Reload this Page >

???on Switzerland

Search

???on Switzerland

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23rd, 2000, 02:14 PM
Maria

???on Switzerland

What do you consider to be the most scenic area of Switzerland and why? <BR>Is October a good time of year to go? What is the weather like?

Old Jul 23rd, 2000, 02:44 PM
Bob Brown

Hi Maria. I am sure Ed and some others will give their opinions. They have been there, as have I. Here is my considered opinion. <BR> <BR>Two major regions standout in my mind: <BR>the Berner Oberland, which can be accessed by going south from Interlaken to Grindelwald, Muerren, Wengen, or Lauterbrunnen. There are also some scenic views to be had from Kandersteg, which is the next valley over. And don't discount driving over the Grimsel Pass to the Valley of the Rhone. <BR>The second major scenic area is the range of alps south of the Rhone Valley. <BR>In past geologic history, these mountains along with the Berner Oberland, south slopes, fed huge glaciers to carve out the valley of the Rhone. Hanging valleys still exist off of the Rhone which lead to such famous villages as Saas Fee (the Pearl of the Alps), Zermatt, Zinal, Grimentz, and a few others. Saas Fee is as dumbfoundingly spectacular as it is little known to American tourists. <BR>But Saas Fee sits at about 6,000 feet at the base of the highest mountain entirely within Switzerland -- the Dom, which reaches almost 15,000 feet in elevation. The next valley over leads to Zermatt, which is justly famous for the many majestic peaks which arise around it, including the Matterhorn, Monte Rosa, Dente Blanche, the Rothorn, and a host of others. <BR>Zinal is virtually hidden from view well up in Val d'Anniviers south of Sion. <BR>It is small, but lovely. Near it, in another branch of the Val d'Anniviers is Grimentz, from which a road leads to the <BR>Barrage de Moiry and its lake, which is fed by a huge glacier. It is possible to walk almost to the glacier, but not quite. An awesome world. <BR>These are the highlights. But, if you want some scenery in an area to the east, visit the area around St. Moritz. <BR>It is glitzy, but you can find non glitzy places to eat and sleep. <BR>If you want cities, then Luzern and Lausanne are my two favorites, although Geneva has its international appeal and it is scenically located on Lake Geneva. <BR>But of it is mountains you are after, the Berner Oberland, and any of the valleys on the south side of the Rhone lead to incredible views. <BR>As for October, it depends. In 1999, I left in the rain on Oct. 2 and the forecast was for no golden October. <BR>In other years, I understand that October can be beautiful, if a bit chilly in the mountains. It is hard to predict weather as you well know, and Switzerland, because of the mountains is even less predictable. <BR> <BR>I think you would do better in very early September.

Old Jul 23rd, 2000, 05:04 PM
Anna

Maria, <BR>My husband and I visited Switzerland October 9-23, 1998 and the weather was good. We wore pants and sweaters in the mountains and jackets depending on the altitude. We had a little snow in the mountains and very little rain over the two weeks. The changing of the leaves made the Alpine scenery very beautiful. The most scenic part of Switzerland is the Berner Oberland in my opinion.

Old Jul 23rd, 2000, 05:10 PM
Ed

Berner Oberland is, for us, clearly the most scenic part of Switzerland. More broadly, the Swiss mountains are the most scenic part of the country, and generally as fine or finer than you'll find in Europe. <BR> <BR>October is not an ideal time for the mountains, though. (Swiss or otherwise.) While there are many spectacularly beautiful days, the weather can be quite variable and occasionally nasty by autumn. <BR> <BR>If you choose that time to visit and have a few days, patience and a sense of humor you'll likely find several of those days quite nice, possibly all. Though October is not a great time to bet your vacation on just a few days having enjoyable weather. <BR> <BR>We've been in snow as late in the spring as June 10 and as early as August 25 at the other end. Really quite variable. <BR> <BR>If you tied to October you might consider the Engadine. Not quite as lovely an area as the Oberland, but quite lovely. Generally warmer and drier than the Oberloand, usually for some distance into October. <BR> <BR>If you're really interested in mountains, I'd suggest you consider finding a time when you can schedule a visit between mid-late June and mid-August, with July probably being the most reliable and with the most wildflowers. <BR> <BR>Rome.Switzerland.Bavaria <BR>www.twenj.com <BR>

Old Jul 24th, 2000, 10:45 AM
richard j vicek

Good afternoon, Maria <BR>Have to second Bob's one choice of the <BR>Berneroberland, however a better choice <BR>for October would be might be the Engadine as Ed suggests...Have been into <BR>the Berneroberland (Grindelwald) five <BR>times in mid thru the end of September. <BR>The days we had rain, would estimate <BR>abput 60% or more. These were in 88,89, <BR>90,93 and 94. 1994 for some reason <BR>had five days of clear weather, secondly. a lot of hotels start closing <BR>at the end of September and October. <BR>Richard of La Grange Park, IL..

Old Jul 29th, 2000, 11:06 AM
Maria

Thank you so much Bob, Anna, Ed and Richard! I was pleasantly surprised to see everyone in agreement regarding the Berner Oberland. It is mountains we are after. I have wanted to take a trip like this for as long as I can remember. A late spring or summer trip (with all the wildflowers)is what I had alway envisioned, but early October and the month of December are the only times our schedules will allow. So,if all goes well, we are going to go for it this year and keep fingers crossed for some good weather. Thanks again for your advise and comments.

Old Jul 29th, 2000, 01:02 PM
Bob Brown

If it spatters rain on you, head for Luzern. There are several museums there that will hold you for about one full day or two normal days. I was fascinated by the Transportation Museum. <BR>Or Verkehrsmuseum in German. <BR>If it rolls, flies, floats, or swings from a cable, the Transportation Museum has something on it.