Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > One day trip to Normandy Beaches from Paris

One day trip to Normandy Beaches from Paris

Apr 29th, 2011, 06:43 PM
Original Poster

One day trip to Normandy Beaches from Paris

.My wife and I have one day to visit the D Day beaches from Paris. Our question is -- do we take a tour from Paris with a company such as Paris Vision, Normandy D Day or Cityrama, or do it ourselves, taking the train to Bayeux and then finding a tour operator there? The tours from Paris run from $250-340/person.

Does anyone have a recommendation as to which would be a better experience, taking into account that we want to start and finish in Paris in one day?
Apr 30th, 2011, 08:51 AM

If you are comfortable driving in Europe and ready for a long day, do your homework and drive. You will see and get more done with a tour howeve, it just won't seem quite as special.
Apr 30th, 2011, 10:38 AM

My husband and I did a one day trip a few years ago through one of the tour companies and it was the highlight of our trip! I don't remember which company we used.
We paid about 100 euros each (that was about 4 or 5 years ago.
We were on a van with only about 7 other people (all Americans) and driver spoke excellent English.
Apr 30th, 2011, 02:40 PM
jgg

We did a one day tour from Paris with Paris-trip.com and I have to agree that it was the highlight of our trip. I looked into taking a train and getting a tour from there, but there were some logistical issues with getting a train so early, etc. It is a bit expensive, but completely worth it.
Apr 30th, 2011, 03:25 PM

If you check out the cost of renting a car for just one day, you'll ignore Jeff-Portnoy's advice - it's generally the same as renting one for 3 days, and once you add gas and tolls (if applicable - would have to check the routes), you'd be paying as much as for a guided tour or more. I would probably opt for a guided tour, if it included the Mémorial in Caen, or taking the train to Caen and hooking up with a day-long tour there (I believe the Mémorial museum does them, but not positive).
Apr 30th, 2011, 04:20 PM

I haven't done it but look up Battlebus tours. They are supposed to be very good for the Normandy Beaches and originate in Paris. I learned about them off of this website. Let me know what you find out. We are interested in doing the same thing late Sept.
Apr 30th, 2011, 05:57 PM

Paris-trip..............that was who we went through!
Aug 14th, 2011, 04:55 AM

We are looking to do the exact same thing (with our 2 teenagers) one day next week and the advice we got from friends in Paris was, whether we used a tour company or did a self-tour, that the train was much faster to get to Normandy than a tour bus (2.5 hours each way vs over 4). So our plan is to either take the train ourselves and hook up with a tour in Normandy that originates and returns to the train station or to book a tour that includes the train fare from Paris to Normandy and back. Any comments or experience with this?
Aug 14th, 2011, 05:35 AM

We looked into doing this semi on our own two years' ago, train to Caen then hooking up with one of the half-day tours to the beaches run by the Memorial Museum in Caen, www.memorial-caen.fr

We ran out of time and as I had already seen the museum, which is excellent, beaches and US cemetery, husband decided to go another time. I highly recommend the museum, well everything is, of course, fascinating and/or moving.

This would make for a long-ish day but no longer than by coach and I expect the lowest cost option.
Aug 14th, 2011, 06:35 AM

Istamu - Your information about Battlebus is incorrect. Battlebus used to run tours that originated in Bayeux, but they went out of business last November.

Search this Thread