Reload this Page >

One Meal in London

Search

One Meal in London

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20th, 2001, 04:10 AM
E. Mars

One Meal in London

We're going to be in one London one day. I'd appreciate recommendations for a really English ambience restaurant dinner. Price moderate or lower. <BR> <BR>Similarly, a good place to experience an English pub.

Old Apr 20th, 2001, 09:20 AM
Linda

Why don't you combine the two experiences and eat dinner in a pub. In my opinion, that's the best way to experience "really English ambience" and pub food is inexpensive and usually very good. Can't recommend one particular place, but do a search on "pubs" on this forum and you will find a number of suggestions.

Old Apr 21st, 2001, 06:53 AM
linda

E. Mars, Try the Grenadier in Belgravia or Windsor Castle in Kensington. The Grenadier takes reservations. Don't know if Windsor Castle does. <BR> <BR>Let us know what you decide, especially if it is different!

Old Apr 21st, 2001, 11:54 AM
sylvia

You might be interested in this website <BR>http://www.english-restaurants.com/english/ <BR> <BR>Traditional English restaurants in London

Old Apr 21st, 2001, 07:27 PM
JOdy

In My opinion,,,,most pub food, YECH and SMOKE All over the place and [pinball machines or whatever they call them now ..but if that's your choice hve fun. <BR>There are some good pubs but choose carefully. Check the good pub guide , National Trust has one near the Globe, or try the Cheshire Cheese, or another near the Tower, sorry can't remember the name

Old Apr 22nd, 2001, 07:30 AM
mary c

Try The Dickens Inn near St. Katharine's Dock next to the Tower Bridge (5-10 minutes walk from the Tower of London). JOdy, is this the pub you were thinking of? I went there on my trip last month and the food was very good. However, they only serve pub-style food (Shepherd's Pie, etc.) during the lunch hours. And the gentleman from India (maitre d'?) was very nice to me. We ended up having an hour-long conversation so that I missed going to Harrod's but it was worth it. <BR>Hope you have loads of fun! <BR>Mary C

Old Apr 22nd, 2001, 06:37 PM
Jody

MARY- <BR> <BR>Thanks Mary that was the pub I couldn't remember. I find the "freehouse " pubs can sometimes be really good , but the ones owned by chains, with the smoke and pinball machines leave something to be desired!!

Old Apr 23rd, 2001, 06:07 AM
carolyn

We enjoyed the food upstairs in the dining room of the Sherlock Holmes Pub, on Northumberland Street, I believe.

Old Apr 23rd, 2001, 06:12 AM
John

Just go to Picadilly Circus. Hundreds of restaurants to fit your fancy.