Reload this Page >

okay, I'm on my way

Search

okay, I'm on my way

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 2001, 07:35 AM
barb

okay, I'm on my way

I'll be leaving for Italy this Friday. Six of us have rented a villa and two cars and we are going to visit Florence, Rome, and the small country places. I'm a "little" nervous of the international flight (never been before), I have all my money and papers secure thanks to this site. We are going for 20 days. Any last minute suggestions? I'll post when we get back and share my "first timer" observations. <BR>Barb

Old Apr 23rd, 2001, 07:52 AM
Capo

Hi Barb, my only suggestion to you as a first-timer would be: if there are any cultural differences that rub you the wrong way, just try to accept and roll with them, rather than becoming annoyed by them, or comparing them to the way we do things in the U.S. Vive la difference! (or however they say that in Italian.) <BR> <BR>I'll bet you'll fall in love...with Italy. :~) Buon viaggio!

Old Apr 23rd, 2001, 07:54 AM
Maty

HAVE A WONDERFUL TRIP!!! You will love it, even the trip 'cross the pond! <BR>Remember to stop and drink it all in...breathe deeply, just absorb it all! <BR>Lucky you!

Old Apr 23rd, 2001, 10:04 AM
truet

We just returned and had the most fabulous time ever. It was my first time to Italy and my husband who is of Italian descent picked up the language and it was remarkable. <BR> <BR>International flight will be fine - you will be so busy with movies etc. the time will pass quickly. <BR> <BR>Here are my tips - learn the road signs and basic Italian for directions - right, left, etc. and get a good road map. The small Tuscan, Lazio, Umbria towns have great signage, but Rome does not and in Rome there are no rules - so be agressive. <BR> <BR>We loved Orvieto and Chianti region. If you are a gardener, don't miss Boboli Gardens in Florence behind the Pitti Palace. Enjoy!!!

Old Apr 23rd, 2001, 10:21 AM
Patti Suttle

Barb-my husband and I are going to Ireland, London and Paris in June and bringing 8 friends!! We'll be renting 2 small vans in Ireland and taking the "tube"/"metro" in London/Paris. <BR>Several of us are not thrilled about the long flights either-my husband and I have done it the most of the group though. You will be fine-just try to sleep/rest as much as you can. <BR>We were in Italy last summer and loved it! Do tell us all about it-I'd love to know how it went with 6 and 2 cars! <BR>Patti

Old Apr 23rd, 2001, 01:09 PM
barb

I will post when I get back for sure. I certainly appreciate all the good advice I have picked up. What a wonderful site. <BR>Barb

Old Apr 23rd, 2001, 01:14 PM
nancy

Barb, <BR>have a great time. <BR>How lovely to have so much time over there. <BR>One tip I got from this site last year, and still remember, <BR>is in the markets, do *not* pick up the fruits /veggies yourself, <BR> you will be chastised

Old Apr 23rd, 2001, 02:27 PM
NANCY

Barb, I am leaving for Italy on <BR>Friday also (from LA), and am also renting a villa in Tuscany and renting <BR>2 cars, but there are 8 of us! <BR> <BR>I have been to Italy a few times <BR>and really love it. I dont like <BR>flying that far either but I read <BR>my travel guides to keep busy. <BR>Try earplugs in the plane to keep out the drone and set your watch <BR>to Italy time when you take off. <BR> <BR>I have been checking the weather <BR>and it is raining now, but looks <BR>better for when we arrive. <BR> <BR>Let's just have a great vacation! <BR>

Old Apr 23rd, 2001, 04:01 PM
barb

Hi Nancy, <BR> <BR>We will be leaving from Montreal. We are a Canadian group. If you see a Canadian Flag it will probably be us. <BR>Have a great trip. <BR>Barb

Old Apr 23rd, 2001, 07:19 PM
nancy

Hi Barb, we will be staying outside <BR>Volterra and I will be on the lookout for your Canadian flag.

Old Apr 23rd, 2001, 07:29 PM
Gigi

Barb, <BR>I would download the metro maps of Rome and Florence, but, especially, Rome. You just may want to park closer to the edge of the city and train into the city center and pick up the metro rather than driving in that very crazy city. We have driven all over Europe and Rome is not for the first time driver. Florence is easier, just take your time. <BR>Find good maps, learn what the road signs are before you take off. <BR>The best advice for the long plane trip is to buy the eye patches. I wouldn't go without them nor my neck pillow. They have made a world of difference in the amount of rest I get. <BR>Good luck and have a truly wonderful time! <BR>Gigi <BR>