Reload this Page >

One day in Paris, HELP!

Search

One day in Paris, HELP!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19th, 2002, 07:49 AM
George Young

One day in Paris, HELP!

I've only got one day (from 8am to 8pm) to visit Paris with my wife. Don't scream, I know it is not long enough! We are starting and ending the day at Gare de Lyon. We are young and physically fit so we plan to walk a bunch. I thought we would get over to the Arc de Triomphe first and work our way back. We could hit the Eiffel Tower, Champs Elysees, Notre Dame, Sacre Coure all on the way back to the train station (I know we don't have time to go into any of them). Am I on drugs for thinking we can do this on foot?<BR><BR>I was hoping I could find a boat that would take us one way from the region of Gare de Lyon to the Eiffel Tower but I understand the boat taxi doesn't start until April and we go in Feb. Any of the tour companies let people on and off at different locations?<BR><BR>Here are my questions:<BR>1. Where should we eat breakfast? Somewhere near Gare de Lyon would be appreciated.<BR><BR>2. Where can we eat dinner around 5pm so we can be at the train by 8pm?<BR><BR>3. We stop back through Paris on the way home for 4 hours. I need to get from Gare de Lyon to Charles De Gaulle. How long does the train ride take from downtown to the airport?<BR><BR>4. Where should I eat breakfast on our way out of town?<BR><BR>

Old Feb 19th, 2002, 08:11 AM
Donna

Hello, George! I don't know how much help I will be, but I will certainly try my best. My first recommendation to you is to get back to Paris as soon as you can for an extended stay because you will love it. That being said, here goes. Please note that there will probably be some on this board who will disagree with my thinking on this matter. I was in Paris this past June and if I remember correctly, going from the Arc de Triomphe/Champs-Elysses area over to the Eiffel Tower was an easy walk across the river. We stayed near Les Invalides and crossed the river quite frequently to the Arc while we were there and it was no problem. Walking over to Notre Dame from the Tower is also quite doable. The only sight that might be iffy is Sacre Coeur. Just see how your time goes and take the Metro over there if you think you will have time. Taking the Metro to each of these stops will certainly make is quicker. I may be wrong, but I think you can probably do it. Feel free to e-mail me directly if you have any questions.

Old Feb 19th, 2002, 09:07 AM
Patricia

Hi George,<BR><BR>I was in Paris for a couple of days almost 2 years ago, but I fell in love with the city and thought that I could help you. <BR>You can definitely get a lot done in one day if you plan the day correctly (don't overplan either). <BR>My first piece of advice is to make sure you use the Metro. It will take you from place to place very quickly. I would take the train from la Garre de Lyon to L'Arc de Triomphe. From there, you can walk down Champs Elysee, past the beautiful boutiques, across Place de la Concorde, through la Tuilleries ( don't know if I spelled that correctly) all the way to the Louvre where you can see the glass pyramids. Then I would either walk over the Seine (there are many bridges to choose from) to La Tour Eiffel. From the tower, I would hope on the metro and go visit Notre Dame. Be sure to check out the front, back, inside and bell tower (Quazimoto's home) while you are there (time permitting). <BR>As to your questions regarding where to eat, don't overplan that. Just go with the flow. There are number of patisseries, boulangeries, and other delectable stores wherever you go (just walk off the main roads and you'll find some great places). The only place that I remember eating an amazing (out of this world) pastry is at Laduree patisserie (wow, I will never forget the name or the way that pastry tasted). You will find this pastry shop right near Place de La Concorde (if you walk towards Maxim's restaurant the pastry shop is right in front). <BR>Have a great trip, and good luck!<BR>

Old Feb 19th, 2002, 09:16 AM
BTilke

George, better one day than none! I often go down to Paris for the day. First of all, you have more time than you think--you can pack a lot into 12 hours!. You certainly have enough time to go into Notre Dame. I can't recommend breakfast spots, but look around for a nice boulangerie/patisserie that also serves coffee and have a couple of croissants and a cafe creme or espresso (too strong for me, but...). Based on your starting point, the Gare de Lyon head first for the Ile St. Louis, walk down that, approaching Notre Dame from the back. Go inside!! From there, head through the Latin Quarter over to the Luxembourg Gardens. Walk or catch a metro over to the Musee d'Orsay. If there's no line, go ahead inside, you can still spend 45 minutes in there and see some of the highlights. It will be lunch time by then, have a buffet lunch in the museum's restaurant (not the cafe) if it's open. Quick, good, inexpensive. After lunch, cross over to the Right Bank, to the Louvre/Tuileries area. Then head up toward the Champs Elysees and Arc de Triomphe, either by metro (number 1 line) or walking if your feet are up to it. After seeing those, take the #8 metro line to Les Invalides. Walk through the esplanade and for a pick me up, have a pot of tea or drink at the lovely Cafe de l'Esplanade (on the corner of Place des Invalides and rue Fabert). Then head down the rue de Grenelle through the 7th to the Eiffel Tower. Walk around the Champ de Mars, then stroll over to the rue Cler. That should be about 5-6 pm, time for you to eat at the Cafe du Marche on the corner of rue Cler and rue du Champ de Mars (open all day, people eating at all hours, you won't feel weird)*. If you eat at 5:30 pm, you'll be done by 7 pm, walk down the rue Cler to the Ecole Militaire metro stop (a few steps to your right after the Post Office at the end of rue Cler). Take the metro (direction Creteil) to Concorde (3 stops), change to the number 1 line (direction Vincennes) and it will go right to the Gare de Lyon.<BR>This is just a suggested itinerary--others will have their own suggestions. I would skip Sacre Coeur--it's too far out of the way and the area is a bit run down. If you decide to skip the Musee d'Orsay, then head over to the Place des Vosges and Marais area after Notre Dame and before the Luxembourg Gardens (or vice versa, it's your day!). Have a wonderful time, bring an umbrella and camera, and don't worry...Paris will still be waiting when you come back for a longer stay.<BR>* I'm pretty sure you can eat at the Cafe du Marche around 5:30 pm--someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Old Feb 19th, 2002, 09:34 AM
Gretchen

Skip Sacre Coeur and Champs Elysees. Grab a croissant and coffee in the Gare. BUT when you return at dinnertime or before your train, go to the station's formal and wonderful Belle Epoque room, Le Train Bleu. I would not eat there but at least have a glass of wine in the lounge and see this amazing room. If you are going to eat at 5PM it will need to be a brasserie or cafe--restaurants won't be serving yet. There are numerous ones facing the station. <BR>You might spend an hour on the Bateaux Mouches for a river view of Paris.<BR>Go to the top floor of Samarataine for the panoramic view of Paris.<BR>Take one of the hop on hop off tour buses--L'Opentour. You would get an overview of the city;you can get off and wander around the Eiffel Tower grounds for example and then get on the next one. To start that process you could take the Metro to Arc de Triomphe and start from there. If you just stay on the bus it is about 1 hour. Go to the RATP website for information on where all it stops. There is a separate tour that goes up to Montmartre but I don't think it is worth it on your time schedule.<BR><BR>

Old Feb 19th, 2002, 09:58 AM
Sue

You might want to consider L'Open Tour hop-on hop-off bus. (24 E) Since you could buy your ticket on any bus, you could walk to Notre Dame from Gare de Lyon and catch it there, walk when you want and bus when you want to save time.<BR><BR>http://www.paris-opentour.com/index_eng.htm

Old Feb 19th, 2002, 10:09 AM
Betsy

George, BTilke has given you a well-thought out, very doable itinerary. I'd print it out and follow it as closely as you can. No problem eating at the Cafe du Marche at 5:30. Just be sure to have the creme brulee for dessert.<BR><BR>Bon voyage et bon appetit

Old Feb 19th, 2002, 10:16 AM
Christina

I agree that you should eat at Le Train Bleu, use the L'Opentour hop-on, hop-off bus (info is on www.parisvisite.tm.fr and www.ratp.fr, I believe). If you look at a map, you'll see Sacre Coeur is not on that main route you've described, although it is a stop on that bus and if you have time, you might go. I myself would never use part of one day in Paris to go to rue Cler.

Old Feb 19th, 2002, 11:03 AM
BTilke

Christina, if they eat at Le Train Bleu it will have to be a VERY quick meal--three different guide books say its dinner hours are 7 to 10 pm. And since they're leaving at 8 pm, a quick rushed meal doesn't seem the best way to enjoy the place. Better to eat early elsewhere and have a last drink there before heading out. It's also open for lunch, but that would mean back tracking from somewhere else in town.<BR>Sorry you don't like the Rue Cler, but I would hope they would visit the Eiffel Tower and the Cafe du Marche is about the closest place where they could eat well and comfortably at 5:30 pm. <BR>I often catch the 8:55 pm train back to Brussels and as a result have to eat dinner fairly early. Many restaurants are open by 6:30 pm, but I don't like to be the only one having dinner, surrounded by a sea of empty tables or people just having a drink. At the Cafe du Marche they can eat fresh, well prepared food and eat early without feeling out of place.

Old Feb 19th, 2002, 11:31 AM
Sue

Le Train Bleu doesn't open for dinner till 7:00, but perhaps the bar area, which supposedly serves food, has more lenient hours.

Old Feb 19th, 2002, 12:30 PM
Gretchen

Suggest only a drink--have heard the food is not really that special for the price.

Old Feb 19th, 2002, 12:42 PM
George Young

Thanks everyone for all the ideas! It is very helpful. We leave on Friday so I'm majorly stressed...<BR><BR>George

Old Feb 19th, 2002, 12:58 PM
elvira

Gare de Lyon is in a very busy neighborhood, so finding a cafe for breakfast will be no problem.<BR><BR>I like BTilke's itinerary, but the lines for the Musee d'Orsay are 90 mins (I went Tuesday about 1:00, so I sort of asked for it) and it's closed on Mondays, so keep that in mind. Even having a museum pass wouldn't do any good.<BR><BR>There's a l'Opentour route that starts at Gare de Lyon (first bus 9:25), Viaduc des Artistes, goes through Bercy (the park's pretty cool) and the Bastille, through the Marais, to Notre Dame - and you can then hook up with the classic route that hits the other biggies. At the Madeleine, you can join the Montmartre route if you want to see Sacre Coeur. You can hop on/off at your leisure, see what you want, plus get a great overview of the city.<BR>http://www.paris-opentour.com/index_eng.htm<BR><BR>February can be nasty weather in Paris: cold, rainy, sleety, windy - some or all of the former. Walking can be gross and miserable; take the bus (you might luck out and hit a warm, sunny February day that would be perfect for walking, but don't count on it).<BR><BR>Remember that the city museums (i.e. Musee d'Orsay) are closed on Mondays and the national museums (i.e. the Louvre) are closed on Tuesdays. Churches are free and worth visiting for the architecture and sometimes-odd history of the church or parish.<BR><BR>Meals take forever, so unless you really want to spend 2 hours at lunch and 2 hours at dinner, skip the restaurants and go for the cafes for "fast food". Even faster is grabbing a sandwich from a shop (boulangeries often have a selection) and eating while moving.<BR><BR>The l'Opentours take you to some better places (like the Pantheon) than the Champs Elysees.<BR><BR>

Old Feb 19th, 2002, 09:50 PM
Sue

Elvira, if you a an OpenTour day pass, can you use it on all the lines?

Old Feb 20th, 2002, 01:59 AM
Chris

Here's the one day tour I took everyone on:<BR><BR>Metro from Gare de Lyon to one of the Notre Dame stops. Go to the top. It's a "must". One person holds a place in line for the top, the other goes into the church. It's not as nice to see it by yourself, but you'll save A LOT of time this way (they allow 20 people up the steps every 20 min or so -- makes for a long wait). <BR><BR>Walk to St. Chappelle and see the windows. <BR><BR>Walk to the Louvre and run in (almost literally) to see the Mona Lisa, Nike, and Venus de Milo. Hey, you're there, why not.<BR><BR>Metro to George V (?) on Champs Elysses. The Champs itself is American/British retail at it's consumer-friendly best (Virgin, the Gap, etc.), so you're not missing much by taking the metro most of the way up. The Arc is right there. Due to time constraints, I'd skip going to the top or over to the Arc. It's just as nice from a distance. And if you can get out into the street (there is a little "median") for a photo, all the better.<BR><BR>Then shoot over to the Eiffel Tower (I always take the metro). The lines during the day can be hours long. It's your call whether or not you have time to go up. I know I'm in the minority, but I wouldn't go up in the daylight -- nothing really makes me think "Paris" when I'm looking over the city.<BR><BR>I agree with BTilke -- I really think Sacre Cour is out of range for a day trip (unless you cut out the Eiffel Tower -- which is really impressive close up). <BR><BR>Depending on time, you could walk over to Les Invalides to see Napoleon's tomb and from there the Rodin museum is a short walk (the Thinker). <BR><BR>You might want to think about a museum pass -- saves time in the lines for the Louvre, Rodin, Les Invalides, etc. <BR><BR>In your travels, if you see a Yves Rocher, stop off and buy some foot spray (your dogs will be barking). <BR><BR>Have fun!<BR><BR>And yes, I know I didn't mention the Musee d'Orsay. I'll be stoned for saying this, but I wasn't really impressed.

Old Feb 20th, 2002, 06:21 AM
Amy

If you're going to be near Notre Dame, you'd be wise to go to St. Chappelle. I would skip Sacre Coeur myself as well. And I definitely favor Musee D'Orsay over the Louvre. I would head directly to the Impressionists upstairs, where you can see some Rodin on the way up or downstairs. I think you could see the highlights of that museum in about an hour, hour and a half. I don't think you should try walking to Eiffel Tower though. I'd take the metro and get a rest on the way. Or if your heart is not set on going up the Eiffel Tower, take a Seine boat ride which will take you by it and you can snack and relax while you're taking it all in.