Oktoberfest question

Old May 24th, 2005, 01:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oktoberfest question

Will four of us be able to find seats in the tents at night? I understand that the nighttime reservations are all gone. Reservations are still available for the afternoon, but do you need them then? Also, anyone know how easy it is to get to fairgrounds from Munich Marriott? Thanks.
Old May 24th, 2005, 01:18 PM

What day of the week will you be there?

If you're talking about Friday/Saturday, the answer is no, you will not find seats in the evening. Without reservations, you may not even find seats at any time, even turning up in the morning. Midweek, you stand a better chance but I think I'd take the reservations if you have a chance of taking them as I expect the tents will still get full up, just later than at weekends.

From memory, the Marriott is an easy enough walk to the beer tents/fairground, 10-15 minutes.
Old May 24th, 2005, 02:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. We'll be there for a week. Sounds like the weekend should be avoided.
Old May 25th, 2005, 01:09 AM
PJI

Make friends with a German! We walked around like lost puppies trying to find a place for 2. We finally got a seat at an outdoor beer garden and while eating dinner met a lovely couple about our age who we ended up spending the rest of the day with. They walked us right into a tent and asked the waitress to find a place for the 4 of us (in german of course). A minute later she was sliding down a family to make room for us. We spent the rest of the night talking with the other group and standing on the tables drinking beer. I still have the huge neck cookie an old man bought for me.
Old May 25th, 2005, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

Yikes, that sounds grim that two of you had a hard time finding a seat. Was that night or day? weekday or weekend?
Old May 25th, 2005, 06:56 AM

Is the Munich Marriott the one in Schwabing? If So you will need to take the U-bahn to the O-Fest grounds, probably with a change at Marienplatz.
Old May 25th, 2005, 08:54 AM

If AisleSeat is thinking of your hotel, I must have a different one in mind. I just recalled staying opposite a Marriott but it definitely wasn't where Aisleseat describes so it must have been another hotel, or maybe a different Marriott.
Old May 25th, 2005, 05:18 PM

We went to Oktoberfest mid-week afternoon and couldn't find seats. However, we enjoyed walking/standing around the tents drinking beer, listening to the music and watching one of the most incredible gatherings I've ever seen. Outside the tents on the grounds are numerous restaurants and kiosks and more great people-watching. If you can't get reservations, go anyway. It's a sight not to be missed.
Old May 25th, 2005, 05:44 PM

I agree..and be sure to buy one of those outrageous cookies that people wear around their necks and spend the outlandish amount of money to ride the ferris wheel..pricey, yes, but definitely a one-of-a-kind thing, especially at night!
Old May 26th, 2005, 01:23 AM
PJI

I can't remember which day of the week it was but we went more than once and it was packed every time. The best advice we heard was to get there early, get a seat and don't get up until you are ready to go even if you stay all day.
Old May 26th, 2005, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for the info, and to AisleSeat, yes I think the hotel is in Schwabing.
Old May 27th, 2005, 09:03 AM

Make sure you just take the train into Munich, no point in trying to find parking, etc.

Regarding the seats - I was there the last day of Oktoberfest; seats were very difficult, but if you just walk around and search for seats, someone is destined to leave or move over.

i would recommend exploring the other beer halls! even though they serve the same beer, the ambience can vary from one hall to another!

Enjoy the beer, food, and singing!! oktoberfest is a definite must!! Have fun!!!