, 07:56 AM
Donna

I got mine from luggageonline.com - just because I know I will not have time before I leave to go shopping.

Old Jun 11th, 2001, 07:57 AM
flyboy

The latest trend seems to be the messenger bag. Basically a vynal breifcase with a long strap that's worn across the chest. You can find them almost anywhere from Staples to LL Bean.

Old Jun 11th, 2001, 08:03 AM
scurry

<BR>Our backpack that has survived two trips to Europe and one to Australia, has three zippers: two on the top, for the main compartment and one on the back pocket. <BR> <BR>If you bring both top zippers to the side with the other zipper, you can use one of those small gold combo locks and loop it through all three zippers at once. <BR> <BR>It's safe enough to not have to wear it on your front (which looks very uncomfortable).

Old Jun 11th, 2001, 08:16 AM
Beth Anderson

backpacks are great because they distribute the weight better. <BR> <BR>yes, even a pound or two on one shoulder - which is easy if you are carrying a camera in addition to your stuff - all day - can start to hurt - or maybe I am just a wuss. <BR> <BR>one thing which always annoyed me though - if it is REALLY hot out - having a backpack slung over your back all day can get pretty hot. I'm not even talking about a big pack - just one big enough for day stuff - it can almost cover your whole back and it is kind of like wearing a partial vest or something... <BR> <BR>

Old Jun 11th, 2001, 02:11 PM
Christina

I like the bike messenger bag thing, I think that' trendy where I live, also. As for day packs, I have one I use sometimes which is totally unstructured nylon; I've seen others a little more substantial. However, you should easily be able to buy a daypack at any good sporting goods store, that's where I got mine. I'd guess any overall general discount store too, nowadays (eg, Target). I like the camera bag idea, also.

Old Jun 11th, 2001, 03:49 PM
Lisa

AAA carry a lightweight packpack which folds into its own pocket. It is great for a daypack as you don't have the extra weight of the material.

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 11:19 AM
chris

<BR>How about any comments on "Rick Steves" backpack ($100) vs. a Victorinox (the Swiss Army knife people) backpack ($300). <BR> <BR>I have seen the Victorinox backpack at the Rand McNallay store & it is light-weight, has rollers, and is made with some "special material" that supposedly makes it more difficult to be cut with a knife. (by a thief). But is it worth the extra $$. I presume it is more for hikers going into the mountains, but was considering it as our primary piece of luggage. <BR> <BR>Or would "Rick Steves" or one like it do just fine?? <BR> <BR>

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 11:22 AM
tlmorgan

Is there ever an issue with the backpack being pickpocketed?

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 11:25 AM
Capo

My girlfriend & I trade off carrying things like that in a simple black shoulder bag. <BR> <BR>Like Ed, I'm not sure that backpacks are "out" but if, as the name suggests, one carries it on their back, then, IMO, it's not as easy to keep one's eye on it.

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 11:32 AM
Beth Anderson

Christina, do you work at ICF Kaiser right there in Fairfax Circle area? That is fairly near my house, I walk/drive past it frequently.

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 11:50 AM
janice

Yes, backpacks do get pickpocketed. Well, what I've seen people trying in Chicago and New York is to cut the bottom of the bag and catch all the stuff that falls out in a shopping bag. I've seen it done on fanny packs too. People are pretty much oblivious to what's happening until we tackle the thief - they're usually stunned than it happened.... Never fails that I see it at least once every summer!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -