one day in Lake Como......

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8th, 2006, 06:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You've been all so helpful with my previous posting. Now...... we will be staying at Villa d'Este for 2 nights in April, so we'll have a whole day to enjoy Lake Como.

I've read about the beautiful villas (especially Carlotta), gardens, a funicula ride, and all the charming towns around the lake. How do we take in the best of Lake Como in one day? What should our itinerary be like during that one full day?

Do we have to make reservation for boat ride or villa entrance? We will not have a car but will hire a private driver or a boat if need to--there will be 6 of us.

Breakfast is included in our hotel stay so would appreciate lunch and dinner recommendatons, too! Thanks.
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 06:40 PM
Doble_Vergasser

I am under the impression that Villa d'este has a few motor boats so you might ask Villa d'este about the rate.

In all honesty, have you thought about sleeping somewhere else and having more days on Lake Como?

If it's open, then the restaurant on the island (the only island) might be a good lunch choice (I have never been).

Villa Carlotta is near Bellagio, and those two would take at least half of your day. That would be good start.

The town of Como has somewhat of a specialty in silk products (If you are into shopping).

Old Mar 8th, 2006, 08:31 PM

Well in April, you first will have to let the weather be your guide for your day. You could get a cold and wet day, take a look at weatherbase.com for average temps and rainfall. If you go out on the water, bring layers as it will be cooler than on land.

The hotel can arrange for a boat for a half day or full day. A private boat is the best way to take advantage of your limited time, IMO, as you won't be tied to a ferry schedule. With 6 of you, the price will be quite reasonable, the hotel's website may list prices, or send them an e-mail for a price quote. In no particular order I would see one villa, the town of Bellagio, have lunch, go up to the northern part of the lake as far as you want. The town of Como is not much actually; I kow that Venice and Rome are on your itinerary so really not comparison and it is not nearly as charming as Bellagio or Varenna, IMO, although they do have an excellent cathedral. You also want to plan to spend time hanging out at the hotel, which has lovely gardens, some hillside walks, and you never know who will be there, I sat at a table next to Bruce Springsteen last time I was there (and as Jersey Girl this was a complete thrill to me.... ) The hotel also has a great spa which on a cold rainy day may come in handy. I think dinner on their terrace outdoors is a wonderful expereince, but you may want to go elsewhere I guess.

I think I might recco the Villa Balbianello over the Villa Carlotta, as it is smaller, IMO more charming and will be less crowded most likely as it is private and you have to make a booking to be able to see it. The hotel can make the booking for you. If you have time after the above itinerary, you could go to the Villa Carlotta and see if it looks crowded and/or interesting to you. You have to take a boat as it is generally only accessible by private boat (which also cuts down on crowds). It is closed on Mondays I beleive (that's what my guidebook says anyway.)

Again with the time of year and weather, the gardens will probably not be in bloom, so see what the gardens at the htoel look like and take that as a guide, if they are not blooming, I am not sure it is worth spending a whole lot of time going to places like the gardens at Villa Serbilloni above Bellagio as you can't go into teh house but can only see the gardens, which may not have any blooms in April.

If you get a nice day and don't want to see gardens, a great walk is from Bellano to Varenna. This takes 2-3 hours or so but gives great lake views. Your boat driver could drop you in Bellano and pick you up in Varenna. (Or you could take a ferry).

The restaurant referred to above is called the Locanda dell'Isola, it is on Isola Comacina, and is definitely worth a stop for lunch or dinner. I am not totally sure it is open in April, Most things open in mid-March but I can't swear by it, take a look at the website. You would probably need a booking, take a look at http://www.comacina.it/isola/isle.htm. I would contact the hotel and have them make the booking.

Old Mar 8th, 2006, 10:59 PM
Original Poster

Doble: Wish we could stay longer but we will only be able to spend 2 nights because we'll be traveling from Rome, Venice, via Como, then continue on to Lausanne, and Paris. Thanks for suggestion on having lunch on the island. I have emailed them for reservation.

Cicerone: Thanks for your wonderful suggestions and information. The websites are really helpful. I would've never figured it out myself, but now I am confident that we are going to have a great, albeit brief, visit to Lake Como.
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 10:30 AM
Original Poster

Another question....on our date of departure, we have to catch the 12:25 train ride from Milan to Lausanne.

Should we take a train from Como to Milan and transfer at the station or hire a private car to take us?

How much time should we allow for the transfer? The train from Como to Milan arrives at 12:05. Is 20 minutes enough for the transfer?

If we take a car, how long does it take to drive from Como to Milan? And how is the traffic on a Monday morning(April 10) ? Thanks.
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 05:05 PM

If 6 of you can fit into one car, esp with bags, then a car would be cheaper and easier than a train; if you need two cars then you would need to compare prices versus the train I would think. (Maybe you can get a van for all of you.) The drive takes under an hour with no traffic, so if you are trying to make a 12:30 ish train from Milano Centrale station, then you don't have to leave until around 11 or so, so you would miss the worst rush hour traffic and should be OK. The hotel could advise on the best time to leave.

If you take the train, 20 minutes is plenty of time for the transfer in Milan, even with a lot of luggage, as you can all help one another

There are other train options, not sure if you looked at rail.ch. The fastest train in terms of time you have to spend on the train is the Milan train, but that is right in the middle of the day, which does cut into sightseeing time on either end.
There is a train that leaves Como at around 9:00 am, requires only one change in Zurich and arrives in Lausanne at 2:40 pm. I can see from the schedule that the track change in Zurich is only 3 tracks over on the same level on the main platform (I know Zurich station well I used to live there) so is an easy one. That would be a good option as well, and would save you having to drive to Milan or change trains in Milan which is a much bigger station. The train ride is quite pretty (as is the train via Milan and Brig as well), and while it takes 30 minutes or so longer than going via Milan, it would get you into Lausanne 2 hours earlier, but you would not have to leave Como that much earlier in the day than if you drove to Milan or took the 11 am train to Milan. (Como station is about 15 minutes drive from the Villa d'este.) The Zurich train might be a better option for you. There is also a later train via Zurich that leaves Como at 11:43 am and gets to Lausanne at 5:15 pm, a train via Luzene that departs at Noon at gets int Laussane at 6:15 and a train via Zurich that departs at 1:07 pm and gets into Laussane at 7:15. These trains would give you a bit more time in Como itself and require only one change.
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 05:38 PM

Hi, Ice Leopard...

For restaurant recommendations:

Varenna...Ristorante La Vista at the Albergo Milano Hotel. Dinner only.
A 3-course meal served very elegantly by lakeside. Excellent food. Make reservations a few days in advance. It is a tiny place.

Tremezzo...Near Villa Carlotta...
Ristorante Al Veluu. Lunch and Dinner.
This restaurant was up in the hills overlooking the town. You need a car or taxi to get there. Stunning view of the lake. Excellent food and service. Family owned. They even grow many of their own vegetables.

Bellagio...La Punta Ristorante. We found this restaurant by accident. It is about a 5 - 10 minute walk outside of the main town...located right on the lake with an expansive view of Lake Como and the Alps farther in the distance. Lunch and Dinner. If you are looking for this restaurant...go past Hotel Serbelloni...take Via Roma. Just keep going straight until you get to the end of the road and that's where you'll find the restaurant.

One more thing...The restaurant on Isola Comacina is wonderful. But I think it is a 3-hour meal. And if you have only one day at Lake Como...you might want to consider the time in your plans. Also..if you go there for dinner...you have to check on boat arrangements.

Buon appetito!
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 09:08 AM

Hmmmmm, are there motorboats for rent on the lake if you're NOT staying at Villa d'Este? That would be a way of coaxing my husband to go. Putting around Lake Windermere by ourselves was a trip highlight for him.
Old Mar 11th, 2006, 05:43 AM
Doble_Vergasser

Yes, you can rent a motorboat for yourself. Google Rentaboat. I think 150 euro for half day + gasoline. You have to get to Dongo. Rentaboat has a listing on the Larioonline website.

You can also hire a watertaxi (with its owner/driver) out of Bellagio.