One day in Paris

Old May 10th, 2001, 11:55 AM
Russell

One day in Paris

My wife and I are going to London for a week and plan to take the train to Paris for one day while we are there. What should we do/see during our one day there? We've never been to London or Paris before, so all suggestions are helpful. Thanks.

Old May 10th, 2001, 12:21 PM
Fifi

Find someone to "strong arm" you back on the train at the end of the day...you will not want to leave.If you have only one day, maybe the bus tour where you can hop on and off where you wish would be the simplest thing to do. Be sure to include a fabulous lunch at a wonderful bistro (check previous posts for recommendations)and stroll the small streets of the left bank for a short time. I'd stay away from Rue de Rivoli and all that jazz!

Old May 10th, 2001, 12:23 PM
Christine

I have only been to Paris once before ('91), but will visit again this summer. I recommend setting up a tour before you leave London. If not, visit Eiffel Tower, stroll the Champs-Elysee, and absolutely hit a sidewalk cafe and just people watch. Enjoy!!

Old May 10th, 2001, 12:35 PM
Lori

Having spent many vacations in both cities I can tell you that a day in Paris is not enough and a week in London barely will give you time to scratch the surface of sights there. Frankly, I'd leave Paris for a time when I could devote more time to it, but if you can't then look into a BritainShrinkers tour (or EvansEvans) to Paris via Eurostar. They include a sightseeing tour when you get there of the famous sights and then you are on your own in the p.m. It's very hard to recommend what people should see because it depends on your interests (and time in your case). I love going to the top of the Eiffel Tower and do every time we are there, but with your limited time I would not recommend it because the lines are usually pretty long. Decide what is important to you to see and zero in on that, there just won't be time to do a lot of things.

Old May 10th, 2001, 12:55 PM
Jon

I would eat all day...on the street, cafes, bistros. Make it a bistro crawl, binge and purge, whatever you have to do to take in as much Parisian food as possible.
I recently did 4 days London, 5 days Paris and wish we had spent more time in Paris.
Have a great trip,
j.

Old May 10th, 2001, 06:40 PM
Deb

Russell, I completely agree with the other posters that if there is any way to extend your trip an extra day or two and fly into London and out of Paris your trip will be so much better. However, if I only had one day in Paris I would spend it at Notre Dame, and St. Chapelle (which are very close to each other) and the rest of the time walking through the Marais district and the latin quarter.