ON TRAVEL CHANNEL: Joan Cusack's Local Flavor

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 03:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you watched this yet? I watched the first show when she was in Tuscany. It was a little cringe-worthy watching her not even try to speak one word of Italian to the people she met for the show.

Some of her schtick falls flat but I think over all it is a good concept, which I guess is "a female comedian goes to Europe to experience local flavor".

Tonight she is in Greece and next week, France. I missed Spain last week.

http://travel.discovery.com/fansites...travel_leftnav

Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 03:31 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Must be a repeat, I saw the France one in early October.
Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 03:39 PM

Yes. I don't care for her as a host. She lacks personality.
Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 03:41 PM

I can't say I watched her show. My patience did not extend over 2 minutes.
Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 04:09 PM
P_M

I will watch anything travel related, but I am also having a hard time warming up to Joan. Her jokes about macaroni and cheese got old FAST.
Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 07:05 PM

I suffered through the show. While the content was ok, she was so unanimated and so boring, I considered changing the channel. The whole show was a bore, except when the show talked to locals, the only saving grace.

Even my mom said, you know, that Samantha Brown isn't so bad after all!
Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 06:23 AM

Can't really get into this show although I love travel shows.
Joan seems to be trying to hard to be funny or something but I can't get through more than half of each show I have watched. It's almost painfull!
Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 06:36 AM

I hoped I don't get bashed for this, but I personally think she's an embarrassment to Americans. What do the locals really think of her?

Monica
Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 06:51 AM
Original Poster

I still think it is a good concept but she does not pull it off. I agree that she tries too hard and is basically clueless. It reminds me of a home movie and I cringed so much watching her in Greece I finally changed the channel. She seems to be bouncing around with no direction.
Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 06:57 AM

I guess I won't be watching this. Thanks for the warning. Too bad, because I've loved her in all of her acting gigs.
Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 07:14 AM

Monica, I'm with you. I like her in her movies, but unless they have a fantastic translator that can convey to the locals that she is making idiotic comments for the US audience and to not try to follow them, it certainly is an embarrassment.

When I travel out of the country and spend time with english speakers I have to constantly be aware that I have to talk in "school english" and not in idiom.
Old Nov 10th, 2006, 04:25 AM

After trying to catch the rerun in Paris last night I finally got so fed up I fired off an e-mail to the Travel Channel. Has she ever traveled before ? Find someone who knows what they are doing, please. Also, we don't need the feeble attempt at humor, & make an attempt to speak the language !! If anyone would care to see the definition of an 'ugly American tourist' she may just fit the bill, ugh.
Old Nov 10th, 2006, 04:57 AM

To add to my comments, she makes Americans look stupid and uncultured. Did you see the way she popped the whole pastry in her mouth? Hmmm, maybe I should also write to the TC. Maybe we ALL should! Do you have an email address for them?

Monica
Old Nov 10th, 2006, 05:00 AM

I watched the one on Spain. One word to describe the entire affair: Awkward.

Her timing is off, her interactions are off, the comments are silly and bordering on offensively ignorant.

They presented a beautiful Serrano Ham platter to be served as part of the family's breakfast and she asked HOW IT WAS EATEN! When the lady replied that they just ate it like that, Joan says something along the lines of "oh, my kids would love to eat it like that, with the hands".

Not only that but THEN, she asks in a critical tone to the Spanish lady "and you don't eat anything hot?"

Spanish lady replies that 'not really, only little toast' and then she asks Joan what HER family is eating. The answer: Microwave Waffles.

Later in the program she almost fainted when she saw the vintner's 10yr old son toasting and drinking a small glass of wine.

Give me Bourdain any day....
Old Nov 10th, 2006, 05:02 AM

I saw the Paris episode last night. She doesn't seem to know what to talk about or what to say. And why can't she learn to say at least a few words? How hard is it to say 'merci' and 'bonjour'? It was really embarassing when she greeted the locals with a 'Hi'.
Old Nov 10th, 2006, 05:22 AM

Wow, glad to know I'm not alone on this.
My husband and I watched the first 10 min of the first show, turned to each other and said "are you bored?" and switched it off.
We haven't watched any others, but I did Tivo them and now think I'm just best off deleting the shows since it doesn't sound like they get any better.
Bummer, because I do like her as an actress.
Old Nov 10th, 2006, 05:27 AM

Another thing she cooks and she sounded soooooooooo proud of was mac and cheese. It's not a dish that take time or effort to make!

Monica
Old Nov 10th, 2006, 05:31 AM

I just went to the website & then visit comments etc., indicate the show, etc. it is a couple of pages long to get through, but one has to do what one has to do.
Old Nov 10th, 2006, 05:37 AM

She admitted that her hors d'oeuvres are the microwaved kind. Then she proceeded to ask the Dalloyau chef if his hors d'oeuvres could be microwaved. I suppose it was meant to be a joke, however, the chef didn't get it, and it was embarassing.

She also told the Dalloyou's owners that she would make them peanut butter sandwiches if they visited her at home. That was also embarassing. I guess she doesn't realize it.
Old Nov 10th, 2006, 05:44 AM

Well, yeah, the chef did get it and said 'no' to the microwaving. He just didn't seem to get her 'joke'.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -