One Great Day In London

Old Jan 14th, 2009, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

One Great Day In London

My 18 year old daughter and I will have one night and one day in London in February. We will need to be close to London St Pancras for travel the next morning, and, we cannot afford anything pricey....so, can anyone offer suggestions on what to do on our one day that is the "don't miss" tourist sight or activity, (we love to shop, see beautiful sights, would love to do a real "tea" and maybe eat fish n' chips?) and a place to stay (that is clean, nice, and safe as well as being reasonable price) for our one day? Thank you for your help!
Old Jan 14th, 2009, 09:42 AM

I can't be of real help, but look at the website LondonTown.com. Right now the site seems to be moving very slowly, but you can search for hotels using a map or tube stop (King's Cross).

They claim to have the lowest prices, although I suspect priceline could get you cheaper rates, but you might not end up in the same neighbourhood.

I am a fan of the British Museum which is very close to King's Cross.
For very upscale fashion shopping check out New and Old Bond Sts near the royal academy of the Arts. One really cool thing to look at is the Burlington Arcade which was the first arcaded shopping street in the city. It has beautiful expensive shops and the added bonus of the Ladure macaroon shop which is to die for. I see they have a tea shop in Harrods that you might like to check out. http://www.urbanpath.com/london/cafes/laduree.htm
Old Jan 14th, 2009, 09:47 AM

There's loads of cheap (well cheap for London) hotels around Kings Cross/St Pancras.

If you're staying there, then the fish and chips takes care of itself - North Sea FishBar in Leigh St.

Any idea what day of the week you'll be here as differnet things happen on different days?
Old Jan 14th, 2009, 09:52 AM

I was about to suggest Fortnum & Mason for tea because you could fit in some shopping as well, but I just looked up the cost, and they've doubled their price (now a 32GBP per person), so I'm going to give you this link instead, and maybe you can find something you link.

http://www.afternoontea.co.uk/index....id=17&Itemid=3

I enjoyed tea at the Goring Hotel, but it only makes sense if you are going to be in that neighborhood at tea time.

I also will add that the fancy hotel and famous teas are seldom worth the high price tag, and sometimes a cozy tea shop does just fine.

One thing you might consider doing is making up a list of indoor things for a day's worth of outings if the weather ain't great, and making up a list of outdoor venues if you luck out with (unseasoably) sunny warm-ish weather.

Either way, you're not going to run out of things to do.

Have a great time.
Old Jan 14th, 2009, 10:02 AM

Depending on where you're from, I'd suggest a stroll through the food halls at Harrod's (but if you're from New York or San Francisco, or Berlin for that matter, I wouldn't bother, since you've probably seen others equally fine). Knightsbridge (around Harrod's) is a good stroll, too, especially for "shoppers".
Old Feb 12th, 2009, 07:38 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your suggestions! We are going to stay a the Amsterdam and do the tea and shopping around Harrods (we are from a small town and will enjoy the big city shopping!), see the British Museum and then tube to see Wicked before we leave for St. Pancreas to train to Paris. Again, thank you for your help!