On the road to Normandy

Mar 25th, 2002, 09:33 AM
Meander

On the road to Normandy

Same song, new verse: Anyone know of a nice place to stay overnight between CDG and Honfleur, or there abouts? Getting in at 6AM and would like to ease into things by not driving too far the first day. Chateau Villiers-le-Mahieu in Karen Brown's B&B looks great by too pricey. Looking to stay around USD100 or less.

Mar 25th, 2002, 10:03 AM
Julie

Check out Chateau du Chaumontel in Luzarches in the Il de France about 9 km south of Chantilly. It's only about 20 km from Charles De Gaulle airport and it has lovely relaxing gardens Rooms listed at 500/700 per double in the 1996 Micehlin red guide that shows the hotel to have two red turrets, red standing for especially pleasant. It doesn't get you far in the direction of Honfleur (about 220 km from Luzarches to Honfleur) but it would let you ease into things and be a very nice start to your trip. We expect to stay there after leaving Honfleur and before returning to the states via CDG.

Mar 25th, 2002, 11:32 AM
Meander

Thanks, Julie--I'll have to get the Michelin to find it. It doesn't show up in any of my stuff but it sounds really good. Anybody else out there familiar with Chateau du Chaumontel?

Mar 26th, 2002, 01:12 PM
JOdy

I was interested too! I did find their website and it looks perfect for a first or last night from CDG. Thaks for posting it, Julie.

http://www.chateau-chaumontel.fr/cadregb.htm

Mar 29th, 2002, 02:57 PM
bobbie

You might want to make your 1st stop in La Bouille. It is near Rouen.
It is suppose to be very charming town and will save you the trouble of having to backtrack from Honfleur if you want to see Rouen.
Also there is easy direct bus service from La Bouille to Rouen which saves you the trouble of driving in a larger city and finding parking.
We are driving from Calais to Deauville but will make our 1st night stop in La Bouille.
Have a nice trip
Bobbie