Off to Dublin in 3 weeks

Jan 17th, 2005, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

Off to Dublin in 3 weeks

My wife and I are traveling to Ireland for 11 days on Feb. 6th. It's our first trip to Ireland and we are spending the first two nights in Dublin and then playing everything else by ear. Would love to get some advice on pubs, places that are must sees and if anyone else is traveling then. We are in our mid 30's, with a great sense of adventure. Thanks in advance for your help.
Jan 17th, 2005, 03:18 PM

The 1st thing to do is reserve your rooms in Dublin. They fill up fast and it may be hard to find open rooms.

Advice on pubs is pretty tough as they are everywhere and it depends on where you go. Ask Siobhan and cailin for Dublin pubs.

The southwest is usually the popular choice and the weather will be sketchy anywhere you go. It will tend to be a bit cooler to the north, so as much as I love the north, that may be for another trip at a different time of year. Of course it could be rainy in the south and sunny in the north, who knows. No one goes to Ireland for the weather.

Tourism will be low at that time of year but quite a few things won't be open. Slightly larger towns will offer more to do than very small ones. I'll give you a small list, but don't try to do them all, pick a few instead.

South of Dublin:

Glendalough
Kilkenny
Waterford if you are a huge waterford crystal fan
Cashel (the Rock)
Cahir (Castle and Swiss cottage)
Kinsale
Mizen Head (if you can get there, it's beautiful and wild)

Heading North up the west coast:

Beara Peninsula
Iveragh (Ring of Kerry)
Kenmare
Killarney (not crowded at that time of year)
Dingle
Doolin and the Cliffs of Moher
Ennis (for another music option)
Bunratty for the castle and Folk Park
Galway, good sized city with a lot to offer
Connemara if you go that far.

This is just looking at the south and west and there is plenty to do along the east coast and the southeast if you so desire. This is just off the top of my head and represents what many look forward to seeing with some out of the way places also.

Bill
Jan 18th, 2005, 03:05 AM

Check out www.laterooms.com for hotels at better rates. The closer you book the better the price. Let us know the area you are in then I can reccommend pubs as there are 100's. What types of places do you like? Trad? Trendy? All are here in Dublin.

Jan 18th, 2005, 04:42 AM

I'll double the recommendation for the south.

Glendalough -- south of Dublin, in the Wicklow mountains (or just south?) An old abbey and churchgrounds with a round tower that I re-visit every time I go to Ireland. Beautiful setting and grounds, a real sense of history there.

Powerscourt falls and gardens -- north of Glendalough, a 18th century house and gardens and (I think) the tallest waterfall in Ireland -- a nice scenic park, great for a picnic.

Kilkenny -- south-central Ireland. Nice little city, great castle. ALso nearby is Jerpoint Abbey, a great ruin just south of Kilkenny.

Rock of Cashel -- a truly impressive castle turned church. Was the stronghold of Brian Boru 1000 years ago. ALso on property is a nice little museum of 'the culture of Ireland' (music and art). It's sort of hidden behind the parking lot and underground.

The Ring of Kerry has got lots of descriptions in Fodors, so I'll let you find those

Have fun!

Jan 19th, 2005, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info............we like more laid back pubs, friendly people and traditional music. We have 8 days after our two nights in Dublin and we are open for suggestions. My wife's parents are from Cavan..so we are trying to find a place to stay there.