OK GIVE ME SOME IDEAS

Old Jan 17th, 2002, 05:43 AM
Albert

OK GIVE ME SOME IDEAS

Hi folks. I have found all of you to be quite helpful in past and I have tried to contribute as I can to help others in planning their trips. So, I am looking for ideas on a possible trip later this year to celebrate a very special time. My wife and I will be married 35 years in November and I would like to take a special trip for us to celebrate our life together. <BR><BR>We have traveled in Europe extensively and visited UK, France, Germany, Austria, Italy, Switzerland, Holland, and Belgium. I have been to Spain several times but she has not. Neither of us have been to Ireland. We prefer to travel in shoulder season in fall, like late September into October. We also prefer to stay in smaller 2-3 star hotels and really enjoy just walking around and discovering the area on our own. We are flexible on use of train and car rentals (although I do prefer having a car).<BR><BR>Looking ideas for romantic and unique places (we both dearly love lake country of Italy and that is one that is high on my list at this time). It would be nice to go somewhere we have not gone before. I have also thought about one of the river cruises, like from Amsterdam to Vienna or further. <BR><BR>So,hit me with your best ideas. The winner will receive a postcard from us when we arrive at that special destination......

Old Jan 17th, 2002, 06:15 AM
Gaia

I would go to a river cruise from Budapest to Amsterdam, my parents have been and odored it. They went with Deilmann Reederei and loved it. Look it up:http://www.deilmann-cruises.com/ The company for river cruises has the best boats in central Europe.

Old Jan 17th, 2002, 06:44 AM
kavey

For a peaceful and beautiful location, with stunning scenery, and wonderful food, I would recommend Madeira.<BR><BR>It's ideal for those who like to explore on their own, and aren't fanatical about ticking off major sights from a guide book. That said there is plenty to see, but not Eiffel Towers or Sagrada Familias.<BR><BR>If you are into walking at all, it's even better.<BR><BR>The weather is mild and pleasant, we went in February and over Easter and it was warm and sunny T shirt weather both times, though it can change, so check the average climate records for your preferred month first.<BR><BR>Kavey

Old Jan 17th, 2002, 06:55 AM
L

Perhaps this may not be comfortable for you ... but have you considered northern Africa, Morocco? This is a very enchanting country, unusual atmosphere, great food and scenery, a very different population. If this one doesn't fit right now, you may wish to add it to your list. Another idea: Russia. Another very different experience. It sounds like you're ready to venture off the tried and true. I've been to these two places, and each was very memorable. Ciao

Old Jan 17th, 2002, 08:25 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Hello Albert, Good for you ! We spent 8 weeks traveling in Europe celebrating our 40th anniversary in 1999. How long will you have for this one??<BR>I like the time of year you are picking.<BR>You can do several very nice itineraires using the Italian Lakes as the center piece. One would include parts of CH and the Alps. Another, would include the Dolomites, Bavaria, and parts of Austria. Lots of good choices but it depends on when and how long. Here are a few of my favs to get you to thinking more. Let me know if you need more specific help.<BR><BR>BOB the NAVIGATORS’ FIVE FAVORITE ITINERARIES<BR>___________________________________ _____<BR><BR>MAGICAL FAIRYLANDS:<BR> * Arrive and depart from Munich--14 nites--May thru Sep.--car travel<BR> * ITINERARY: Salzburg, Dolomites, Venice, Lake Garda, Bavaria<BR>======================================= =====<BR>BELLA ITALIA:<BR> * Arrive Milan, depart Venice--15 nites--car & train travel--April thru Oct.<BR> * ITINERARY: The Lakes, Ligurian coast, Tuscany, Florence, Venice<BR>======================================== ====<BR>CLASSIC ITALIA:<BR> * Arrive & depart Rome--12 to 14 nites--car & train travel, all year<BR> * ITINERARY: Florence, Tuscan & Umbrian hilltowns, Rome<BR>========================================== ==<BR>LA DOLCE VITA:<BR> * Arrive & depart Rome--12 nites--car & train travel--March thru Oct.<BR> * ITINERARY: Amalfi coast, Tuscany hilltowns, Rome<BR>========================================== ==<BR>OF ALPS & LAKES:<BR><BR> * Arrive and depart Zurich--12 nites--train travel--June thru Sep.<BR> * ITINERARY: Berner Oberland, Lugano, Lake Como, Luzern<BR>======================================== ====<BR>These are merely intended to be sample itineraries. Every TRIP PLAN is unique<BR>and is designed to meet your personal travel style, budget, and preferences.<BR>__________________________________ ______

Old Jan 17th, 2002, 08:49 AM
kathy

Have you ever considered Turkey? We were there last year and just loved Istanbul. I can't wait to go back. We were on a cruise and we were able to spend 3 days there before getting on the ship. Then we went to several other cities in Turkey which we enjoyed each one, but Istanbul took my breath away. The people are so friendly and helpful and the history!! The food, the shopping and just poking into different parts of the city are just magical.

Old Jan 17th, 2002, 09:35 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Hello Albert, Good for you ! We spent 8 weeks traveling in Europe celebrating our 40th anniversary in 1999. How long will you have for this one??<BR>I like the time of year you are picking.<BR>You can do several very nice itineraires using the Italian Lakes as the center piece. One would include parts of CH and the Alps. Another, would include the Dolomites, Bavaria, and parts of Austria. Lots of good choices but it depends on when and how long. Here are a few of my favs to get you to thinking more. Let me know if you need more specific help.<BR><BR>BOB the NAVIGATORS’ FIVE FAVORITE ITINERARIES<BR>___________________________________ _____<BR><BR>MAGICAL FAIRYLANDS:<BR> * Arrive and depart from Munich--14 nites--May thru Sep.--car travel<BR> * ITINERARY: Salzburg, Dolomites, Venice, Lake Garda, Bavaria<BR>======================================= =====<BR>BELLA ITALIA:<BR> * Arrive Milan, depart Venice--15 nites--car & train travel--April thru Oct.<BR> * ITINERARY: The Lakes, Ligurian coast, Tuscany, Florence, Venice<BR>======================================== ====<BR>CLASSIC ITALIA:<BR> * Arrive & depart Rome--12 to 14 nites--car & train travel, all year<BR> * ITINERARY: Florence, Tuscan & Umbrian hilltowns, Rome<BR>========================================== ==<BR>LA DOLCE VITA:<BR> * Arrive & depart Rome--12 nites--car & train travel--March thru Oct.<BR> * ITINERARY: Amalfi coast, Tuscany hilltowns, Rome<BR>========================================== ==<BR>OF ALPS & LAKES:<BR><BR> * Arrive and depart Zurich--12 nites--train travel--June thru Sep.<BR> * ITINERARY: Berner Oberland, Lugano, Lake Como, Luzern<BR>======================================== ====<BR>These are merely intended to be sample itineraries. Every TRIP PLAN is unique<BR>and is designed to meet your personal travel style, budget, and preferences.<BR>__________________________________ ______

Old Jan 17th, 2002, 09:38 AM
Grasshopper

Bob the Navigator, Are you willing to share more detailed info on any of your itineraries? Specifically I would be interested in your "of Alps and Lakes".<BR><BR>

Old Jan 17th, 2002, 10:00 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Sure ! What do you need? Email me directly if you want.