One month count down to Europe

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17th, 2009, 07:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1 month from today we go to Holland and Paris for 2 week vacation....
2 couples traveling together.

Our air, canal boat, Paris Apt's. Amsterdam apt., train, and museum/event tickets are all completely paid for in advance. We have strreamlined alot of our itinerary to make this trip slow and relaxing

DAY 1 SEPT 17 THURS - FLIGHT TO AMSTERDAM

DAY 2 SEPT. 18 FRI -ARRIVE AMSTERDAM * RENTAL CAR TO SNEEK*
ALL ABOARD THE CLIPPER (1)

DAY 3 SEPT 19 -SAT - DEPART SNEEK ON THE CLIPPER (2)

DAY 4 SEPT 20- SUN- ON BOARD CLIPPER (3)

DAY 5 SEPT 21 - MON- ON BOARD CLIPPER (4)

DAY 6 SEPT 22 - TUES- ON BOARD CLIPPER (5) * HAPPY 55th B DAY TO ME

DAY 7 SEPT. 23 - WED- ON BOARD CLIPPER (6)

DAY 8 SEPT. 24 - THURS- ON BOARD CLIPPER (7)

DAY 9 SEPT. 25-FRI- DISEMBARK CLIPPER* TAXI TO AMS * TRAIN TO PARIS*

DAY 10 SEPT. 26- SAT- PARIS *
RUE MOUFFETARD MARKET & LUXUMBORG GARDEN* PONT NEUF (AT NIGHT)

DAY 11 SEPT. 27 - SUN- PARIS * EIFFEL TOWER AND D’ORSAY MUSEUM
* NIGHT SEINE CRUISE

DAY 12 SEPT 28 - MON PARIS * (FRIENDS ARE GOING TO LE HAVRE )*
(WE ARE GOING TO NOTRE DAME* ST CHAPPELLE* MARAIS)

DAY 13 SEPT. 29 - TUES- MORNING TRAIN TO AMSTERDAM.
*JORDAAN * REDLIGHT* REMBRANDTPLEIN (AT NIGHT)

DAY 14 SEPT. 30 -WED- AMSTERDAM *ANNE FRANK HOUSE * FLOWER MARKET *
TORTURE MUSEUM * CANDLELIGHT CANAL CRUISE

DAY 15 OCT. 1 -THURS - AMSTERDAM (VAN GOGH MUSEUM AND ALBERT CUYP MARKET* T&D TO HEINEKIN TOUR *

DAY 16 OCT. 2 -FRI- AMSTERDAM * OUR LORD IN THE ATTIC CHURCH * ST NICS*
LEIDESPLEIN (AT NIGHT)

DAY 17 OCT. 3- SAT- *DEPART 10AMSTERDAM*

Who else only has less than a month and where are you going?
Old Aug 17th, 2009, 08:03 AM
Original Poster

SAT... THATS DEPART FROM AMSTERDAM TO USA
Old Aug 17th, 2009, 08:04 AM

Sounds a great trip. No Hermitage? I'd go there rather than the RLD any day

I have less than two weeks then I'm off to Ireland (County Cork) for a long weekend. We have flights booked, hire car booked, and last night hotel booked, but no other plans, just a wodge of dosh to spend there. All unexpected, and paid for my by husband's company to celebrate him working for them for 20 years.
I shall be on the lookout for a unique piece of jewellery to buy with my share of the dosh - he got the trip, I got money for some jewellery, which was unexpected and wonderful, even though I'm not really a jewellery person.
We're combining his 20th anniversary trip with our 34th wedding anniversary on this trip.
Oh and we're eating out the night before we travel at Kaatje bij de Sluis in Blokzijl, €35 a head as it is Restaurant Week. Our DIL works there so we are interested to try it. We wouldn't normally bother with a Michelin starred place. It means we get to see her just before her birthday too, even though she'll be working really hard that night.

Have a wonderful time!
Old Aug 17th, 2009, 08:12 AM

18 days before my departure to Italy-Lake Como, then Bernina Express to Chur. Then on to Wengen, back through Chur and Soglio before returning back to Lake Como to meet my son. We then go to Zermatt then Hallstatt, Franfurt-only 1 day for the Auto Show, then down to Munich for 3 days before flying back to Texas.
Old Aug 17th, 2009, 08:13 AM

Sounds wonderful, I'm jealous!

I trust you know that's a really bare-bones Paris itinerary and that you could see lots, lots, more, but it's fine if it assumes lots of strolling and café-sitting and people-watching.
Old Aug 17th, 2009, 10:38 AM

Wow! You really are organized as to what you're going to see and do. I'm going to Bath, London, and then Berlin for three days, Lübbenau for two, Quedlinburg for three, Dürnstein for two and Vienna for four or five days. However, I don't have things mapped out, except for a couple of tours I want to take, one at Bath, one at Bletchley Park, and one in Vienna.

I like to wander around, stopping for coffee and cake occasionally. I just like to look at things. I do want to see the Hundertwasser architecture in Vienna. I've been to most of these places at least once.

My trip starts on August 26 and ends on September 16.
Old Aug 17th, 2009, 02:08 PM

3 weeks til we leave for our 22 day Germany & Austria trip!

jetsetj, your trip sounds wonderful!
Old Aug 17th, 2009, 04:30 PM

My daughter and I took the same trip in May. The highlight in Amsterdam was Mikes Bike Tour www.mikesbiketours.com
In fact we liked it so much, we took Fat Tire Bike Tours in Paris.

DH and I leave in 6 weeks for Berlin and Prague with any and all small towns in between.
Old Aug 17th, 2009, 04:37 PM

bettyk

Are you returning to St. Gilgen? Thanks for the recommendation for Hotel Schernthaner. I loved it. I hope to return again next June. I am staying in Hallstatt in September, maybe a day trip to St. Gilgen.
Old Aug 17th, 2009, 07:52 PM

scatcat, YES we are going back to St. Gilgen and we also have a reservation at the Schernthaner. It's the only place on this trip that we have been to before.

Where are you staying in Hallstatt? When will you be there?
Old Aug 17th, 2009, 08:06 PM

My son and I will be staying at Hotel Simony. I stayed there last September and had a room with a balcony and I really liked it. The hotel is not as nice as Hotel Schernthaner, but it does have a certain charm about it. We will be there September 18-20. This will be my son's first time to Hallstatt. I think we might go to St. Gilgen or St. Wolfgang(Schafberg) on Saturday.
Old Aug 17th, 2009, 08:34 PM

I have stayed at the Simony before. Being right on the lake, it's good value for money. I remember they had a good breakfast.

Sounds like we will be in St. Gilgen at the same time you will be in Hallstatt. It's possible that our Austrian friends might drive from Vienna to meet us, so I'm not sure what our schedule will be. We've already done Schafberg but thought about going back to St. Wolfgang and maybe visiting Bad Ischl. We might pass each other on the lake!
Old Aug 18th, 2009, 05:03 AM
Original Poster

Het, yep looks like we forgot the Hermitage.
It is by the flowermarket. Time may allow for a visit.
Your trip to Ireland sounds wonderful.
We will all expect a picture of you with some MAJOR bling on. Enjoy and thanks again for all you do for folks on here.

Stcirq,
You are so right... we plan to sit at cafes and people watch, plus stroll aimlessly, looking in any stores we want.

thanks all others for their reply.
Old Aug 18th, 2009, 05:57 AM
Original Poster

We decided to ask how much it would cost to have a bike or 2 on board our canalboat, so I wrote to Le Boat to ask the price.

JESUS,MARY AND JOSEPH !!!

$63.00 PER BIKE PER WEEK!! FORGET THAT IDEA.....
Old Aug 18th, 2009, 10:02 AM
cw

Do you think that's a bad price? Seems good to me, only $6 per day. I've rented bikes that are half that cost for one day.
Old Aug 18th, 2009, 03:07 PM

We fly out on the 20th of September, for our UK/France trip. Paris hotel is booked, trains from London-Paris-Avignon-Calais booked. Just need to book the hire car for the UK and the London accommodation and we're pretty much ready!

CAN'T WAIT!
Old Aug 18th, 2009, 10:30 PM

I've already done my 3 week trip of the year through Britain and Ireland.

hetismij,
There is huge shop at Blarney Castle. Climb up, kiss the stone, and then go shopping.
Old Aug 18th, 2009, 10:42 PM

jetsetj,

In Amsterdam if you like the Rembrandtplein and Leidseplein I think you will like the Spui even more. Less touristy and more local. My favorite hangouts are the Hoppe bar and the Cafe Luxembourg. Dinner at the Luden just up the street.

Take a day trip to Haarlem to escape the bustle of Amsterdam and experience a real Dutch city. It's only 20 minutes by train. Tylers and Frans Hals museums. Windmill De Adriaan. Grote Kerk on the Grote Markt (town square). Lunch at the Brinkmann.
Old Aug 19th, 2009, 12:23 AM

Oooh it sounds lovely!! We live in Sydney and are going to Perth in October, for one week, to visit our daughter, but no trips to Europe this year.

When you go to the Pont Neuf don't forget about the Pont des Artes which I love at night time. Some nights there are lots of people having picnics on the bridge.
Old Sep 1st, 2009, 05:44 AM
Original Poster

Another milestone today !! it is Sept. and our trip is in sept. YAHOO !! Im ready to burst, im so excited.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -