One day in Rome - suggestions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28th, 2008, 06:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I (late 40s, walking no probs) have one day in Rome as a port call on our cruise, and are planning to take the train in. We have been to Rome before, so have seen the major sights - Colosseum, Trevi Fountain, St Peters, Vatican etc.
What suggestions do knowledgeable Fodorites have please for what to do instead?
(I'm posting this here, not in cruise talk, as no one really seems to use those boards) thanks
Melanie in Sydney
Old Jun 28th, 2008, 06:34 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
The Borghese, Capitoline and S'Angelo. There's also the catacombs.
Old Jun 28th, 2008, 06:55 PM

depends on your interest and what you have seen already seen

Terme de Caracala

Quartier de Coppede

Palazzo Doria - Pamphilj

Trastevere

Old Jun 28th, 2008, 07:38 PM

How many hours do you actually have in Rome in your one day stop? That will make a difference in suggestions.
Old Jun 28th, 2008, 09:38 PM
Original Poster

Ship arrives 7am, departs 21:00, so realistically about 6 or 7 hours I guess...
Old Jun 28th, 2008, 10:45 PM

Hi Mel1,
Agree about Borghese but am almost certain that you have to get a reservation. Can't remember if you can do that online in advance.
If you like Bernini, try church called Santa Maria de la Vittoria (spelling??)-it has amazing statuary!
Or how about Pantheon and Piazza Navona?
Old Jun 29th, 2008, 12:14 AM
Original Poster

thanks
the Borghese and catacombs are things we haven't seen before... appreciate the suggestions and the tip about booking
Old Jun 29th, 2008, 04:09 AM

It is hard to tell what is included in your "etc" of the "major sights" so I may be mentioning things you have already seen

If you didn't explore the Palatine on your earlier trip and are interested in ancient Roman monuments I would recommend that. The catacombs seem a little far out of the central city for the amount of time you have.
There are of course many beautiful churches throughout Rome

The Villa Farnesina is on my list of places to visit during our next trip to Rome. You could combine this with the the view from the top of the Janiculum, the Botanical gardens and Trastevere

Old Jun 29th, 2008, 05:35 AM

I second the Borghese and I believe you can get reservations online. It is truly amazing.
Old Jun 29th, 2008, 06:38 AM

Hi mel,

Highly recommend the Borghese and you can make your reservations on line. Others if you haven't already visited:

Pantheon & Santa Maria Sopra Minerva (right next to Pantheon with a Michelangelo)

Castello Sant'angelo

Piazza Navona

Buon viaggio!
Old Jun 29th, 2008, 06:50 AM

What to visit is very personal , having such a short time in Rome i would NEVER spend a minute inside a catacomb, I would instead walk along lovely places like Via Julia , Piazza Navona ... Galleria Borghese , YEs , I would go there, then I would walk , sit in cafe near the Pantheon and enjoy a cappuccino, or find one of those beautiful terraces facing the Forum and have a gelatto, and go up Capitoline Hill. But as I say each person has a special way of doing things, I would also include a short visit to St Peter if it means something to me. In my case it does but this is even more personal. Have a nice time.
along the way I would have good food for lunch.
Old Jun 29th, 2008, 08:05 AM

Sorry Via Gulia, is with a G...
a leisure walk through Via Gulia is a real Roman Experience

During the Christmas time is extraordinary but it lovely at any time, and end up in Campo di Fiori.

Regarding my suggestion of coffee near the PANTHEON
I was thinking of Tazza d'Oro Caffe in via delgio ORfarri, great coffee there, and of course a visit to the Pantheon would be in order, and it is free too.
For the gelatto or whatever having a great view of the Forum try the Terrace Restaurant at the HOtel Forum

Old Jun 29th, 2008, 08:07 AM

Hi Mel it is me again, after your trip Could you tell us what did you do after all and how did you fare.
Old Jun 29th, 2008, 10:25 AM

As usual, I'm in total agreement with Graciela's suggestions.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but to me the catacombs were a big let down. I have been several times in Rome since I visited them and never been tempted to go back there. OTOH, I never tire of St Peter's Basilica.

Another nice place to visit is Campo D'Fiori , especially if you get there while the market is going on.
Old Jun 29th, 2008, 06:35 PM
Original Poster

You have all been great, thank you.I will now take your suggestions and do a bit of research before deciding, but I have a feeling the Borghese is leading at this point, with a lovely long lunch people watching and strolling (weather permitting, of course). And sure Graciela, I will post on my return (mid-Nov).
regards
Melanie
Old Jun 29th, 2008, 06:53 PM

I take your word Mel , I always wonder if what I suggest is of any value to those who might follow it. ;-)

I also agree often with Cruiseluv , I have learnt a lot from her advise. May be you find useful to get a copy of City Secrets Rome, for one day may be it is too much information , but usually I find it very helpful.
BTW last year we visited and enjoyed Villa Farnesina , and in this regard I would recommend the same little book to vttraveler,....or maybe he already has it....
But for one day visit I would not include it in my itinerary.
Old Jun 30th, 2008, 03:17 AM

Graziella--thanks for the book recommendation. I will check it out before our next trip to Rome.

I actually agree with you about how I would spend one day in Rome--the Piazza Navona and Piazza della Rotunda would be my primary destinations and I would probably do a long walk through the central city, including the ghetto neighborhood where we rented an apartment during a vacation in Rome last year. I would also plan to visit some of the churches along the way. I have a special goal of seeing the interior of Borromini's Sant'Ivo alla Sapienza which has very limited hours

I suggested Villa Farnesina because the OP was asking for suggestions "instead" of the "major sights" and a visit there could be incorporated into a walk on the Janiculum and into Trastevere.
Old Jun 30th, 2008, 02:37 PM

You are welcome Vt traveler, I enjoy this little book a lot and I can tell you that you will love it,

" The world's foremost artists, writers, architects, archaeologists and historians reveal their favorite discoveries" ( words in its cover)

...I do not know if indeed they are the
"foremost" but in general it is good advice.
I have never been in St Ivo,but is highly recommended with quotes of several architects, Robert Campbell says,
Not a popular icon and not open all the time but my favorite building in Rome and I guess that is a lot to say.
Thank you for pointing it out I cannot imagine why I missed being so close to Piazza Navona.
Bon viaggio.
Old Jun 30th, 2008, 03:09 PM

How about Ostia Antica for the day?