One day in Florence, what would you see?

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 01:02 PM
Sandy

One day in Florence, what would you see?

We are only daytripping into Florence in 2 weeks. What were your favorite highlights in Florence?

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 01:25 PM
Vita

1) Make a reservation for Accademia to see David.

2) Duomo

3) Santa Croce

4) Cross the river to Piazzale Michelangelo and San Miniato

5) Walk along the Arno to Ponte Vecchio and into Piazza della Signorina

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 01:30 PM
GGinSF

My favorite memories of Florence: The Accademia with Michelangelo's David & Slaves. Quick to see but amazing scupture. The Duomo & Campanile. The Ponte Vecchio (or just view it from the banks of the Arno river). Gelato at one of the many ice cream shops.

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 03:52 PM
Jean

Just a few favorites: Lunch at the Koffeehaus in the Boboli Gardens with a wonderful view back across the river at the city. Evening concert in the church where Dante worshipped. Climbing to the top of the Duomo and seeing from the inside how the dome was constructed and the 360 degree view from the top.

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 04:47 AM
elaine

"David"
Duomo, Campanile, and Baptistry
Museum of San Marco with Giotto's
murals
Bargello Museum--more of Michelangelo's sculptures
Santa Croce church
Ponte Vecchio
Gelato at Vivoli
Hot chocolate and/or pastry at Rivoire,
on Piazza della Signoria

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 05:29 AM
sally

I disagree with the other posters. I'd skip the Accademia and catch the copy of the David outside in the Piazza Signoria. I'd buy a good map before going and if you are an art lover, I'd make advance reservations to see the Uffizi (so you don't have to wait in line). There are absolutely amazing art works there but it can be exhausting because unlike the Louvre or the Vatican museums it is small enough so that you feel like you should see the whole thing. What I'd do though, if you decide to go, is to only stay an hour or two so you aren't exhausted for the rest of the day. If you skip the Uffizi, I'd see the Bargello instead (great sculpture).

Then I'd climb to the top of the Duomo or Campanile (bell tower) for a great view of the city. I'd spend the rest of the day shopping, eating and wandering around. Take time for an evening drink somewhere with a great view - the Cafe across from the Palazzo Vecchio staring at David, a hotel rooftop garden, etc. I'd glimpse the Ponte Vecchio but wouldnt' spend much time there unless you like mob scenes and tourist traps.

The museum at San Marco is also great and I found the Massachio frescos at the Brancachi (sp?) chapel reallly moving. The chapel is across the river in the less touristy part of town. If you are there try Trattoria Casalingha for lunch. It was great!

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 05:49 AM
Nancy

Sandy,

Wait until 5:00-5:30 pm to see David and his "prisoners" at the Accademia. You'll almost have the place to yourself.

Have fun.

Nancy

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 06:20 AM
dan woodlief

With one day:

The Uffizi - 2 hours

The Duomo and Campanile - 1 hour

Ponte Vecchio - 30 minutes

Santa Croce - 1 hour

Piazza della Signoria - maybe for lunch - 1 - 1/2 hours

The Accademia - 30 minutes to 1 hour

Gelato - Vivoli near Santa Croce is excellent

You should still have some time for wandering. If you have more time, San Miniato and Piazzale Michelangelo would make a good addition. You can take a bus, but a cab would work better with limited time.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 07:09 AM
Sandy

How about the Pitti Palace? Is it worth it?

Thanks for the suggestions so far!

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 08:00 AM
havefun

Dan's suggestions are terrific. "Being seen" and people watching in the Piazza della Signoria is a lot fun. Also, make sure to go into Santa Croce as well as the Duomo.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 08:56 AM
dan woodlief

Sandy,

The Pitti Palace is very nice. It has wonderful collections in a fabulously ornate building, and the gardens offer peace and quiet from the streets of Florence. However, I personally would not visit if I had only one day because the other sights are more convenient and "better." With two days, I would include it.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 09:20 AM
frank

One day in Florence:
1.Duomo - don't forget to hike up to the top, the view is worth the work.
2.Uffizi and/or the David
3.Ponte Vecchio - my and every jewelry lovers heaven.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 09:42 AM
chris in texas

1. Gelato, gelato, gelato

2. Santa Croce

3. Duomo

These are my must sees. We were there 2 days & never set foot in the Accademia or Uffizi. Not much into art. But really enjoyed Santa Croce.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 09:45 AM
Carol

The above suggestions are all excellent...except you must see David and the slaves at the Accademia. They are all truly exceptional works of art.

Just two other suggestions: 1. Since your time is limited, plan ahead to be sure of the opening and closing times of the sites you will be visiting so you will not be disappointed and will not waste time. 2. Wear the most comfortable clothes and shoes you own since this sounds like a non-stop day.

Have a great time.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 09:54 AM
blanche

Regarding the Pitti Palace. It's spectacular but it takes a good two hours to visit and climb to the top for a spectacular view. If you're already visiting the Duomo slip into the Baptistry which only takes a few minutes and is in the same piazza. Have fun it's a great city.

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 11:01 AM
Vita

topping for hazel

Old Jul 19th, 2009, 04:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bm
Old Jul 19th, 2009, 04:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
here's something to consider....if, in a month, year, etc someone finds out you've been to Florence and asks "oh, did you see xxx" and you have to say 'no', would you feel like a fool? if so, make sure that site is on your one day list. its like, you were in rome but didn't see St Peters or the Colosseum or the Forum. Or were in paris and skipped the eiffel tower, louvre and Notre Dame. For me in Florence, that means the Duomo, David(the real one not the fake in the piazza), a stroll through Uffizi with the help of a guide book that points out the most famous works and what ever else makes your day. most guide books will have a list of the 'must do's' in any city.