Reload this Page >

"Oh Doner, Oh Doner..."

Search

"Oh Doner, Oh Doner..."

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 09:10 AM
Fattie R. Buckle

"Oh Doner, Oh Doner..."

A few years back on a trip to London I became seriously addicted to doner kabobs. Now it’s almost as though that is one of the main reasons I keep going back. The little stands and carts seem to be all over the Sceptered Isle. (There’s a great take-away in Great Yarmouth called London Kabobs. Speaking of London try the Star. Exit the Earl's Court Tube and go a block or two to your left).<BR><BR>I’ve found several recipes on the web and found them all to be lacking, though I’ve made some killer nann bread and that’s a start (some use pita).<BR><BR>I live in the Midwest and have yet to find the elusive doner’s anywhere within 500 miles. Does anyone have any pointers for making them at home?<BR><BR>Also, why do you suppose these little delights haven’t caught on mainstream in the States? They’re fast, cheap, convenient and amazingly delicious. Seems like the next big step in American fast food. I prefer the lamb and, granted, that’s not big here on a wide scale, but that hardly seems to be an excuse since I’ve also had doner's made from turkey, chicken, pork, and beef.<BR><BR>As an aside I’ve also notice that the quality of the doner increases proportionately with the scuzziness of the “restaurant.” Kinda like burgers in the USA, it’s not uncommon for the best ones to be made in little greasy spoons that you’d rather not think too much about.<BR><BR>Any suggestions for great, homemade doner kabobs, eh?<BR>

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 09:19 AM
Googie

oooh, me too, me too! When they're on the menu you'll never see me making a "doner pass".

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 09:27 AM
Jean Valjean

I love Doners and simmilars (like shawarmas, gyros or falafel kebabs). I think that the reason you don't see them is that most places (in Europe or elsewhere) are family owned establishments, not chains. Maybe you could start your own! You can buy the equipment and recipes in several places over the net (do a search, they are not difficult to find).<BR><BR>My brother and I thought about it, but we haven't had the time to set up a doner shop.

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 09:49 AM
Tracy

Thank you for posting this - I saw the word "doner" on several restaurants in Paris and London recently and wondered what the heck it meant! We love shawarma and gyros - now I wish I'd tried it!

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 11:00 AM
kc

Lol~I saw oh doner, oh doner and wondered if comet and blitzen were next!<BR><BR>sounds like doners are something I would like too~

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 11:07 AM
EenieMeenie

I just don't think its possible to make them at home because of that special little rotating spit and electric oven that they use. I've tried and failed, many times.

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 11:15 AM
Janice

Come to Chicago - the north side has plenty of places to get Doners.

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 11:18 AM
Michelle

Come to NYC! Many, many places for kebobs and the like.

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 11:49 AM
Tony Hughes

But remember to call them kebabs not kebobs.<BR><BR>'large doner, no salad, no sauce'. Before I moved to Edinburgh I thought the streets were paved with gold - not so, they were paved with allthe excess salad that young men throw from their kebab at 2am.

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 12:01 PM
elina

;o) I have a great Turkish d&ouml;ner place very near ;o)<BR><BR>But to manage those yourself you would need that rotating thing, and quite a lot of lamb, I am afraid.

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 12:11 PM
Tony Hughes

But remember to call them kebabs not kebobs.<BR><BR>'large doner, no salad, no sauce'. Before I moved to Edinburgh I thought the streets were paved with gold - not so, they were paved with allthe excess salad that young men throw from their kebab at 2am.

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 12:56 PM
REDRUM

Well, if we're being picky, the Turkish family that are my neigbors (and several websites I've visited) actually spell and pronounce it "kaBAP," but I don't think it really matters much. Bill Bryson once commented, in his book NOTES FROM A SMALL ISLAND, something to the effect of how people could become so fond of anything that looked so much like the leg of a corpse? Apparently, he never tried one. My neighbors also told me that is not a huge, solid piece of lamb meat, rather it is rings of meet, the largest slices at the top narrowning down to the bottom tip. You live, you learn.

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 01:14 PM
BritChick

It certainly isn't one piece of meat.<BR>It's, how can I put this, a block made of up the offcuts of meat from larger butchers - scrap meat. I am not sure how it's pushed together.<BR><BR>To be honest I don't really care though. It tastes ****ing gorgeous and I haven't died of it yet.<BR><BR>

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 01:15 PM
xxxxx

On Doner, On Dasher, On Blitzen.

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 01:22 PM
Jean Valjean

Actually, there are two kinds. A Shawarma is layers of lamb meat. Not necesarily scraps, but more like thin slices, one on top of the other. To prevent dryness, they put a layer of fat in between layers of meat. That fat usually renders out when cooking, so little stays on the meat.<BR><BR>A kebab is more like a paste, made with minced lamb in the shape of a cylinder. It is mixed with a lot of pepper, onion puree and fat. That's why it looks kinda like a sausage.<BR><BR>In any case, they are both brilliant!

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 01:52 AM
Gareth

While in New York I had one of the best donners ever, even had the chilli sauce you get in England. It was by Washington Park by the University. Just the ticket after a night on the town!