Notices

One day trip outside Dublin

Old Aug 4th, 2000, 06:48 AM
Tom

One day trip outside Dublin

I am flying in one day in advance of a 4 day corporate event in Dublin. I am looking for a good overnight trip outside the city (we want to see something other than Dublin). We will be landing at 6am on Tuesday and have to be back at our hotel in Dublin by 7 or 8 pm Wednesday. Any suggestions?

Old Aug 4th, 2000, 09:25 AM
Cathy

Tom,
First things first - some questions
What are you interested in ?
Has the corporate event anything organised for - so as not to overlap or duplicate your private arrangements ?
Will you renting a car or are you planning to use public transportion.

You could go to Belfast for the day, visit anyone of the other cities in Ireland - Galway is very popular with visitors, Cork and Kilkenny are also worth considering - more so than Galway in my opinion.

History wise you could do the Boyne Valley Tour - see Newgrange passage graves (or LoughCrew graves), Kells, the Hill of Tara, Trim Castle and Butterstream Gardens and/or Slane. This is within 1 or 2 hrs of Dublin and would involve you having to rent a car.

Scenerywise you have the option of seeing the Wicklow Mts - not too much of a journey from Dublin, spend the night in any number of hotels or B&Bs in the Mts (can recommend soe if you are interested). Alternatively you could travel to Kerry to see the Ring of Kerry - a long drive and public transport is no an option as there is an unofficial train strike at the moment - a flight down and back might be the best way to get to Kerry. Otherwise get off the plane in Shannon and hire a car, stop at Bunratty and then drive up to the Cliffs of Moher, head to Dublin via Athlone (to Clonmacnoise) or Cashel (to see the Rock) the next day. Finally there is Connemara - once again I would recommend flying into Galway (also possible to drive down) and staying inthe Ashford/Cong area. Hope these help, Have a good time. Post if you have any more questions,

Cathy

Old Aug 4th, 2000, 11:31 AM
Rick

The Wicklow Mountains are absolutely beautiful, and have great marked hiking trails (just avoid White Mountain if the day's overcast--I learned the hard way). If you're not a nature boy, head for Kilkenny. It's a fun town that's great for a short stay.

Ordinarily, I'd suggest going up to Belfast, but although it's not all that far in mileage, it's a good 2-2.5 hour drive that can be as tiring as a 6-8 hour drive here. Also, this time of year isn't the best time to see Belfast.

Old Aug 12th, 2000, 03:11 AM
adrienne

Tom

Don't know what your interests are but would recommend the following:

a. Daytrip to Belfast - you can take the train - journey takes approx 2 hours and it is very "doable" in a day - times suit. Perhaps investigate taking a black taxi tour of the city - they come recommended. Remember you need Sterling in Belfast. There is an unofficial train dispute in Ireland so just double check Belfast train is running.

b. If you like scenery would recommend Wicklow. There are several possibilities. Take the DART to Bray (a seaside town outside Dublin) - for best views sit on LH side ex-Dublin. You can then do a 3 mile cliff walk to Greystones with lovely sea views and then take public transport back to Bray and/or Dun Laoghaire (a port town outside Dublin with nice pier) or Dublin.

c. Try going to Glendalough - you can either take a private tour ... or take St Kevin's Bus from Dublin City Centre (College of Surgeons at St Stephen's Green). Plan B would be to take DART to Bray spend a little time there and then pick up the St Kevin's Bus from Bray. Again it is a day trip - fare approx £10. Have you ever watched Ballykissangel on TV - well bus goes right through this beautiful scenery. Alternatively you could hire a car for the day and drive yourself - take Military Road, which goes through beautiful scenery and lots of walking opportunities. Alternatively there are backpacking tours which take this route but I don't have any details about them.

Would highly recommend a private tour to Newgrange/Knowth (old Celtic site). Make sure that your tour allows you to enter the sites and not just view from outside.

Another interesting place to visit is Kilkenny City - again a day trip by train and spend some time at Kilkenny Castle. There is a brillant arts festival on at present, which would make a very pleasant day out.

If you are in Dublin collect free newspaper Dublin Event Guide available form most hotel lobbies. It is a very comprehensive list of what's on in Dublin.

Are you coming from USA? If yes, personally would not drive to Galway after getting off a transatlantic flight as I would be too tired and jetlagged to enjoy journey. Dublin traffic is a nightmare at peak hours.

If you very any questions just ctc me.
Happy travels!!!
Adrienne

Old Aug 12th, 2000, 07:41 AM
Cathy

Tom,
Adrienne's advice is great but just be warned there is an unofficial train strike on in Ireland at the moment and there are lightening strikes hitting bus and DART services too - these occur once or twice a week in different cities - check out www.cie.ie and Irish Rail for further infor

Cathy

Old Aug 12th, 2000, 09:00 PM
arjay

Adrienne: Your comment re BallyK - we are HUGE fans, and so far as I can determine, in the U.S., it is shown only on Wisconsin Public TV and....the Detroit area, maybe? Canvassing friends/family in Colorado, Florida, Tenn - no one's ever heard of it. (In fact the only people I know who see it live in Vancouver BC and the UK) So just wondered at your general location, if you're willing to say?
Did you know it's filmed in Avoca? Great, great show...makes us want to trek back to Ireland every time we watch. (There, now this qualifies as a "travel" post...lol)

Old Aug 13th, 2000, 08:42 AM
cecelia

i live in illinoes and we get ballykissangel on pbs station. have been to ireland but not the wicklow mtns. would like to go there. when i was in ireland i found a ballyk cookbook so kool so look for that while you are there. happy travels

Old Aug 13th, 2000, 02:14 PM
wjw

if you are coming to ireland and have only one free day do not put yourself
to the ordeal our roads and public transport systems currently represent. the wicklow trip is a good option , as is the boyne , but my advice is do not travel any further. why not stay put in dublin -It is a great walking (and pub town ). With a days start you could really impress your corporate friends with your local knowledge on the inevitable evening rambles which are a must for any visit to dublin.