Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

One full day and evening in Amsterdam, need help

Old Apr 28th, 2007, 05:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We (my 19 year old son and mom 51) are staying just outside of Amsterdam and taking the train into the city early on a Saturday. I know I want to go to the Anne Frank Museum, Madame Tussaud's, take a canal cruise and have the "rice table" at an Indo restaurant. (I'm sure my son would like to check out the red light district, but I'm not to sure about that ) Then we will board a train back to our hotel somewhere around 22:00.

Here are my questions:
Where is the best place to take the canal cruise from and to and which one is the best?

Need recommendations for good and inexpensive Indo Restaurant (if possible)? And place for lunch.

Want to just spend the rest of the time and see the sites.....where should we go? Want to get a good feel of the area. Thank you.
Old Apr 28th, 2007, 05:54 PM

When you step out of Centraal Station, you will see signs for the canal cruises. I imagine they pretty much follow the same itinerary...Then I would try the Anne Frank house and some lunch. I think Tussaud's is on the Dam Square. From there, I'd go to Leidseplein area, Vondelpark... Sama Sebo is a well-known Indonesian restaurant, located roughly between Leidseplein and Museumplein. Your son at 19 is probably worldly enough to take a walk thru the RLD - I don't recall seeing any nude women - they're dressed in lingerie but are right 'there' in the windows, face to face with you. There will be plenty of other tourists trying to be nonchalant so you won't be alone.
Old Apr 28th, 2007, 08:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks travelnut. That's exactly what I was looking for. Just hoping for nice weather. (Re: RLD) No doubt after 2 years in college, my ds is definately worldly enough. We're going to play that one by ear. LOL
Old Apr 29th, 2007, 07:43 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
The part of the city I enjoyed most was walking around the Leidseplein square area, and Vondelpark if the weather is nice. I saw some terrific street performers once night at Leidseplein (fire jugglers dancers, very edgy and fun).

The RLD is interesting to walk thru. I went alone one afternoon, did not see anything terribly risque. More unique cultural phenomena how that district works. It felt mostly old and historic.
Old Apr 29th, 2007, 09:41 AM
Original Poster

suze
Thank you for your suggestions. It sounds like we would really enjoy that. You both have been so helpful. Wish we had more time.

Old May 3rd, 2007, 11:20 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
owinsmom,

Did I read correctly?

You have a 19 year old son and a 51 year old mom?

Or, is your son 19 and you are 51?

Just curious.
Old May 3rd, 2007, 11:26 AM

go on online and get your Anne Frank House ticket now. No waiting in line.

www.annefrankhuis.nl
Old May 3rd, 2007, 11:56 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Anne Frank House is open until 9 every night...we walked up at 6:30 and had no line at all and it was almost empty inside when we were there 2 weeks ago. We then had dinner in the Jordaan area after our visit.

But we also took a canal ride as the sun was setting and that was quite nice as well. You're spoiled for choice!
Old May 3rd, 2007, 03:37 PM
Original Poster

Myer- LOL, Well let's see, my mom was 16 when she had me, and I was 16 when......no, no, no - the 2nd one was correct!!! I am 51 and my son is 19!!! Sorry for the confusion, but it did provide me with a chuckle.

I have been trying to decide on buying the tickets ahead of time for both Anne Frank and Madame Trassauds. If you just walked in at 6:30, maybe I will just wait. I hate to have to be pinned down to a specific time. I was planning on about that time anyway and then do the canal cruise after. Maybe Madame's earlier in the day. All of course will depend on the weather. Did you like were you ate in Jordaan? If so, what was it? Still looking for suggestions of someplace good and inexpensive.
Old May 3rd, 2007, 04:07 PM

For a good inexpensive meal, we ate at "The Pancake Bakery." (www.pancake.nl)
It is close to the Anne Frank House, so we toured the house late in the afternoon, and then ate an early dinner there.

It isn't fancy or haute cuisine, but it was fun, affordable, and in the area. The pancakes were tasty, too!

Annette
Old May 5th, 2007, 04:27 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Annette hit it on the head, we ate at the Pancake Bakery in the Jordaan. But there are several other really nice looking places on the other side of the canal as well. The pancakes were tasty and the cherry jenever (Dutch gin) was heavenly!

The canal ride we took was the last departure of the day at 7 p.m. from in front of the Hard Rock Cafe in Leidseplein. I'm not sure if any other boat lines run later than that, but that was a couple weeks ago, so maybe they run later in the summer.
Old May 5th, 2007, 04:51 PM
Original Poster

Thank you both for your suggestions. THe menu looks very fun! Can't say that I have ever had gin with pancakes , but that is definately on my list of things to try. Getting so excited.