Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

One great restaurant in Provence-lunch or dinner?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15th, 2000, 04:55 PM
jeanne

We are going to be driving in Provence in June with friends. I want to make reservations at one great restaurant in Provence. I know a lot of you love that area-any suggestions? I am thinking of the Hotel l'Ostau de Baumaniere, which I am pretty sure of I heard about here. Any others? Also, all you foodies-what do you think-lunch or dinner?? I am also torn for these great meals, price is better at lunch but the dinner ambience can be better sometimes-any stories to share. <BR> <BR>Also, I would love any suggestions for just "regular" restaurants in either Grasse area or around Avignon-we haven't been to either area in a long time. <BR> <BR>thanks <BR> <BR>Jeanne

Old Apr 15th, 2000, 05:57 PM
Joan Doyle

Dear Jeanne: Your letter gives me another chance to boost what I will always think of as the BEST restaurant at which I ever ate: Hiely-Lucullus on the rue de la Republique (main drag) in Avignon. Reservations are a must. I liked dinner best--the restaurant is on the second floor of the building in which it is located. It's been a while since I last dined there but they still have their Michelin star. Enjoy! Joan

Old Apr 15th, 2000, 08:49 PM
lola

Loved Colombe'Dor in St. Paul de Vence. Umbrellas on the patio and Picasso originals on the walls (when he paid in paintings to stay). Do lunch.

Old Apr 16th, 2000, 11:06 PM
Joelle

The Oustau de Baumaniere is definitely a "must". One of the best places I have ever been to!

Old Apr 17th, 2000, 06:30 AM
Sheryl

Spend several days last Summer in Provence. Most fabulous dinner we had was at the Hostellerie Chateau Des Fines Roches. This is a vineyard and hotel right outside of Chateauneuf-du-Pape. Beautiful location, view and meal. This evening is was one of the highlights of our trip. Reservations a must as the dining room only has about 8 tables. Fax only no email at 04 90 83 70 42.

Old Apr 17th, 2000, 08:21 AM
jeanne

Thanks one and all! I will start to make reservations but I dont' know if I can only limit myself to one <BR> <BR>Jeanne

Old Apr 17th, 2000, 11:22 PM
Joelle

Regarding the Oustau de Baumaniere, I have been there for lunch and dinner. The place of course looks different at day time and night time. If the weather is good, you'll be able to enjoy lunch on the terrace. Quite a great experience.

Old Apr 18th, 2000, 12:16 AM
diane michlig

Dear Sheryll <BR>What does a dinner or lunch cost at the Hostellierie Chateau des Fines Roches? <BR>I guess I have to ask after talking to someone who told me that some dinners can run as much as $200 per person! <BR>I know if you have to ask you can't afford it.... thanks